Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn nail in my rear tire - time to replace it @ around the 400 mile mark.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Funny how Murphy's Law applies to motorcycle tires and nails... you never pick up a nail when the tire is nearly worn out and ready to be replaced anyway. It only seems to happen to when the tire is still new. :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rope plug
A repair quote from my local dealer is about $60+. A similar new rear tire is $250 installed, or about $350 for the exact new OEM rear.

What to do?

Funny how Murphy's Law applies to motorcycle tires and nails... you never pick up a nail when the tire is nearly worn out and ready to be replaced anyway. It only seems to happen to when the tire is still new. :(
I'm starting to find that out, but it could always be worse, haha...

I like how you're handling the situation though Fanatic.
The odds of being a new member and a "underdog" are against me, lol.

I have no choice but to gut it out and be as positive / neutral as possible. Either this, or surrender to the darkness of certain members - NEVER! :laugh:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I remember when I had my R6, it had a thick piece of metal molded into the rear tire. I couldn't tell if it was a nail or not, but the PSI on the tire hadn't changed for a few thousand miles afterwards. I don't remember ever changing it before I sold it lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the support, everyone - it means a lot!

On the other hand, I had a challenging day. Didn't expect the nail and on going flat. It was nerve racking trying to make sure I didn't damage the wheel or the bike because I'm still learning the bike, so I had to be very careful and alert, and make the wisest decisions while stopping to fill up air in between as the leak progressed and as I was figuring out and heading to the right shop to resolve this ASAP.

So after further research and speaking with multiple tire dealers in my area, it seemed logical to replace the rear tire even though I was given the option to repair for about $60+, but I didn't want to take the risk of applying a bandaid either since I was told that I only have two wheels compared to a car's four and it could be very bad if things were to go wrong, especially at highway speeds.

I wanted to match up and get the same tire which came on the bike, but that exact OEM rear tire was a bit expensive at about $300 and then another $50 - 70 for the labor plus taxes. Close to $400 for one rear tire was mind boggling. Not only that, it would take a week or two to get in from the factory. The OEM tires are based from the Dunlop factory in Japan. They are called the Sportmax D214 - 180/55 ZR17 size.

So I had to target the next closest tire since I'm an OEM type of guy, lol. I was recommended the Dunlop Q3's. And I know it's funny to replace both front and rear on a brand new bike this early, but I did so because I wanted to keep both tires with identical tread patterns and compounds. I even called Dunlop corporate for advice. At the end, I had made the decision to pull the trigger on the Q3's. Dunlop corporate was kind enough to mail me a $50 rebate form to help my case, so I'm thankful.

Total cost installed and tax for both tires was $380 and some change, minus the $50 rebate I'll get back, which would end up being a total of $330.

Honestly, it's very tough to swallow, but I wanted to get back riding again. I have close to 450 miles on the bike so far, and I'm becoming more and more comfortable riding it - almost as comfortable as riding the 300 but I can't speak to soon!

Attached are pictures of the damage and nail - it was long and went all the way through:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
That sucks. Well maybe you can still salvage those tires and sell them privately. You should still be able to recoup some more of that money.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That sucks. Well maybe you can still salvage those tires and sell them privately. You should still be able to recoup some more of that money.
The rear tire is gone I assume, but possibly could be repaired. Don't know how much I could get but it's not too big of a deal, I'll just keep them for my back up just in case, or may pick up a new rear from somewhere more affordable so I can install both together after the newer tires wear out.

Btw, thanks for your support on that other thread on the dark side - things went haywire and funny, haha. The thread needed it anyway, not worth taking things so seriously.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Man... You sure have had some $hit luck lately....really..it can only get better...:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
again rope plug, if the hole is clean round and the task done correct then it will last till you get to the wear bar. I have plug many moto tires and never had one fail that wasn't a cut. One time I had 3 rope plugs in a rear on my honda599 rode that thing till the wear bar. The good thing about tubeless tires is that even if the rope plug leaks it is slow just like the nail and you need to monitor it everyday for a week, after that time if all is good it will stay good.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It seems like every screw or nail I've picked up has always been on newer tires....never ones with 5,000 miles on them. It's also always been the rear tire. I wonder if the front tire stands the screw up, and the rear tire then picks it up? I've had good luck plugging tires.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting... What is the typical cost of rope plugging? And where would be a place that would be reasonable on getting this done?

