Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., I might offend but honestly, to me the black shrouds over the radiator are hideous. Sitting on an F at the dealer showroom, the tank looks to be a sculpted masterpiece.
So here is my question. What does the bike look like with the shrouds removed? I assume the tank is painted behind there. Has someone a photo?
I will probably purchase my own 300F within a month and I always wind up doing all sorts of stupid stuff making my bikes "special" (at least to me).
I should also ask about the function of those scooper-dupers. Are they essential for cooling or for directing heat away from the rider?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Personally, I like the F - though I bought the R.

Having said that, for years now, if you wanted a job with a bike manufacturer as a designer, you had to have a black belt in origami.

I also find many bikes to be way too fussy, with every darn component stylised and turned into a feature. Simple is best, IMO.

Here's one I owned earlier and, to me, still one of the nicest-looking nakeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The tank is painted but doesn't look all that good with the shrouds removed. You can see a picture of the tank in this ebay listing Honda CB300F Fuel GAS Tank 2015 | eBay

There at alot of electrical connections under the shrouds too. I took a shroud off with the intention of trying to remove them but in the end decided it wouldn't look good/would be too much work to make it work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought the same thing. I don't like the Honda "pods" they put next to nearly every rad.

It actually looks good, the problem becomes the mounting areas where the plastic is attached to the tank. They're metal and stick out. Same problem with the plastic shroud at the bottom.

I too would like a truly naked bike, basically pull all the black plastic off.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I thought the same thing. I don't like the Honda "pods" they put next to nearly every rad.

It actually looks good, the problem becomes the mounting areas where the plastic is attached to the tank. They're metal and stick out. Same problem with the plastic shroud at the bottom.

I too would like a truly naked bike, basically pull all the black plastic off.

So go buy a street triple with no accessories. The original "naked" bike.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Personally, I like the F - though I bought the R.

Having said that, for years now, if you wanted a job with a bike manufacturer as a designer, you had to have a black belt in origami.

I also find many bikes to be way too fussy, with every darn component stylised and turned into a feature. Simple is best, IMO.

Here's one I owned earlier and, to me, still one of the nicest-looking nakeds.
Now that's one sweet looking bike..;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What?

ALL bikes were naked once. I suppose you might be redefining 'naked' to mean a bike that was originally designed to have bodywork but then a version was sold without?

I'm not keen on most modern nakeds. When they just take bodywork off a sportsbike, what's underneath often isn't pretty, especially with water cooled engines which might also have unsightly plumbing and untidy wiring. For me, a beautiful naked would be something with an air cooled engine like the XJR1300 (see above) or an air/oil cooled engine like the Suzy Bandit (black engine preferably) - possibly the horniest engine ever made, IMO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, I suppose I could, but why would I do that when what I really want is a small displacement Honda?

As was stated, all bike used to be "naked" they weren't called naked then. They were called motorcycles.

I'd buy the SR400 before I picked up a street triple.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am drawn to the SR but it has "funny bits" attached to the engine like after-thoughts. Seems like the bike was engineered properly and then "cluged" to adapt to new requirements. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nakader 300F

Hello all! This is my first post on CBR 300. I did not have my CBR300F 24 hours before I removed the shield at the bottom of the engine and those big plastic pieces on the side of the gas tank. I will have to fill in with maybe some fake carbon fiber at the grommet on the bottom edge of the gas tank but I like being All Naked! Robert

·
Registered
419 Posts
What?

ALL bikes were naked once. I suppose you might be redefining 'naked' to mean a bike that was originally designed to have bodywork but then a version was sold without?

I'm not keen on most modern nakeds. When they just take bodywork off a sportsbike, what's underneath often isn't pretty, especially with water cooled engines which might also have unsightly plumbing and untidy wiring. For me, a beautiful naked would be something with an air cooled engine like the XJR1300 (see above) or an air/oil cooled engine like the Suzy Bandit (black engine preferably) - possibly the horniest engine ever made, IMO.

Yeah I would say what is meant by a naked bike is a sport-bike that was originally sold as a full fairing version (i.e. the Daytona) and became a different model (the street/speed triples) once fairings and other parts were removed. Busa vs B-King is another example and so on. The Speed Triple is what I should have referred to as one of the most "iconic and popular" versions of a modern naked bike. Obviously since it came out in 1997 a lot has changed. I agree the naked word gets thrown around a lot and that originally a naked bike was in a sense, a café racer. Something that was minimalist and back more to the roots of what a bike used to be.

For the record, I think the cb300f is a great little naked bike. I completely agree that those plastic sides aren't super great looking, and if you can get rid of them then good on you. As for the air-cooled vs. water cooled comment, to each their own. I would take a water/air cooled triple over an air-cooled twin any day of the week.

The "original" (Yeah that's right I said it)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going there. Thank you Robert. Photos will follow but the actual bike acquisition will be in Sep.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts