Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to match the carbon fiber look of the plastic panel that is below the red panel to fill in over the fuel tank grommet. Also I am undecided whether to paint the radiator black. Robert

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks not bad. Pretty good actually, does the bike feel even lighter with the sides and under cowl removed?

Personally I like the sides of the F. I was debating on a 500F or 300F before making my purchase. I liked the styling of the 300 more because of the sides, I thought they looked more agresive and sporty.

everyone has their own preference and opinions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Jim here (original poster) Now that we have an idea of what the F looks like bodywork removed, I will show us where I am headed with this.
I have already lightened the aesthetics in the rear with the Yoshi fender and TB slip-on.
Up front, the bar-end mirrors and of course no bodywork.
I made my own carbon-fiber match plastic tank sides (formed with heat gun but off the tank for that no fears). Used one ugly bracket to mount a reflector each side and that seems to be acceptable.
The neat painted tank front has two tabs and I removed the steel cross-piece. Those tabs hang out just enough so that I can fabricate small enclosures around the left side electricals (dummy on the right). These enclosures mounted to the aforementioned tank front plus the unused bodywork tab above the radiator. I have these nearly done but my photo gives a good idea without them. I might need to change out the side panels chrome fastener with a black one rid of the big old silver dot.
Flush front signals and sequential integrated taillight behind are in the works but having trouble sourcing them so far.
Also toying with badging it "CB286".

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not obvious in my photo, I recommend the 'Honda Racing' tank protector. Be real careful applying it though, no take-backs once it touches the tank.
I had considered figuring out how to transform that headlight into a more traditional round one but a lot of non-return-to-stock cutting with that. So I guess it stays 'all japanese' style. I am also beginning to like leaving on the plastic that shrouds the header pipe.
This is a great looking engine and the frame exposure (for me) adds to the appeal.

I want to consider my bike a big 250 and not a small 300. The 300 twins eat my lunch if I were concerned about racing (and I'm not). The beauty of this particular 'big' single is that it has low-down torque and 'thumper' characteristics that I love but it also spins smoothly and comes on surprisingly strong wringing out the revs through the gears. My favorite motorcycle after 6 decades of always having a bike or 10 in the garage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jim here (original poster) Now that we have an idea of what the F looks like bodywork removed, I will show us where I am headed with this.
I have already lightened the aesthetics in the rear with the Yoshi fender and TB slip-on.
Up front, the bar-end mirrors and of course no bodywork.
I made my own carbon-fiber match plastic tank sides (formed with heat gun but off the tank for that no fears). Used one ugly bracket to mount a reflector each side and that seems to be acceptable.
The neat painted tank front has two tabs and I removed the steel cross-piece. Those tabs hang out just enough so that I can fabricate small enclosures around the left side electricals (dummy on the right). These enclosures mounted to the aforementioned tank front plus the unused bodywork tab above the radiator. I have these nearly done but my photo gives a good idea without them. I might need to change out the side panels chrome fastener with a black one rid of the big old silver dot.
Flush front signals and sequential integrated taillight behind are in the works but having trouble sourcing them so far.
Also toying with badging it "CB286".
How did you make the tank sides? those look awesome. this is really making me think about taking them off. you said that you will also be making something to cover an elictrical box on the left side, any way to get a picture of what the box looks like?

also if possible what did you remove? was it an aesthetic look type of thing or what was the reason for the removal. thank you so much for the update! made my day to see how good this looks!:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry guys. Lots of family medical emergencies here and I have not been able to give details of fabrication. Give me time and I will share some sourcing/ actions, etc. One preview though: I sliced through the existing black projection that clips behind the red panel. I made sure to do that far enough back so that the new cover tucks behind.
To make patterns for the side panels (heat-formable carbon-fiber look plastic sheet), rough-cut some cardboard smaller than needed with the eventual mounting hole pre-cut to locate, held it against the tank, used blue painter tape to outline, peeled it off and traced on the plastic. Left enough up front to tuck behind the tank front-piece. After cutting the plastic, beveled the edges.
The first pass for molding to the tank was to do a 5 minute in 350 degree oven, smooth it over the tank with gloves. Next was to take it on and off and spot-smooth with a heat gun and my table saw as a heat-sinking surface to press areas against.
It came out OK but I might buy some more sheet now that I know how and do a better job (especially the edge beveling).
Oh, and the mounting tab I bent inwards slightly so the bottom edge aligns with the frame tube. That tab was a press-in with grommet. I put in a cage nut instead so as to use a chrome bolt from the outside to hold it on. Do that first and screw a bolt through from the wrong side as a locator pin during forming. I kept thinking how easy it would be to just use the heat gun with the panel in place but managed to not give in to the stupid gene this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry guys. Lots of family medical emergencies here and I have not been able to give details of fabrication. Give me time and I will share some sourcing/ actions, etc. One preview though: I sliced through the existing black projection that clips behind the red panel. I made sure to do that far enough back so that the new cover tucks behind.
To make patterns for the side panels (heat-formable carbon-fiber look plastic sheet), rough-cut some cardboard smaller than needed with the eventual mounting hole pre-cut to locate, held it against the tank, used blue painter tape to outline, peeled it off and traced on the plastic. Left enough up front to tuck behind the tank front-piece. After cutting the plastic, beveled the edges.
The first pass for molding to the tank was to do a 5 minute in 350 degree oven, smooth it over the tank with gloves. Next was to take it on and off and spot-smooth with a heat gun and my table saw as a heat-sinking surface to press areas against.
It came out OK but I might buy some more sheet now that I know how and do a better job (especially the edge beveling).
Oh, and the mounting tab I bent inwards slightly so the bottom edge aligns with the frame tube. That tab was a press-in with grommet. I put in a cage nut instead so as to use a chrome bolt from the outside to hold it on. Do that first and screw a bolt through from the wrong side as a locator pin during forming. I kept thinking how easy it would be to just use the heat gun with the panel in place but managed to not give in to the stupid gene this time.
of coarse no worries family is more important than a bike! but whenever you have time could i get some simple measurments of the piece? im hopefully going to have someone 3D PRINT ONE for me! thats some good skill fork you got there with the carbon fiber! looks awesome! thank you for getting back to me everything helps:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It turns out to be a complex shape in 3d that evolves from iterations of fitting - heating - manipulating - fitting - head scratching. I don't know how to document its measurements except to say it hugs the side of the tank shape sufficiently well to look OK. I will probably redo these as time goes by. It would be great if there were some way to take a cast of the tank-side. Yeah, 3D print would be ultimate. I honestly don't know why Honda didn't go for it themselves. It seems they just built pieces to fasten onto a stripped CBR300R as an afterthought, confident that there was enough market for a bike easily mistaken for a transformer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It turns out to be a complex shape in 3d that evolves from iterations of fitting - heating - manipulating - fitting - head scratching. I don't know how to document its measurements except to say it hugs the side of the tank shape sufficiently well to look OK. I will probably redo these as time goes by. It would be great if there were some way to take a cast of the tank-side. Yeah, 3D print would be ultimate. I honestly don't know why Honda didn't go for it themselves. It seems they just built pieces to fasten onto a stripped CBR300R as an afterthought, confident that there was enough market for a bike easily mistaken for a transformer.
I can simply use the 4 side measurments in order to get a rough shape/size that i would be able to manipulate with a heat gun etc. i noticed theres another fearing bolt below and to the right of the one you attatched the reflectors to. did you do anything with it or simply screw the bolt back into it without the fearing in place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just behind the radiator bottom? I have plans. I will fabricate a radiator enclosure to partially hide hoses and protect with a screen. That threaded piece to be part of the mounting. CB286!!

Just measure the tank area you want covered directly. I started by applying blue masking tape around where I wanted it. I left material front and rear to tuck-under and the bottom is just a straight line above the frame tube.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know it has been a while.
Did you use 6mm or something else? The 6mm cage nuts and bolts are easy to find.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts