Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello:

My motorcycle so far has shut off on my twice when coming to a stop.

Most recently happened today a few hours ago when coming home on a busy street. I tried to start it again but it would not, I ended up pushing it off to the side and waited a little while, and finally it started, I rode home cautiously.

First time it happened was the same situation I was coming to a stop bike shut off, but it turned on again when I tried the starter button. (I was lucky to have had the camera mounted on the handlebars at the time here is a video I just uploaded of the incident.)

https://youtu.be/ZDm7YT5IIbM

I am wondering if this is because of the Starter relay switch, which I have taken it in to get replaced per recall.

Also to add icing on the cake my warranty ended 3 weeks ago.

Edit: No Engine Check light goes on during or after.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I coasted to the stop light and had the clutch disengaged while going about 30 miles an hour, I will find the video of when I did the same thing and try to replicate it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You might just need to set the idle speed a little higher.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine has done this twice and it only has 60 miles on it. Stalling it out is a possibility indeed. Will definitely know for sure next time it happens.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
You might just need to set the idle speed a little higher.
AFAIK JNO you cant adjust the idle speed yourself because its fuel injected. Possibly at the honda shop when they plug into your bikes ECU tho.

Wait...just had a nosey on the 250R site, it appears there is a screw on the throttle body marked with white paint that your not supposed to adjust according to Honda.
Of course there is numerous conflicting posts with some saying you can adjust it and that Honda only says that for emission reasons and others saying you cant as it messes with the fueling,
dont ya just love the internet. :laugh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello:

My motorcycle so far has shut off on my twice when coming to a stop.

Most recently happened today a few hours ago when coming home on a busy street. I tried to start it again but it would not, I ended up pushing it off to the side and waited a little while, and finally it started, I rode home cautiously.

First time it happened was the same situation I was coming to a stop bike shut off, but it turned on again when I tried the starter button. (I was lucky to have had the camera mounted on the handlebars at the time here is a video I just uploaded of the incident.)

https://youtu.be/ZDm7YT5IIbM

I am wondering if this is because of the Starter relay switch, which I have taken it in to get replaced per recall.

Also to add icing on the cake my warranty ended 3 weeks ago.

Edit: No Engine Check light goes on during or after.

Keep us posted. I’m experiencing same issues; however, I’m using a EJK fuel controller, so it might have different root cause. In last 1000 miles or so it stalled 4 times while coasting.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Could be a fuel quality issue. For anyone experiencing these random engine stalls, you might want to try switching to non-ethanol, pure gasoline.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could be a fuel quality issue. For anyone experiencing these random engine stalls, you might want to try switching to non-ethanol, pure gasoline.
Yep, ethanol is my biggest suspect. I'm sticking to Shell and BP gas, however, as far as I know, mid-west does not have pure gasoline option any more. What's your opinion on changing octane grade? I'm running mostly on 87 and tried 89 for a while - I did not notice any differences.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ive had this a couple times. Pretty sure its one of the possible symptoms of the fualty relay.

I only had mine changed a couple weeks ago. Nothing since. Always run bp ultimate so wasnt a fuel issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking about fuel being a possible culprit as well, I did fill up not to long ago at a different gas station. Normally I go to a dirt cheap truck stop with no ethanol stickers on the machines. The last time I filled up though was with Shell and they had ethanol stickers on the pumps.

I am going to talk to the dealer and also file a NHSTA report for the incident, and every time it happens from now on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
On my Speed Triple if you blip the throttle in just the wrong way and then let off completely I can get it to die, same with if you do an emergency stop under extreme conditions you will usually stall the bike. Keep in mind a manual gear-box likes to be in gear, not in neutral. In the end, lots of really good bikes have slightly finicky fuelling to the engine coughcoughDucaticoughcough and can require some attention (if it isn't a fuel quality thing as already mentioned)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Yep, ethanol is my biggest suspect. I'm sticking to Shell and BP gas, however, as far as I know, mid-west does not have pure gasoline option any more. What's your opinion on changing octane grade? I'm running mostly on 87 and tried 89 for a while - I did not notice any differences.
Here's a website listing stations in the U.S. & Canada that carry non-ethanol gasoline: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

You may have to go a bit out of the way to buy it, but IMO it's worth it. I've been using non-ethanol fuel in all of my bikes and small engines (small outboard, Stihl chainsaws & trimmer) for some time now and I can honestly say that it does make a difference, in both running performance and easy starting.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
On my Speed Triple if you blip the throttle in just the wrong way and then let off completely I can get it to die, same with if you do an emergency stop under extreme conditions you will usually stall the bike. Keep in mind a manual gear-box likes to be in gear, not in neutral. In the end, lots of really good bikes have slightly finicky fuelling to the engine coughcoughDucaticoughcough and can require some attention (if it isn't a fuel quality thing as already mentioned)
This ex-Ducati rider heard that! :mad::mad::mad:

Jking :laugh:

·
Registered
188 Posts
After watching your videos I can see that you need to learn how to change gears properly.

You pull the clutch in and coast at tick over then you engage a gear that is too low for your speed without blipping the throttle to match the revs.

So the engine is being forced from tick over to high revs with out any throttle resulting in fuel starvation.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
After watching your videos I can see that you need to learn how to change gears properly.

You pull the clutch in and coast at tick over then you engage a gear that is too low for your speed without blipping the throttle to match the revs.

So the engine is being forced from tick over to high revs with out any throttle resulting in fuel starvation.
I haven't watched the video, but that's basically the definition of engine braking. Fuel starvation isn't an issue. The fuelling system should provide enough fuel to maintain idle, even when doing this. You could technically say the engine is running very lean, but unlike old strokers that needed fuel mix in order to stay lubricated, a four stroke engine won't be damaged by closing the throttle and using engine braking.

It should not stall the engine though, unless you leave it in too high a gear as you roll to a stop and don't pull the clutch in in time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts