Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quote from a dealer in Oregon (I live in Washington) for a CBR300RF.

My question is why there is an F at the end? does this stand for fairing?
I've see bike models for the ABS version that end with an A, but never with an F.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Good question. I'll take a guess if it's okay, and I very likely could be incorrect.

I think RF categorizes both the fairing (R) and naked (F) bike to keep it uniform in identifying as one model.

Not sure about the ABS - usually just see "ABS" attached along.

Just thought I'd take a whack at your question - I'm open to corrections?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
It's just how Honda identifies the model year of the bike... the letter F is used to identify the 2015 model year. My 2012 CBR250R has a C after the R.

These model year letter codes are also found in the VIN number on Honda motorcycles, just before the production number of that particular bike.

For example, a 2015 CBR300R will have a VIN that looks like this: MLHNC510 - F5100001.

A 2012 CBR250R has this VIN: MLHMC410 - C5200001

·
Registered
26 Posts
The CBR300RF is the standard CBR300R without ABS. The CBR300RA is the same bike with ABS installed.

I just purchased a CBR300RF.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The owner's manual for my CB300F lists the bike(s) as the CB300F/FA. The inside cover says the FA designates it as a Canadian model, so maybe it's related to that.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
The owner's manual for my CB300F lists the bike(s) as the CB300F/FA. The inside cover says the FA designates it as a Canadian model, so maybe it's related to that.
In the case of your CB300, the F or FA is just part of the full model number. A CB300F is a non ABS model. Whereas a CB300FA is an ABS equipped model (which was not available in the US).

What we're talking about here is the OP's CBR300R having an "F" after the R, which as I explained in my earlier post, this letter is Honda's model year designator. These letters are used by Honda in both the VIN, and in official documents like Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO), and selling dealer's invoices, warranty paperwork, etc.

2010's Honda's have an A in the VIN to identify the model year...

2011's have a B...

2012's have a C...

2013's have a D...

2014's have an E...

2015's have an F...

2016's will have a G...

... and so on.

From 2001 through 2009, Honda used a numeric system... 2001 used the number 1 as the model year code.

At the end of the day, all this doesn't mean much to those of us who buy these bikes new. It is however a definitive way to figure out what the model year of an older Honda motorcycle is. And that becomes important for ordering parts.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Great explanation Mike...Thanks.:)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Mine has the CBR300RA-F (UK Model) has abs and fairing in Tri-Colour.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Mike,

The 2015 models in Canada are CBR300RA and CBR300RF. 'A' signifying the ABS model and the 'F' signifying the non-ABS model.

They may change the letters from year to year but the A at the end is being used on the 2015 model and therefore is not exclusively to signify a 2011 model.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hey Mike,

The 2015 models in Canada are CBR300RA and CBR300RF. 'A' signifying the ABS model and the 'F' signifying the non-ABS model.

They may change the letters from year to year but the A at the end is being used on the 2015 model and therefore is not exclusively to signify a 2011 model.
I don't think you're understanding how Honda uses the alpha-numeric system to identify the model year of their bikes.

I'm not referring to the A which is used after the R on the CBR300RA... I know that A is used there to ID the model as an ABS. It's used for all of the 2011 -2013 CBR250RA's as well.

As dsimmo posted above, the 2015 CBR300RA also uses the letter F... CBR300RAF. So as you can see, the letter F is not used to identify the bike as a non-ABS. If you were to look at a 2012 CBR250's, you would find the that the model numbers are CBR250RC & CBR250RAC.

BTW, it is 2010 models that use the letter A as the model year identifier.

2011's use the letter B

2012's use the letter C, and so on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
and then when you look at parts, there's a group of letters. They correspond to the color scheme. (if you want to buy a piece of fairing, gas tank... anything with paint on it). The color info is located under the passenger seat usually.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Honda Part #'s

This question doesn't apply to the Model # identification codes, but rather deciphering Honda Part #'s.
The part #'s below are for the Oil Filter Covers for the cbr300r and the crf250l. Does anyone know what the middle 3 alpha digits mean? Other than those 3 digits the part # is the same. The engine case colors on the 2 bikes are different so I'm thinking that's what they refer to.

CBR300R - COVER, OIL FILTER 15411-KYJ-900
CRF250L - COVER, OIL FILTER 15411-KZZ-900

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
This question doesn't apply to the Model # identification codes, but rather deciphering Honda Part #'s.
The part #'s below are for the Oil Filter Covers for the cbr300r and the crf250l. Does anyone know what the middle 3 alpha digits mean? Other than those 3 digits the part # is the same. The engine case colors on the 2 bikes are different so I'm thinking that's what they refer to.

CBR300R - COVER, OIL FILTER 15411-KYJ-900
CRF250L - COVER, OIL FILTER 15411-KZZ-900

Thanks!
The 3 middle letters in a Honda part number is known as a "model identifier", indicating the first motorcycle model that particular part was used on. In the case of parts using 'KYJ', they were first used for the 2011 CBR250R/RA and then on subsequent model years of the CBR250R/RA, as well as the CBR300R/RA.

As for the 'KZZ' Oil filter Cover, it is essentially the same part as the 'KYJ' Oil Filter Cover. Only difference is that the cover for a CRF250L is painted a different color for that model.

Reactions: mikal
1 - 16 of 16 Posts