Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently noticed a nail in my rear tire. I was wondering if anyone knows if these tires have tubes inside? and what is the best way to plug this tire without having to buy a new one because the tire is still in perfect condition. any advice would be really helpful as i am a newbie to this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
No tube... it's a tubeless tire.

Where is the nail hole? If it's in the side wall, you'll have to replace the tire.

If the hole is in the center 2/3 of the tread some people will use a plug, although it's not recommended. In fact most motorcycle shops won't install plugs for liability reasons. Best repair option (IMO the only repair option) is to have the tire dismounted, and patched from the inside. It will then have to be re-balanced. It's not as cheap as a plug, but is still a lot less than replacing the tire.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Since the tire may not be as dependable after a patch, if you do go with a Slime Tire Plug patch without taking the tire off your bike, (which is what I usually do if like Mike says the nail is in the center area), and I patch it, from then on I carry a tire patch kit and a small pump with me in my backpack. There is one thing I don't do and that is to not ream the hole out very much as in the instructions. It's really hard then to get the patch in there, but if you over-inflate the tire with the reamer in there and work quickly, it works. That's so that if it does fail again, it wouldn't lose air suddenly and cause a crash. A slow leak can be noticed from gradual loss of air pressure when you check it or the change in handling or sound if the air loss is more. Now if when you remove the nail, you have no leak which is common due to the nail being short, don't do anything and the tire will be fine. If there is a slow leak, I repair those using Slime Tire Plugs as per instructions...minus the enlarging of the hole part. If when you remove the nail, the leak is bad, it could be a problem if it does fail again. In that case, I would replace the tire. I do this myself so it's not that big a deal for me. If you take your bike to a dealer, you should take it easy and not get on the highway probably. I've had good success patching tires.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Even the companies that make the plug kits for use on automobile tires, say that the plug is only intended to be temporary, and that the tire should be properly patched from the inside. And that's for automobile tires... personally I'll never use a plug on a motorcycle tire, but that's me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i would definitely have to remove the nail, which i will do this weekend, and see how deep the hole is and determine what to do. But more than likely i will just go with the patch because the tire is in really good condition and would hate to have to replace it.. the nail is in the center of the tire.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
see other current thread same nail situation..

solutions are good, better, best with matching
levels of cost.. least, more, most costly..

reckon my woodscrew mid rear tyre was
secure, held pressure incl testing..
still went for new set of good tyres tho,
based on the 'you never know' theory,
which applies especially to riding
motorcycles...

[if you decide to replace with new
you can still have the nailed one
properly repaired after removal
and keep as an emergency/spare]

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For safety sake I would never reuse a tire that has a patch or plug....I would look if I were you into the above post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts