Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Missing Shifts on my CB300F

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  kiwi rider 
#1 ·
I am loving my 300F but there is one thing it does that I am wondering if anyone else has experienced. It misses shifts from 2 to 3. I pull in the clutch and bring the shifter up and feel it hard against the top of it's travel but there is no click and when I release the clutch of course the bike revs similar to a downshift because it hasn't shifted to the next gear. This is a problem especially in city driving in traffic when there is a car behind you and then you are no longer accelerating. It does this randomly from time to time usually a couple of times on each ride. I end up coasting with the clutch in and pulling up a couple of times on the shift lever until it clicks but then after that the rest of the gear changes work perfectly. It never misses downshifts, they work perfectly. Can anyone give me a reason why this might be happening?

#2 ·
I'm thinking that your shift pedal pivot shaft is in need of some lubrication. I experienced similar symptoms on my CBR250R shortly after I bought it. When I pulled the shift pedal off of the pivot shaft, I found that the factory didn't put much lube on it. A good coating of grease or Anti-Seize Compound does the trick. Since then I've been re-lubing it at every oil change.

#4 ·
Let us know if that takes care of the issue.

#5 ·
I finally got a chance to take a look at it and there are actually 3 pivoting joints on the shifter. I have not worked on motorcycles before so I am a little hesitant to start removing things. Is there more specific instructions on which one I should start with?

#7 ·
This ^

#8 ·
If your linkages are all well lubed then you either need to adjust the linkage very slightly or try and do a more puposefull shift. If u trust someone else let the try your bike see if it does that for them, mine was cluncky at first but is great now.
I find on minec a light quick movement is all that's needed to shift not a slow forcefull movement.

Mark

#9 ·
Since it only does it going from 2-3 I am going to bring it in and have it looked at. I am thinking there may be something internal causing it. It never does it with any other shift change up or down. Only the 2-3 up shift. I really appreciate everyone's input, this is a great group of people!

#10 ·
Since it only does it going from 2-3 I am going to bring it in and have it looked at. I am thinking there may be something internal causing it. It never does it with any other shift change up or down. Only the 2-3 up shift. I really appreciate everyone's input, this is a great group of people!
It's nice to be appreciated, thanks! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.