I only found one dealer that offered to plug, but they were charging about $60 + some fees... The other dealer didn't want to take the risk and liability. I thought that the cost was fairly high and for another another $100 or so, I could get a new rear tire including installation.

When it comes to motorcycles, I found out that even my local Discount Tire or Tire Rack even did not offer services or tires for them. Seems more like a niche market, and not many reasonable solutions, unless you guys know of any additional pointers or ideas...

·
Registered
487 Posts
yes the front tire kicks up the nail and goes in the rear.

Get rope plugs at auto parts store for $10-15 a kit once you the kit all you need to get are the rope once you run out. I have seen three different diameter rope plugs, most are normal then there is a thinner one for smaller holes and a larger one for larger holes. 95% of the time you'll only find the normal size. The kit comes with a reamer/cleaner and a insertion tool. The reamers will clean up the whole and normally that size is the size for the normal size plug. I have never seen a reamer for the larger plug and not don't remember seeing a smaller reamer for smaller plugs. When you get the kit get one where the handle is perpendicular to the tool not inline with the tool like a screw driver. Look at several reamers and see for diameter difference.

At home I use some vulcanizing cement on the plug before insertion. Let the cement get haze over then insert. On the road I don't use the cement. Either way both works.

check out my video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPLmNwQ2fw&list=PL-Ke-3ELTvuhwCKN77QGLo8tWfuBN8cIu&index=1

·
Registered
447 Posts
I buy those kits from Walmart, Autozone, etc. for $6. Slime is a leading brand. They come with a rasp for cleaning the hole, adhesive, a holder for the rope plug and the plugger which holds the rope, while you push it through the hole. I've heard it's not the best way to do it, but it works for me. I over-inflate the tire, then work fast. I've only patched tires at home where I can use my compressor. A lot of people just use them for temporary patches on the road until they can get home and buy a new tire. I don't carry the kit or a pump with me, so if I get a flat on the road, I'm screwed unless I can prevail upon the kindness of strangers who may have a patch kit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting... What is the typical cost of rope plugging? And where would be a place that would be reasonable on getting this done?

I only found one dealer that offered to plug, but they were charging about $60 + some fees... The other dealer didn't want to take the risk and liability. I thought that the cost was fairly high and for another another $100 or so, I could get a new rear tire including installation.

When it comes to motorcycles, I found out that even my local Discount Tire or Tire Rack even did not offer services or tires for them. Seems more like a niche market, and not many reasonable solutions, unless you guys know of any additional pointers or ideas...
Have you been to Bates on 35e? They seem to be the cheapest for tire labor, but you generally have to drop off the wheel and pick it up later.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

I'd bet that for the $60 quoted they were talking about dismounting the tire from the wheel and using a patch on the inside. Most (if not all) dealers won't install a rope plug in motorcycle tires for liability reasons. I thought I had read somewhere that in the US, DOT regulations prohibit dealers from installing rope plugs in motorcycle tires... not sure whether that is true or not.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for the input and direction, everyone - very helpful.

@MotoMike - Is it possible to add a poll to this thread as well? :)

Have you been to Bates on 35e? They seem to be the cheapest for tire labor, but you generally have to drop off the wheel and pick it up later.
Haven't tried or heard of them, but will search them out. Thank you.

I'd bet that for the $60 quoted they were talking about dismounting the tire from the wheel and using a patch on the inside. Most (if not all) dealers won't install a rope plug in motorcycle tires for liability reasons. I thought I had read somewhere that in the US, DOT regulations prohibit dealers from installing rope plugs in motorcycle tires... not sure whether that is true or not.
I think you're right.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The rear tire is gone I assume, but possibly could be repaired. Don't know how much I could get but it's not too big of a deal, I'll just keep them for my back up just in case, or may pick up a new rear from somewhere more affordable so I can install both together after the newer tires wear out.

Btw, thanks for your support on that other thread on the dark side - things went haywire and funny, haha. The thread needed it anyway, not worth taking things so seriously.
No problem. It was fun lol sometimes guys like that need to be taken down a peg or two, but Shinfo finally made up in the end. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts