Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know how else to say this. On Feb. 2, 2020 I became confused and wasn't making any sense. Long story short, I was air lifted by Flight For life to a Trauma 1 center in Denver in the middle of the night.

On Feb. 6th, I had surgery to the left side of my brain, removing a sizable Melanoma tumor. On Feb. 10th I was released from the hospital. This past Thursday, Feb 27 I began the first of four radiation treatments.

All in all, I am doing well. I am strong, and I will survive this.

Will update this thread as I recover.

Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi MM
So sorry to hear about your problem but glad you are now recovering. I wish you all the best for a good recovery and look forward to hearing you are back on your bike. We will then know you are really OK.
Don.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MM
So sorry to hear about your problem but glad you are now recovering. I wish you all the best for a good recovery and look forward to hearing you are back on your bike. We will then know you are really OK.
Don.
Thanks Don... I appreciate that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
All the very best Mike.
It sounds like you have good people on your side. And a loving spouse can be the best medicine.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Backstory...

On the afternoon of Feb 1st, I was up on the mountain for a ride on my snowmobile. I had been experiencing numbness in my right hand, to the point where I was having difficulty controlling the throttle smoothly. To be fair, I'd noticed this numbness a couple weeks earlier and just chalked it up as tendinites from splitting firewood.

Fast forward to 11 pm that evening, when my wife noticed my confusion and nonsensical thoughts. She point blank said that we needed to get down to town to the hospital, and now. Of course being stubborn I said "no", there's nothing wrong. Yet I knew something was not right in my brain... again the confusing thought patterns. In the ER, they gave me a MRI scan and found a sizable tumor in my left hemisphere. But they could not offer treatment at our local hospital, so by 3 am I was on a gurney being loaded into a Flight For Life charter plane out of Durango, CO and headed for a Trauma One medical center in Denver, CO.

Later that same morning, additional CT & MRI scans revealed a 4 cm tumor in my left hemisphere, along with two smaller 1.5 cm tumors in the right hemisphere, which according to my Neurosurgeon & Oncologist are Stage 4 Melanoma (In 2015 I was first diagnosed with Melanoma tumor on my left bicep, which was surgically excised at that time). On the morning of Feb 6, I underwent an 8 hour surgery to remove the 4 cm tumor. The two other smaller tumors were treated last Thursday using focused radiation. I have three more radiation treatments this coming week to "clean up" the edges of the the larger surgically resected tumor. After that, my Oncologist will determine the best course of action, based on the pathology lab's tissue studies, for ongoing treatments.

All I can say is that while my Neurosurgeon, Oncologists, and other Doctors & Nurses are doing the hard work, it was my wife who literally saved my life. Words cannot begin to express my love for her and my 6 yr old daughter.

I'm 60 years young. I'm strong, and I will survive this. And yet life can pass in a blink of the eye. Let those you love know how you feel about them every chance you get.

~ Mike

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
... my wife noticed my confusion and nonsensical thoughts.
Surely this is not the first time no? :laugh: ;)

Seriously tho Mike, wishing you a speedy and full recovery there mate.
We're lucky living in the western world to have access to great emergency transportation and medical care facilities. I'm glad you benefited from that and your being looked after well. All the best and keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
mate, the essence here is speedy intervention, which you seem to have had - thanks to your beloved, and to all involved including yourself recognising/accepting something seriously wrong..

theyve got it now, but you will need monitoring as part of your ongoing treatment,, as its difficult to be certain of getting every cell, especially brain.. my removal from nose required two follow up smaller surgeries to get remnants missed by excellent surgeons, as they warned first time..
being fit and healthy physically is good, but for cancer vigilance together with effective healing systems are also necessary, such as immune and endo-cannabinoid systems.. plant based cannabinoids can be beneficial

for some.. good sound sleep is also beneficial [as is traditional meditation] for access to healing phases of sleep both including the fourth state of consciousness known to sleep science and to yogis, where natural healing happens.. as an active man 'just sitting' or taking naps may not seem relevant to you, but the basis is rest,, which is common to us all - especially when mind/body are under stress...
and thanks for sharing this with your distant friends...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Mike,

I will keep you and your family in my prayers and wish you a fast recovery. You may benefit from reading the book:

Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One – by Dr. Joe Dispenza

In that book the Author overcomes a major healing crisis by activating a technique of "self-healing"

·
Registered
152 Posts
Keep at it Mike. This is going to be a long hard fight. Now is a good time to read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance “. It will take your mind away from your problems. Not because of its zen-like teachings, but because you’ll be sleeping a lot out of boredom ��

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep at it Mike. This is going to be a long hard fight. Now is a good time to read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance “. It will take your mind away from your problems. Not because of its zen-like teachings, but because you’ll be sleeping a lot out of boredom ��
Excellent idea... it's been a number of years since I read it last. Think I'll stop off a the library and check out today.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance about 4 years ago. Very interesting . Must have meant a lot more to you chaps over the pond as you will know the places rather than them just being a name as they are for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance about 4 years ago. Very interesting . Must have meant a lot more to you chaps over the pond as you will know the places rather than them just being a name as they are for me.

It was the weirdest book to me. Some parts I really got into, and some parts I could barely get through. I'm just an ordinary guy, but being obsessed with something so much that it actually drives you crazy is something I can't comprehend

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
It was the weirdest book to me. Some parts I really got into, and some parts I could barely get through. I'm just an ordinary guy, but being obsessed with something so much that it actually drives you crazy is something I can't comprehend
Yeah I gave up on it... I must be too much of a regular thinker as well :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
It was given to me by my riding pal who said he couldn't understand it. I read it for the travel bits etc. I never wonder WHY something is or not. I'm a straight thinker.:) Gave it back to him after reading it.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
persigs 'zen' is the best selling philosophy book of all time..
more importantly tho, he rode a black honda cb72 250 twin
my first motorcycle..

ultimately it doesnt matter if anyone likes it, or not..
still, as a vehicle for philosophical ideas etc,
a long ride on a honda with your son
and friend/his wife on their bmw
must be a good start...

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing that stood out for me in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, is where the author talked about how his friend with the BMW could not bring himself to attempt any sort 'on the road' repair on his bike. Rather, he felt far more comfortable handing his credit card over to a mechanic, preferable a certified BMW tech. In short, Persigs friend avoided the entire concept of motorcycle maintenance. What Persigs friend was really avoiding was learning, both about his bike, and more importantly, about himself.

So if the reader can get past some of the high minded philosophical ideas put forth, you'll see the the book is really about learning.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts