Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my bike yesterday and I noticed something was just "off" in the handling. I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I went to take out the garbage last night and as I passed my bike I noticed something shiny on the tire. There it was, the head of a large nail right in the middle of the rear tire. I guess it went straight in, it hasn't lost any air.

I called my Honda dealer and they said I need a new tire. They said it is not safe to repair any motorcycle tire.

This could get expensive if I get a nail in the tire every so often.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Some people perhaps some on this Forum would repair the tire with a plug and continue to ride. Myself I would not use that tire...but what you decide to do is up to you.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I've only ever had one nail in a tyre and it was when I was young and even more careless than today.
I was touring around Australia at the time and I noticed the shiny head when I was in Adelaide. So I purchased a pressurised can of tyre weld and set off across the Nullarbor Plains to Perth in Western Australia which is a 2,700km (1680miles) ride. I didn't need the tyre weld in the end.

If you are just commuting locally I would leave it in as long as its not leaking, but not for long distance trips.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I was riding my bike yesterday and I noticed something was just "off" in the handling. I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

I went to take out the garbage last night and as I passed my bike I noticed something shiny on the tire. There it was, the head of a large nail right in the middle of the rear tire. I guess it went straight in, it hasn't lost any air.

I called my Honda dealer and they said I need a new tire. They said it is not safe to repair any motorcycle tire.

This could get expensive if I get a nail in the tire every so often.
Happens with the best of us...

Take a look at my previous thread for ideas: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/how-forum/8402-nail-tire-plug-patch-replace.html

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
at least its in the center of the carcass,
which if you must have a nail embedded
would be the better location, compared
to the sides or towards the sides..

while its fully in there as you describe,
its less likely to come out or come loose
being kept in thru each revolution..

agree with members on continuing to ride
generally, ie, not as the best safety advice,,
given the 'you never know' factor,
but as an example of experiences of
other motorcyclists over the years..

i took a wood screw mid tread on cbr250r
which was in there firmly, tyre pressure ok etc,
so altho tyres still had some life in them,
the plan was to change to a different brand tyre
in the then future, so that plan came forward
and i did swap both tyres for a new set..
[pirelli sport demons]

so it depends on your state of mind,
attitude to general risks, condition of tyres
depth of pocket, and suchlike..

for me tho, it would be a distraction,
thus the new pirelli's won the day..

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have plugged tyres before, if it was a 150 mph beast I would consider a new tyre but its a 300, center of tyre should be fine but its your choice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just plug it and wear the thing out. Despite the fears of doom often expressed; correctly installed plugs are perfectly safe. I've been on scooters and bikes since 1956 and have at least 100K miles on plugs or patches!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dealers say that just to scare folks into opening up their wallet. keep an eye on it as you should anyways. Get it repaired or replace as and when necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts