Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came up on my Youtube feed today. Some sort of CB300F update with edgy styling, USD forks, an updated dash and LED's all round. But the weird bit is the motor, it's some sort of budget air/oil cooled jobbie that (if I heard it correctly) is 293cc. Cant see this being a big seller outside of India as it would be competing against the CB300R.

Will be interesting to see what changes Honda makes to the CB300R and venerable CBR300R, if any, for 2023.
That motor came out in 249cc guise in 2011 in the CBR250R so will be 12 years old next year. Some would say 'if aint broke dont try and fix it' but personally I think it's time for an update. A hot CBR400RR to take on the mighty Ninja 400 would be awesome to see. But I wont be holding my breath on that one... :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
402 Posts
No complaints from me. I like small, economical, and flashy.
For 34 years, I never gave a thought over coolant on my '83 R80RT BMW. It just kept plugging along. Granted it was a slow and awkward pig. But extremely dependable.
But this Honda oil/air cooled engine seems a bit odd in today's market. It's probably a good way to keep costs down, and it's a proven old-school technology. Just surprising.
Will that make it more or less difficult to meet global emissions standards?

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Economical and flashy... isnt that an oxymoron? :unsure: ;)
Yeah the emissions bit is a good question, I guess if it has all the usual Euro five suspects like PAIR valve, EVAP cannister, CAT and a lean fuel map then it should be OK. Without a water jacket the engine noise will be a bit louder but I cant imagine that affecting any maximum dB level readings.
I was probably a bit harsh on it, you know I love my race reps :giggle:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hopefully the same weight (or a bit less), 100 more CC’s, fuel injected and air cooled? Sign me up!!!!
My weep hole will NOT weep no more 🙌🙌🙌
At my age, and after spending a lifetime in close quarters with 2-stroke supercharged turbo diesels and jet turbines, I won’t notice the extra noise from the lack of the water jacket 🤣🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
At my age, and after spending a lifetime in close quarters with 2-stroke supercharged turbo diesels and jet turbines, I won’t notice the extra noise from the lack of the water jacket 🤣🤣🤣
Yes but I'm sure as an engineer you are also well aware of the benefits of a water cooled engine over an air cooled one and I reckon they far out weigh the inconvenience of having to replace a mechanical seal on a water pump. Just sayin ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts