Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

If I push on my gas tank it squeaks. When I hit the smallest bump it squeaks. The faster I go the faster it squeaks to the point it sounds like rapid chirping. It squeaks when I push it around the parking area of my building. It doesn't affect performance at all but it sure is annoying.

I've been trying to solve it for six months. Played around with the body panels. Removed the bolts and put them back in. Didn't try spraying lube around the bolts yet. Maybe that will do it?

Anyone else have a squeaky gas tank? How did you fix it?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi, that's the first thing I would do or remove bolts and smear red rubber grease on the mounts.
Use lube that won't perish the rubber or plastic mounts. Check the petrol cap as well make sure its not that vibrating while riding.

Mark

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's not the gas cap because I can remove it and make the tank squeak by pressing down on it.

Can I use spray chain lube in a can? There isn't any warning on the can to keep away from rubber. I ask because I've got some on hand. Specifically, I have this (and it was super expensive!):

CEPSA-Motorcycle Maintenance

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would think so, your chain has o rings, does it make chirping noise, especially when cold?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 34C every day so I don't know if it would make the same noise when cold. :)

I'll try some things tomorrow and up date the OP for future viewers or continue complaining if I can't solve it.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
I'd recommend using proper rubber grease just encase. This is something we are very hot on at my place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved: It wasn't the gas tank, it was a side panel.

I suppose pressing on the tank was enough pressure to push on the (right) side panel and make it squeak. I removed both side panels and put some household oil on the plugs that 'snap' into the rubber grommets. There are two on each side.

Pounded my palm on the tank and banged against the steering lock without a peep. Both of those things would trigger the squeak with the slightest touch.

Just waiting for the roads to dry up so I can enjoy my first squeak free ride in months. Fingers crossed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts