Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My name is Geoff. I’m located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas and am excited to be getting my first bike later this year. I’m completely green to motorcycles minus a handful of dirt bike rides when I was a teenager. I’ll be taking my motorcycle safety course in September and am currently chomping at the bit to get out and start riding! Joined up here because from all my post lurking it seems that it’s a mellow group of fellas that hangout here. Here’s to the beginning of a journey!

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Hi Geoff, yep pretty mellow and quiet around here these days, not a lot of traffic. So feel free to start some discussion!
Are you looking at getting a CBR300R or CB300R/F?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Geoff, yep pretty mellow and quiet around here these days, not a lot of traffic. So feel free to start some discussion!
Are you looking at getting a CBR300R or CB300R/F?
Thanks kiwi. After reading through so many posts on this forum, I value your guidance and advice you’ve given regarding this bike over the years. I’ve been lusting after a red CBR300R as of late. When I was growing up I remember the growl of my fathers CBR600RR and have loved the looks of this family of bikes ever since. Sadly he sold it when I about seven and moved the family to another state. I talked with my local Honda rep for twenty minutes this afternoon on my lunch hour and was given an earful and laundry list as to why I shouldn't purchase the 300R. Not what I was hoping to hear. The main argument I was fed was how I am too tall (6’2” 200lbs) and will kill any limited fun this bike has, given my stature. He tried up selling me on a 600r.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Thanks kiwi. After reading through so many posts on this forum, I value your guidance and advice you’ve given regarding this bike over the years. I’ve been lusting after a red CBR300R as of late. When I was growing up I remember the growl of my fathers CBR600RR and have loved the looks of this family of bikes ever since. Sadly he sold it when I about seven and moved the family to another state. I talked with my local Honda rep for twenty minutes this afternoon on my lunch hour and was given an earful and laundry list as to why I shouldn't purchase the 300R. Not what I was hoping to hear. The main argument I was fed was how I am too tall (6’2” 200lbs) and will kill any limited fun this bike has, given my stature. He tried up selling me on a 600r.
Oh yeah, typical salesman! Does he not realise that you have already sat on the bike and tried it for size lol. The 300R would be an ideal start. If you did want something a bit roomier and powerful then the 500R would be a better bet than the expensive 600R

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, typical salesman! Does he not realise that you have already sat on the bike and tried it for size lol. The 300R would be an ideal start. If you did want something a bit roomier and powerful then the 500R would be a better bet than the expensive 600R
Exactly! I wasn’t uncomfortable on the 300 in the slightest. I went back again today and was unfortunately fed a similar line by another salesman. They really seem to have a vendetta against “beginner bikes” at the dealership. So, frustrated with the boys at Honda not being willing to listen to what I was shopping for, I stopped off at my local Yamaha dealer. I was thoroughly schooled on the R3 and have to admit, I’m really considering it over the Honda now. It seems for the type of riding I’ll be doing because of demographics, the extra power of the R3 would be a help with all the highway miles I would be stacking up. And being able to tweak the stock suspension on the R3 sounds like something that would be fun to mess with and keep me even more interested in the bike. During my trip, I made no mention of the salesmen at Honda; just that I was considering a CBR300R. The Yamaha guys were just totally down with their little R3 and it was genuinely nice. They seemed to really talk it up and are proud of how good a little bike they feel it is. One of the employees let me check out and fire his up. They were helpful and genuinely a cool bunch of guys. Nobody in my area is doing test rides due to COVID so I’m flying blind as far as how the bikes perform so that’s a bummer... we’ll see which I end up with. I know for a fact that I would like to stay in the 300cc bracket for insurance reasons. So that effectively knocks the CBR500R off my radar (even though I absolutely love the looks). I’ll probably end up checking out another Honda dealer next time I make it out to Sacramento and see if they have any better feelings about their 300cc’s.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
All sounds good. I'm riding a Ninja 400 these days, same weight as the R3 but with a few more ponies to play with. Not sure how they all compare price wise in your area but it's another option perhaps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hadn’t really considered a ninja, but will definitely check them out. There is essentially little to no used market where I am at the moment but after checking the local Kawasaki dealers website, it would appear that they go for about a $1000 more than the R3. It shows two abs on the showroom so I’ll have to swing by and check them out next chance I get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts