Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm about to start reassembly of my engine, and the service manual calls for the use of "Molybdenum oil solution" in quite a few places. Section 1 of the engine manual describes it as "a mixture of 1/2 engine oil and 1/2 molybdenum disufide grease".

I've got the offically recommended pro-honda GN4 engine oil, but i havent found anything satisfying for the Molybdenum disulfide grease.
  • I found honda "assembly paste" (08798-9010), but it doesnt say grease on it, and i separately would have expected to see that part number listed in the service manual if this was the recommended stuff.
  • I found a yamaha product called "yamalube", but i cant help but wonder if this product is intended to be "thinned" with engine oil, or if yamaha made it with the intention of NOT being thinned
  • Napa, Autozone, Oreilly, and Advanced Auto all sell a "moybdenum fortified" grease, but those seem like lithium grease that just has some moly in it. is that the same thing as what Honda says i should use??

Help me CBR300-forum-kenobi....you're my only hope.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's one of those things you really don't need to do-just make sure all moving parts have oil on them and the sump has the right amount in it- and if possible turn the engine over for about 20 seconds or so without the sparkplug in using the electric starter

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
depends how long before you start it up..
'grease' component is to protect surfaces from wear at first startup..
[eg, cam lobes, bearing surfaces etc]
startup after assembly and oil should not have drained away yet,,
grease clings to wear sensitive surfaces surfaces, which oil washes away on startup/first run - thus change oil and filter soon after..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts