Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a little torn about whether or not I'm going to do any mods. I'm wondering whether or not people have had any issues with resale value due to the addition of certain mods. If I do end up doing some, they will most likely be functional mods, as opposed those that are mostly for appearance.

I'm torn because I know that even though I plan on enjoying this bike for a few years at least, I will most likely move on to something else. I don't want to put anything on the bike that will make potential buyers look at and say, "What the heck did you do to the bike?!"

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
What are you thinking about doing to it?

Anything that is "bolt on" can be removed if/when you decide to sell the bike... just keep the original parts so that you can return the bike to stock. While some people will buy a used bike that has been modified, I think the majority of used bike buyers prefer one that is in its original stock form.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Anything that is "bolt on" can be removed if/when you decide to sell the bike... just keep the original parts so that you can return the bike to stock.
Good advice, I did this with my 250R. It was a bit time consuming as I had to change the handle bars, exhaust, tail tidy and indicators back to standard and re-fit the pillion pegs. But it was worth it as I could then fit those aftermarket parts to my 300 and the 250 looked really mint as nothing was scratched or faded.
I paid $6500 for the 250 and got $5000 back a year later with 5,500 miles on clock and a worn rear tyre.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
stock muffler/cat is a functional change, which potential buyers
might not choose, and new stock mufflers cost hundreds of $
so if you take off they must go somewhere, so why not
wrap and box it and put it under your bed for later..

buyers wont complain about magnetic sump plugs,
good tyres or chains or matching bar ends and covers etc..
but, you can still keep even these in your stock box..

check out restorations of older motorcycles
and how important it is to get original parts..

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Stock and in original form is always stronger or at least more stable on resale, in my opinion. As others have mentioned, bolt-on's are safer to go with, and then remove and sell separately afterwards.

It's very common for buyers asking if one still has the original parts handy... That shows the importance right there.

Good luck... And remember, modifications are meant for the current owner to enjoy the personalized change or "spice" to the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just recently sold a 2009 Suzuki TU250X which was completely stock when I bought it & stayed completely stock during the 2+ years that I owned it,

I intentionally kept it that way because even when I bought the bike I anticipated that I may not keep it & in the end I did not, nothing wrong with the bike it was a great bike but for me specifically in looking for a 2nd bike in the end I was just kicking the tires on it

when it cam time to sell the TUX for the buyer it came down to two almost identical bikes same year/color etc, one slightly moded with after market slip on exhaust & probably other mods that I could not see because I only saw a pic of the other bike, vs my bike that was a blank canvas, my bike was chosen for the purchase totally because it was a stock bike just like it cam off the showroom floor six years ago & never even ridden in bad weather etc

so mods do matter when it comes time to sell a bike, advise give a lot of thought to mods & the impact of resale value to a potential buyer, bolt ons can be easily mitigated vs more permanent mods original parts available or not

1 - 9 of 9 Posts