Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there guys.... need some advice from any of you that may have had to transport your bike(s) to another state.

Im getting ready to head to San Antonio this Saturday and I was thinking about using a carrier to transport my bike for me, instead of me renting a truck and paying someone like U-Haul for mileage on their truck. It would be cool grand easy I think. I found a few companies that cost about $500 to ship.

Any suggestions or companies that you all have used?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I don't know of any motorcycle specific transport companies (similar to those car transport companies).

I think most (if not all) LTL freight companies would require a motorcycle to be crated, not only for protecting the bike, but so that it can be easily moved in and out of terminals and trailers by forklifts/pallet jacks.

Assuming you are driving some sort of four wheeled vehicle to San Antonio, why not rent one of U-Haul's motorcycle trailers? Trailer rentals do not have mileage charges, like their trucks do.

Another option would be to buy (new or used) one of those small lightweight single rail motorcycle trailers, which you can always sell if you don't think you'll need it again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Read up on www.uship.com Many success stories and a good way to save money. A reverse eBay for bike moving. Read the reviews and see if it is something you would feel comfortable with using.

Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Small Harbor Freight trailer works great. I've trailer bikes all over with it and you can pull it with anything with a hitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a friend that has used https://motorcycleshippers.com/ multiple times when buying out of state over CycleTrader, they'll ship to your door in most cases. Not sure where you're located but doing a quote from Iowa to Texas with the standard $7,000 coverage they quoted me $595.00

·
Registered
151 Posts
outside the box thinking would the Honda dealership themselves move it? they usually have the facilities?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took care of it. Went to Haulbikes.com to have it shipped from MO to TX. About $600. Took almost 3 weeks, but I had to travel most of that time anyway, so it worked out.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does anyone use a motorcycle trailer? I never have, but I may need to. I have a hitch on my pickup and could rent a U-haul trailer, but was wondering if there are some simple but safe trailers you can buy. Do all of those need license plates? I could never run a bike up on a narrow ramp into the back of a pickup truck the way some people do. Do you ride a bike into a U-Haul motorcycle trailer or walk it in. I think it would be easier for me to ride it in. How have you done it safely?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hmmm... This brings to mind that I may need to pick up a truck and trailer later in the future if I decide to take my bike to the track...

Doesn't hurt to dream. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
I built my own multi purpose trailer for moving my bikes around but also put a plywood deck on it (7' x 4') so I can transport green waste, garden soil etc.
The main thing is to keep the deck height low by placing the axle on top of the leaf springs rather than underneath. Makes it easier to load & off load. I can ride the bikes up quite comfortably.
Cost about 500 USD for all the parts and steel and I welded it up myself.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks Kiwi. I have never moved a motorcycle myself but with 4 bikes, it seems likely that good luck can't last. The local dealer has a ramp and he fast walks the bike up this skinny steep ramp...stepping up into his van at just the right time. I could never do that. I checked into registration of trailers and it's $45 a year to register them. I think I can rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer for $25 or so a day and since I've never needed to trailer a motorcycle yet, I guess it's a bit ridiculous for me to even consider buying a small fold-up trailer for $1800 or so, registering it every year just, storing it in my garage just in case I need it. What prompted this is my local Zero dealer is leaving...moving his operation 60 miles away...out of range of my electric motorcycle and it kind of freaks me out. I do own a Ford truck with a hitch, so I guess I could just rent a U-haul trailer and trailer it over to the new location or even pay the dealer or someone else to come and get it if if breaks down. I was also thinking I might go to the track with all my bikes (one bike at a time) if I did have a trailer. Thing is, our local track...15 miles away doesn't have track days. What you have to do is pay a $1100 initiation fee plus a $130 a month I think, then you can ride most Mondays, so that's another idea that might be expensive and perhaps I won't like the track. Heck, maybe I could just ride the bike over to the track instead of dealing with a trailer, but I don't know the protocol. I might need a trailer and truck for gear, stands, tires, etc. I'll have to check more into all this before I make an uninformed move.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I checked into it and the trailer I would want, a Kendon, sells for $2600 and you have to register it for $45 yearly, then do some heavy lifting to disassemble the ramp for storage and find a place to keep it. The U-Haul motorcycle trailer rents for $15 a day and they attach and detach the trailer. This turned out to be a no-brainer for me, but I'm glad I looked into it. It would be different if I went to the track a lot, but I don't, and if I ever do, I will buy a trailer then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts