How did you make the tank sides? those look awesome. this is really making me think about taking them off. you said that you will also be making something to cover an elictrical box on the left side, any way to get a picture of what the box looks like?Jim here (original poster) Now that we have an idea of what the F looks like bodywork removed, I will show us where I am headed with this.
I have already lightened the aesthetics in the rear with the Yoshi fender and TB slip-on.
Up front, the bar-end mirrors and of course no bodywork.
I made my own carbon-fiber match plastic tank sides (formed with heat gun but off the tank for that no fears). Used one ugly bracket to mount a reflector each side and that seems to be acceptable.
The neat painted tank front has two tabs and I removed the steel cross-piece. Those tabs hang out just enough so that I can fabricate small enclosures around the left side electricals (dummy on the right). These enclosures mounted to the aforementioned tank front plus the unused bodywork tab above the radiator. I have these nearly done but my photo gives a good idea without them. I might need to change out the side panels chrome fastener with a black one rid of the big old silver dot.
Flush front signals and sequential integrated taillight behind are in the works but having trouble sourcing them so far.
Also toying with badging it "CB286".
of coarse no worries family is more important than a bike! but whenever you have time could i get some simple measurments of the piece? im hopefully going to have someone 3D PRINT ONE for me! thats some good skill fork you got there with the carbon fiber! looks awesome! thank you for getting back to me everything helpsSorry guys. Lots of family medical emergencies here and I have not been able to give details of fabrication. Give me time and I will share some sourcing/ actions, etc. One preview though: I sliced through the existing black projection that clips behind the red panel. I made sure to do that far enough back so that the new cover tucks behind.
To make patterns for the side panels (heat-formable carbon-fiber look plastic sheet), rough-cut some cardboard smaller than needed with the eventual mounting hole pre-cut to locate, held it against the tank, used blue painter tape to outline, peeled it off and traced on the plastic. Left enough up front to tuck behind the tank front-piece. After cutting the plastic, beveled the edges.
The first pass for molding to the tank was to do a 5 minute in 350 degree oven, smooth it over the tank with gloves. Next was to take it on and off and spot-smooth with a heat gun and my table saw as a heat-sinking surface to press areas against.
It came out OK but I might buy some more sheet now that I know how and do a better job (especially the edge beveling).
Oh, and the mounting tab I bent inwards slightly so the bottom edge aligns with the frame tube. That tab was a press-in with grommet. I put in a cage nut instead so as to use a chrome bolt from the outside to hold it on. Do that first and screw a bolt through from the wrong side as a locator pin during forming. I kept thinking how easy it would be to just use the heat gun with the panel in place but managed to not give in to the stupid gene this time.
I can simply use the 4 side measurments in order to get a rough shape/size that i would be able to manipulate with a heat gun etc. i noticed theres another fearing bolt below and to the right of the one you attatched the reflectors to. did you do anything with it or simply screw the bolt back into it without the fearing in place.It turns out to be a complex shape in 3d that evolves from iterations of fitting - heating - manipulating - fitting - head scratching. I don't know how to document its measurements except to say it hugs the side of the tank shape sufficiently well to look OK. I will probably redo these as time goes by. It would be great if there were some way to take a cast of the tank-side. Yeah, 3D print would be ultimate. I honestly don't know why Honda didn't go for it themselves. It seems they just built pieces to fasten onto a stripped CBR300R as an afterthought, confident that there was enough market for a bike easily mistaken for a transformer.
I know it has been a while.Oh, and the mounting tab I bent inwards slightly so the bottom edge aligns with the frame tube. That tab was a press-in with grommet. I put in a cage nut instead so as to use a chrome bolt from the outside to hold it on. Do that first and screw a bolt through from the wrong side as a locator pin during forming. I kept thinking how easy it would be to just use the heat gun with the panel in place but managed to not give in to the stupid gene this time.