Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off... I have owned a cb300r for exactly 80 miles or 4 days. I bought a 2020 with 353 miles...
It has been a learning experience coming from 1977 suzuki 750,
. Short wb, high seat, low weight, terribly high ground clearance/c.o.g ; in comparison.....
Getting familiar with this bike is like transition from stupid heavy cruiser to motocross... Granted, an afternoon got me on board... But it feels like mx/sm bike.... Totally lacking road-worthiness.

Is this just me being used to old ujm bikes? Or is this what they are now?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Welcome to our community. Was your Suzuki a four cylinder bike like a GS or something? If so, a single cylinder 300cc bike is always going to feel waaay less substantial and flighty. Maybe because its a single banger it reminds you of a mx/sm bike?

I had a couple of four cylinder machines in the late eighties/early nineties but these days I much prefer smaller lighter bikes where I'm the boss rather than the other way round!
Is this what they are now? No, there's still lots of variety out there, something for everyone. :giggle:

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and Welcome to the Forum. Any of the newer 300cc class, or any other sports bikes, will feel light and agile compared to most older 'street" motorcycles. I came off an '83 R80RT BMW after 34 years, and the performance of newer sports bikes are night and day... Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I came from a 650 Honda Deauville four years ago because of the weight of the Deau (250 Kg). The easy handling of the CBR is great. It doesn't have the torque or high cruising speed of the Deauville (80+ mph all day) but it is so relaxing to ride and will keep up with traffic in all our speed limits. The only thing I really miss is the weather protection. You get spoiled with a Deau but in very hot weather you miss the cooling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome.
My old bike is a gs 750 that i have had for something like 10-12 years (tired of cleaning/rebuilding and tuning carbs, even though i could probably do it in my sleep. Ethanol is trash). I have had several other bikes but nothing this new. Closest would be an 02 kat 600, everything else was 90s or earlier.

Idk y'all... I think it is just that the cb just doesnt feel.... Planted... To me. Corners that i can take with total confidence on other bikes scare me on this bike. I feel like im gonna skitter off the road.
Please tell me that the suspension will soften a bit as the miles go by.... I am used to getting stiffer springs, not wishing for a little more give.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
The springs on the CB are not actually that stiff by modern day road bike standards, probably just feels that way because of the lightweight of the bike and how it bounces off things more than a solid four cylinder bike. Kinda comes with the 300cc bike territory.
Personally I found the front springs on the CB/CBR too soft. The rear shock is not great in the damping department though and has a tendency to bounce of sharp bumps rather than absorb.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My old bike is a gs 750 that i have had for something like 10-12 years (tired of cleaning/rebuilding and tuning carbs, even though i could probably do it in my sleep. Ethanol is trash). I have had several other bikes but nothing this new. Closest would be an 02 kat 600, everything else was 90s or earlier.

Idk y'all... I think it is just that the cb just doesnt feel.... Planted... To me. Corners that i can take with total confidence on other bikes scare me on this bike. I feel like im gonna skitter off the road.
Please tell me that the suspension will soften a bit as the miles go by.... I am used to getting stiffer springs, not wishing for a little more give.
If you want some stiffer spring let me know still got a set from my CB300F--same spring--FREE-- just pay shipping $20 in USA

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it is just that the cb just doesnt feel.... Planted... To me. Corners that i can take with total confidence on other bikes scare me on this bike. I feel like im gonna skitter off the road.
I am thinking this could be from a whole bunch of factors coming together from both the bike and your experience. Big difference in geometry (wheel base, rake/trail), a more forward seating position relative to center of gravity, the bikes weight and also tires (both grip and profile), bigger/heavier wheels can also make a difference as you get more rotational stability. Changing your tire profile and compound can make a big difference in stability, though this is usually combined with a slight loss in agility. It is usually a trade off with motorbikes between the ability to turn in easily and change line mid corner vs. stability.

Your own experience makes a big difference too, for example, going from any kind of a cruiser to a sport bike or vice versa is a big transition for your body position and weight. This not only affects the bikes stability but also your perception of it. In my case starting on small displacement sport bikes, when I am cornering I feel very psychologically uncomfortable unless I am sucked right up on the tank and right up on that front wheel. At the end of the day unless your tires are **** (flattened off tires are horrible for stability as you get on the tip of a triangle at low lean angles), I think over time you will start to feel better with the bike. Raising the front end might help a bit too, especially if it was lowered previously.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Welcome to our community. These little bikes love to being thrown hard into corners, and as long as you stay within the torque band, they should feel very planted at a 40 degree lean.
Please double check your tire pressure. On a 600 lbs bike we only account for about 1/3 of the bike’s mass. While on a 360 lbs bike we are a bout 1/2 it’s weight. If your suspension feels stiff it’s most likely that your tires are under inflated and absorbing the preload of your spring.
Just make sure you find yourself at no less than 7k rpms at the apex of the turn and let that throttle rip!
Once you find that sweet spot it’s like windsurfing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just do a few runs on the twisties. Then you will see how fun this bike is. A little pressure on the handle bar and round you go. Way more fun than a heavy bike and 85 mpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts