Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all!

So I decided on a Two Brothers Tarmac Full System with K&N Filter and now waiting for my Power Commander Fuel Controller to arrive!! Have looked everywhere on the net trying to find a "how to" for the fuel tank removal.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum Angelus. Ive never had to take my tank off yet so I cant help but I'm sure it's relatively straight forward. One of the guys or gals on here may have experience tho.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I had to take it off to get to the Air Injection Solenoid when I plugged up the hose. It was not a fun job. Just a tip....do it with an semi-empty tank of gas as you have to unplug the gas line. I looked into the power commander a lot before just deciding to plug up the solenoid. I decided against it because every mod I make on my bike I try to make totally reversible so it would go back to stock OEM state. With the power commander there is some splicing of wires etc that I didn't care to do. Also I don't like the idea of fake sensors running my bike.
But I believe if you search youtube there are videos on removing the tank off of CBR's just not the 300, but they should be basically the same idea

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Perhaps the 300 tank is installed the same as the CBR 250 Tank. I'm sure there would be plenty of Youtube videos for 250 R tank removal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the replies, the power commander i'm getting has OEM connectors, no splicing, the only wire that will have a small hole from using a posi-tap is the throttle position sensor. It would not be noticeable if inspected. So you can bring the bike back to factory state.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hey thanks for the replies, the power commander i'm getting has OEM connectors, no splicing, the only wire that will have a small hole from using a posi-tap is the throttle position sensor. It would not be noticeable if inspected. So you can bring the bike back to factory state.

Cheers!
My bike only has 4 months left on the factory warranty (only 1 year here in the States btw). So yah that was part of my decision before buying an a/f controller. If I had a problem in that area I would have to remove the controller before bringing it in for service.
After installing your exhaust and air filter are you having any symptoms of the engine running too lean? After I did the same 2 things my bike was running a bit lean and had a little idle issue but plugging up the Air Injection Solenoid cured it

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
My bike only has 4 months left on the factory warranty (only 1 year here in the States btw). So yah that was part of my decision before buying an a/f controller. If I had a problem in that area I would have to remove the controller before bringing it in for service.
After installing your exhaust and air filter are you having any symptoms of the engine running too lean? After I did the same 2 things my bike was running a bit lean and had a little idle issue but plugging up the Air Injection Solenoid cured it
Mikal: That sucks only 1 year warranty. We get 2 years in the UK and can extend it for another 2 if you want to pay the extra.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Mikal: That sucks only 1 year warranty. We get 2 years in the UK and can extend it for another 2 if you want to pay the extra.
In Canada + the US you can for a fee..(Canada..$345.00)

Perhaps that is another reason you guys in the UK/Aus/NZ pay so much more than "we" do in N.America. (That extra 1 year warranty)

Reactions: mikal and dsimmo

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After installing your exhaust and air filter are you having any symptoms of the engine running too lean?
I have read all over the place that these bikes come from the factory running lean, so the sooner I get this PCFC installed the better. I'm only riding short distances 6-10 km a day and at low speeds so don't think the motor is getting to hot.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have read all over the place that these bikes come from the factory running lean, so the sooner I get this PCFC installed the better. I'm only riding short distances 6-10 km a day and at low speeds so don't think the motor is getting to hot.
You don't have to worry about it getting hot at all. Lean is good. Lean is better MPG and you actually get a bigger BOOM upon detonation. Now TOO much lean is bad but believe me with just those 2 mods you have done you will do no damage to that engine whatsoever

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it has been installed, I'm a little peeved that there are no custom maps for my CBR with the Tarmac Exhaust and K&N Filter, but I made a slight adjustment to the High rage Pot and went for a test ride. I does seem to have more power, but until I can get it on a dyno I won't know for sure. Hardest part of the install was getting the fairings off. I didn't (couldn't) remove them fully, just moved them enough for access to everything I needed to get to. Also this Fuel Controller can be removed and the bike will be back to stock with no evidence of tampering.

No photos because everything was hidden within the bike frame.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Lean only damages the engine when it misfires, and mainly using at max performance (8500RPM wide open throttle).
I've read from the stoic mixture of 14.7:1 air:fuel, you can go as low as 16:1 for more economy.
As the fuel heats up in the combustion cycle, there is an overage of air molecules that expand with the fuel as the temperature increases.
So you get very similar performance with less fuel.

Too much air would prevent certain fuel to combust until in the exhaust pipe (or at the catalytic converter).
Signs of running too lean are when decelerating, a popping exhaust.

I have only noticed once a popping exhaust on the CBR, and that was when I hard blipped the throttle right after a decel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts