Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hello to all on this Forum from Atlantic Canada...Nova Scotia to be exact
I am in the market for a small road bike and my Honda dealer across my street has a (1) new 2013 250 Repsol and a few new 300 R's in stock. The Repsol is as I said new but because of it's age Honda Canada will not sell it with a warranty so it is classified as a "used" bike. Now I can purchase a Honda warranty for it but at what cost at the moment I do not know. BTW there will be no Freight/PDI charge on the Repsol.

Now my question is this.. does the 300R handle gradual steep inclines on the highway with ease....or do you need to drop down a gear to stay at 62MPH (100 KMH)? Iam also wondering about the same thing with the Repsol 250R,,having not ridden either.
My dealer as of 2 days ago does not have a 300R or the only Repsol (250R) serviced for me to take out for a spin....

Most of my riding would not be highway but I would occasionally go for a ride to my nearest town with is 30 minutes away on the highway...

All thoughts/responses would be appreciated

Thank you.... Laurie.:)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The 300R seems like a no brainer at this point in time, unless you can get a **** of a bargain on the 250R. For a couple or even a few hundred more, the 300R was my choice since it's the updated model. The 250R still has some loyal owners, so I'm sure it's solid in its own right.

Brings to mind... There was a 2013 250R Repsol at one of the dealers when I was shopping for mine, and they were guarding it like it was gold or something when I talked about negotiating. I left it at that. Maybe they still have it laying there, lol.

Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am inclined to agree with fanatic. The 300 is better, slightly more powerful bike. If they're offering a really good price on the 250, that could be a deciding factor. If they really want to make a sale though, they'll be smart and get em ready for a test ride

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies..but what I am really looking for is...on a highway ride at 62 MPH (!00 KMH) does the Honda 300 loose speed on a long up hill grade? That is do you have to shift down to 5th gear to maintain 60 MPH...

I assume that if the 300 does slow down on hills at 60 mph then the 250 will too.

Test rode the R3 last week and I loved it but......Honda Canada is offering $700 discount and 1.9% on a Non-ABS 300 R. ($3999 CDN)

·
Registered
141 Posts
i havn't experienced any power loss at those speeds due to hills. you might have to drop to 5th if the hill is particularly steep, but in most circumstances it holds it's own just fine

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much....now one more question (I promise) does a head wind (on the highway) cause speed issues..that is losing speed so that you need to drop down a gear to maintain 62 MPH (100KMH)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have no idea. I'm too focused on hanging on to my dear life on the highway, lol. :laugh:

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
151 Posts
unless its blowing sideways at a great rate of knots wind shouldn't be a problem on a 300

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Myself with the introduction of Yamaha's R 3 @ 321 cc's,, I have a feeling that Kawasaki is going to increase the Ninja 300 to a 350 cc unit. Now it would really be cool for me if they developed that into a 350 triple just like they did in the early 70's.

I still remember as a Junior High School kid a fellow I knew a couple of grades ahead of me with a new (then) Kawi 500 triple 2 stroke screamer that I used to love hearing him putting that thing through the gears on the way to my school.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I just got back from my Honda dealer this evening...since they have not sold a single 300R this year they are offering no freight/PDI for the month of July on in stock units in addition to other Honda incentives. For example ...a CBR 300 R (ABS) is offered for $3999 (CDN ) plus sales tax for a total of $4598 OTD.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
'300' [296cc] is this years model of 250 [249cc] model line..
few cosmetic changes [twin headlight etc] with longer stroke
for extra 37cc, plus new balancer to suit..
this longer stroke gives better power delivery
esp torque thru the gears.. its an overall design
refinement of an existing excellent [new] design,
not some marketing ploy around the number 300..

ive owned 250 and '300' now, and this years model
is as you would expect from a new model, 'better'..
mainly its extra torque, which adds to rideability,
quick take-off [lights etc], overtakes, and ability
to run the same course using next gear up or
lower revs..

it has no problem with 60mph/96kmh..
think of 6th as 'overdrive', from which
you might shift down for various reasons..
sometimes its just better, in 5th, even tho
the motorcycle could stay in 6th..

i have no hesitation as a lifelong [honda]
motorcyclist in recommending either
249cc or 286cc model variants..

both are excellent hondas in a long
tradition of fine road motorcycles..

it comes down to personal considerations
such as available colours, abs [recommended]
and special deals available to you..

both imo need aftermarket horns
and lightweight quality exhausts..