Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know I have been a bit psychofrenic with my bike,,one day im loving it, the next wanted to crash it into a wall.

Part of the frustration was with my unruly gears and difficulty finding neutral.

I am happy to say that after I took the bike in for its first oil change and the mechanic tweaked things a bit it is solved.

Next I think I will upgrade the tires..

Overall I am feeling a lot better about the bike, it has been a blast to ride most of the time.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Glad the magic worked out...

(Hope it's not just a random psychological kick in the mind :laugh:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
What did he tweak? Besides changing the oil, I bet he just adjusted the clutch cable.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
What did he tweak? Besides changing the oil, I bet he just adjusted the clutch cable.

I'm sure you're right, although both the first oil change and adjusting the clutch cable for proper free play will make a significant difference in the operation of the transmission.

Another adjustment that is often overlooked on these bikes, but one that can make a big difference, is adjusting the shift pedal height to suit the rider.

Reactions: Knights2theEnd

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another adjustment that is often overlooked on these bikes, but one that can make a big difference, is adjusting the shift pedal height to suit the rider.

I would agree with that and add the rear brake control as well. I raised my shifter so I could comfortably get my foot under it, and lowered the brake pedal so I wasn't applying the brake with my foot in a relaxed forward position on the peg.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
same lever relationship but by raising and moving pegs rearward
with yoshi rearset brackets [ordered before betting 300 based on
excellent experience on cbr250r]..

ie, lever will be lower and more open with 'better' pivot point
for ankles thus toe control, with pegs up and back 30mm..
[plus whatever adjustments you like for levers]
:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They tweaked something on the side of the bike after the oil chnage,,not the height of the lever...idk what they did, they spoke only thai...but it made a noticable difference...

Now to get into neurtral the light tap works...

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
They tweaked something on the side of the bike after the oil chnage,,not the height of the lever...idk what they did, they spoke only thai...but it made a noticable difference...

Now to get into neurtral the light tap works...
The only thing I can come up with that they could have done (which would affect how easily the bike shifts gears), is to re-lubricate the shift pedal pivot. I'm not sure how much grease the factory uses on the pivot post when they assemble the shift pedal onto the bike, but I recall that after about 1000 miles my CBR wasn't shifting as smoothly as it had previously, and so I pulled the shift pedal off of the pivot post and sure enough whatever small amount of lube that was there from the factory had turned into a dried up, crusty paste. After cleaning up the pivot post and the inside of the shift pedal pivot, I used some Permatex Anti-Seize compound on those surfaces, which made a world of difference in improving how smooth it shifted.

About $8 USD for an 8oz. jar at most auto parts stores...

I now re-lube the shift pedal pivot with Anti-Seize compound (IMO much better than grease, won't dry out or wash away like grease can) at every oil change as part of the regular service.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Good tip, we use this stuff heaps at my work on various components. I've just gone out to the garage and done my gear lever pivot, took all of two minutes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
:eek:...MotoMike is so precise that he knows from the tips of his toes when the lubrication between the shifter and its pivot post has gone crusty... jealous!

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
:eek:...MotoMike is so precise that he knows from the tips of his toes when the lubrication between the shifter and its pivot post has gone crusty... jealous!
After some 35+ years as a technician in the motorcycle/snowmobile industry, I've become somewhat practiced in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. ;)

Reactions: Bodie177
1 - 11 of 11 Posts