Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is common sense to an experienced rider but just wanted to post this PSA to newbies:

DO NOT buy a used helmet. TL;DR: Its not worth the risk, you are probably buying trash

Summary: Over >80% of the used helmets are either stolen helmets (and you are going to get your ass kicked if the original owner ever crosses paths with you) or they have been dropped (and you wont know it) or they are so old and worn out that they cannot be relied upon to protect you in a crash.

Case and point:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/555579259/

$60 Shoei helmet. Brand new, almost never worn according to the advert.

I did some research. The helmet is a very old model with the "retro" shoei logo. This model is over 13 years old. Was it stored in an air-conditioned and climate-controlled environment? I doubt it. Most people store helmets that are not actively used in a storage shed or storage garage that is left in the blistering heat of summer and is not air-conditioned.

Extreme Heat is an enemy to helmets. The glues and adhesives begin to melt and break down. If one should be so unfortunate to go down with an old helmet like this on your head you are going to be in BIG TROUBLE. Because the glue and adhesives are so badly worn down the helmet will fall to pieces in an impact. Not just that but the plastics will become very brittle and fragile and unable to absorb the impact. You are going to be badly injured or killed.

Motorcycle helmets are designed to be "One and Done". That means one major impact and DONE. Even if you find a 1 or 2 year old helmet how will you know if it has been dropped? Most riders make the mistake to place the helmet on their bike and then it falls off. Yes in most cases that is just going to be a 3 foot drop (1 meter). But that is ALL IT TAKES to destroy a helmet. I was riding with my buddy and he made the mistake of dropping his HJC helmet off his head (he is over 6 feet tall [1.83 meters tall] ) and the helmet landed right on the crown (the yarmulke area). When we investigated the helmet it only had a small scratch on the top of the helmet. THATS IT.

There was no way anyone could have been able to tell that the helmet had suffered the damage that it did. My buddy himself said "Well that helmet is going on craigslist...." as a joke. But it wasnt a joke. He did sell it for around 50% off compared to new. The only problem is that the chump who bought it is now riding around with a helmet that cannot be trusted.

So dont be chump and dont be an idiot. Dont buy used helmets that you have no idea what they have been thru. A $40 brand-new eBay helmet would be superior to that. I like to save money more than most but to save money with a used Helmet is a false economy. You are putting your brain and your life at risk. Dont do it. Its just not worth it.

Used motorcycle? Yes. Used jacket? Okay. Used gloves? Fine. But dont buy a used helmet. Its not even hygenic to do it, putting your mouth where some other dude's mouth has been, its like kissing a dude. Gross.

Here is another beauty:

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mpo/d/shoei-rf-1000-motorcycle/6680646521.html

A helmet so worn out that the top head-liner needs to be replaced. Let me tell you something. Unless a dude is wearing his helmet while watching TV then it takes thousands and THOUSANDS of miles to wear out a liner on a Shoei helmet. Putting that thing on your head is like wearing a condom that 20 other dudes already used and took off. Dont do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is common sense to an experienced rider but just wanted to post this PSA to newbies:

DO NOT buy a used helmet. TL;DR: Its not worth the risk, you are probably buying trash

Summary: Over >80% of the used helmets are either stolen helmets (and you are going to get your ass kicked if the original owner ever crosses paths with you) or they have been dropped (and you wont know it) or they are so old and worn out that they cannot be relied upon to protect you in a crash.

Case and point:

Motorcycle helmet for Sale in Miami, FL - OfferUp

$60 Shoei helmet. Brand new, almost never worn according to the advert.

I did some research. The helmet is a very old model with the "retro" shoei logo. This model is over 13 years old. Was it stored in an air-conditioned and climate-controlled environment? I doubt it. Most people store helmets that are not actively used in a storage shed or storage garage that is left in the blistering heat of summer and is not air-conditioned.

Extreme Heat is an enemy to helmets. The glues and adhesives begin to melt and break down. If one should be so unfortunate to go down with an old helmet like this on your head you are going to be in BIG TROUBLE. Because the glue and adhesives are so badly worn down the helmet will fall to pieces in an impact. Not just that but the plastics will become very brittle and fragile and unable to absorb the impact. You are going to be badly injured or killed.

Motorcycle helmets are designed to be "One and Done". That means one major impact and DONE. Even if you find a 1 or 2 year old helmet how will you know if it has been dropped? Most riders make the mistake to place the helmet on their bike and then it falls off. Yes in most cases that is just going to be a 3 foot drop (1 meter). But that is ALL IT TAKES to destroy a helmet. I was riding with my buddy and he made the mistake of dropping his HJC helmet off his head (he is over 6 feet tall [1.83 meters tall] ) and the helmet landed right on the crown (the yarmulke area). When we investigated the helmet it only had a small scratch on the top of the helmet. THATS IT.

There was no way anyone could have been able to tell that the helmet had suffered the damage that it did. My buddy himself said "Well that helmet is going on craigslist...." as a joke. But it wasnt a joke. He did sell it for around 50% off compared to new. The only problem is that the chump who bought it is now riding around with a helmet that cannot be trusted.

So dont be chump and dont be an idiot. Dont buy used helmets that you have no idea what they have been thru. A $40 brand-new eBay helmet would be superior to that. I like to save money more than most but to save money with a used Helmet is a false economy. You are putting your brain and your life at risk. Dont do it. Its just not worth it.

Used motorcycle? Yes. Used jacket? Okay. Used gloves? Fine. But dont buy a used helmet. Its not even hygenic to do it, putting your mouth where some other dude's mouth has been, its like kissing a dude. Gross.

Here is another beauty:

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mpo/d/shoei-rf-1000-motorcycle/6680646521.html

A helmet so worn out that the top head-liner needs to be replaced. Let me tell you something. Unless a dude is wearing his helmet while watching TV then it takes thousands and THOUSANDS of miles to wear out a liner on a Shoei helmet. Putting that thing on your head is like wearing a condom that 20 other dudes already used and took off. Dont do it.
Putting your mouth where another dude has put his mouth isn't a big deal. You get used to his spit and sweat after a little while. The great thing about wearing another guy's smelly lid is how comfortable it is the first time you put it on. Thousands of hours of another guy's sweat is the new smell of a used lid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts