Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to get a K&N, but I wanted to ask those of you who have put in a new air filter if you have noticed a boost in performance on your 300?

Sorry if this has been addressed already.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just received the K & N in the mail this week, see if I can install it this weekend, standby

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Only thing I noticed was sound. Not really any performance to be noticed with just an AF.
+1. Felt the same way when I used to apply a drop in filter on my cars from the past.

On a side note, slap on that K&N decal on the bike, and you should immediately notice a 10 horsepower bump! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I think to get the full benefit you need do this mod in conjunction with a freer flowing exhaust as the two compliment each other.

If you just swapped your filter for a K&N in a standard bike then you wont need to hang onto the bars on any tighter through the gears!

The quote below is taken from the K&N website:
Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower. :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I think to get the full benefit you need do this mod in conjunction with a freer flowing exhaust as the two compliment each other.

If you just swapped your filter for a K&N in a standard bike then you wont need to hang onto the bars on any tighter through the gears!

The quote below is taken from the K&N website:
Our automotive OE (original equipment) replacement air filters generally add 1-4 horsepower.
:laugh:
And that's for an automobile engine putting out at least a couple hundred HP... on a bike with 30 HP, you'd be lucky to see maybe 0.25 HP increase on a high end (expensive) eddy-current dynamometer.

I'm not a fan of K&N air filters... I had one in my Honda XR650L for a while, and at the service intervals for the filter I found that quite a bit of grit and dirt was getting past the filter and into the intake tract. Not cool at all, so for me that fraction of a HP gain is not worth the probability of getting dirt into the engine.

Besides the fact that you have to clean and re-lube a K&N air filter, they are not cheap... as I recall they are around $50 to $60 USD for the CBR250R/300R. Then add the cost of the K&N Recharger kit (about $20 USD), and you're now up to the equivalent cost of 7 or 8 OEM Honda air filters @ $10 USD each. Those 7 or 8 OEM air filters will cover 80,000 to 100,000 miles of riding, and as an added benefit you don't need to clean and re-lube them like you do with the K&N.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree. I never liked the idea of using grease around the edge. K$N sells a filter cleaning kit too that is $20 or so. I prefer the old foam filters that you could just remove and wash, however $10 for a paper filter is OK too and less trouble. I might feel differently if I were racing.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Honda CBR250R Air Filter - Replacement Air Filters

^^ link to the K&N website for those interested. I see they are up to $82 now!

I don't use them on my trail bikes either but I live in a high rainfall/dust free environment so happy to use on the CBR.

I included the quote about the 1 - 4 horsepower gain as a bit of a laugh, I don't rate this mod highly in the horsepower gain dept.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Honda CBR250R Air Filter - Replacement Air Filters

^^ link to the K&N website for those interested. I see they are up to $82 now!

I don't use them on my trail bikes either but I live in a high rainfall/dust free environment so happy to use on the CBR.

I included the quote about the 1 - 4 horsepower gain as a bit of a laugh, I don't rate this mod highly in the horsepower gain dept.
I know this is an old post. But I am in need of a new a/f. Was thinking of either a K&N (my local walmart has them on sale for $30!) or a BikeMaster a/f. Have you ever heard of the BikeMaster? It is more free flowing but does not require the oil the k&n does. Also both filters say you may need to remap? Really lol? I'm thinking maybe on a liter bike but not a banger? What do you think?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I know this is an old post. But I am in need of a new a/f. Was thinking of either a K&N (my local walmart has them on sale for $30!) or a BikeMaster a/f. Have you ever heard of the BikeMaster? It is more free flowing but does not require the oil the k&n does. Also both filters say you may need to remap? Really lol? I'm thinking maybe on a liter bike but not a banger? What do you think?
I've got no knowledge about Bikemaster but the K & N is a bargain at $30. I'd snap one up myself.
No need to re-map with the K & N. They will be just saying that to cover themselves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just buy standard filter, unless of coarse you have freed up the exhaust restrictions, adjusted the valve
sizes and timings, along with a new fuel map. Otherwise there will be no measurable benefit,,,,,,I think

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've got no knowledge about Bikemaster but the K & N is a bargain at $30. I'd snap one up myself.
No need to re-map with the K & N. They will be just saying that to cover them selves.
Figured that. I got the K&N today. $32.10! exact part# and fits perfect. Sometimes WalMart has some good deals.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I just ordered a K&N myself. Judging by some of the comments here it may be all for not but I have had good experiences with them in my vehicles so I thought I'd give it a shot. Found it pretty cheap on ebay.
I just got to install mine lastnight. I unplugged the battery for 30 minutes. Don't know if it's really needed but I always did/do it on my cars. Reset the computer had to redo the time etc. So as soon as I turned it on, I definitely noticed a difference in my exhaust sound. It was a bit louder and a little more growl. Now when riding it I can't say I felt anything at all. Honestly if it did increase power we are probably talking about .01 horsepower lol. But I know I can hear and feel the more air going in and obviously coming out of my exhaust. As I hit the throttle I can hear the air right beneath me rushing in much more than the stock filter. So thats my observation. Just an FYI don't take out the airbox snorkel. People do it either to make it sound better or they think it will increase the amount of air getting into the box, but in fact it could be a bad thing taking it out. Usually the snorkels have ribs etc or whatever the technical terms are that Honda actually makes for a reason to funnel the air in better.
I know on my hotrods right after the MAF I would put in these 'propeller' type shaped pieces of metal which would make the air coming in kinda funnel around like a tornado. That I can definitely prove increased HP via Dyno testing. Not much a HP here or there but when building street rods every single HP is needed! lol

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
@mikal Good honest write up mate, like yourself I could hear the difference in sound but not feel anything.
It would be interesting to see an independent dyno test of before and after with this filter mod.
I figure that if I'm running a freer flowing exhaust then it makes sense to run a less restrictive intake set up as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After riding with the K&N filter for a couple of days I have noticed a slight change in the sound of the exhaust (as was stated earlier) and, most noticeably, the take-offs are smoother. Progressing up the gears seemed to be smoother as well. Again, I understand why some would want to stick with the stock air filters. These are just my experiences; take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There is one individual here on this forum (not me) who used K+N air filter on a piece of motorized equipment and noticed small bits of dirt in the carb bowls...just saying.....

Needless to say he does not use them anymore...I have not had any trouble with them myself in the past.

Reactions: Luke Offield

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
There is one individual here on this forum (not me) who used K+N air filter on a piece of motorized equipment and noticed small bits of dirt in the carb bowls...just saying.....

Needless to say he does not use them anymore...I have not had any trouble with them myself in the past.
Not trying to push for or against here but I remember that post Laurie and I'm pretty sure the motorized equipment referred to was a dirt bike, which is a completely different riding environment to the street.
I've done a combined 14K miles on mine so far (same filter used in 250 & 300R) with no probs but that's not much of a mileage and also there's no float bowl to check on these EFI bikes!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have used K&N filters on almost every single car I have owned (11). I have never had 1 single problem with dirt anywhere past the filter. I'm not saying I swear by them at all, but in the end (at least for me) I figure the overall cost over years is cheaper than buying new paper filters. Like I said that's my experience on auto's. There are also many reasons people may get some dirt past the filter. Not oiling them properly, not seating them properly in the air box, and especially using the grease that comes with the kits. That grease is important to complete a nice seal. I have run across a few people that fail to use the grease for fears of 'dirtying' up their intake.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I was not trying to start a debate about the use of K+N products (honestly I wasn't!). Just thought I would mention the experience one of our members had using a K=N air filter... just to be clear on my intent.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts