Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
SS brake lines, performance pads, duel brakes? How much you thinking of spending to upgrade your first sport bike that is only one week old? :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's easy. You just remove the screws holding the numberplate, then holding the numberplate firmly, fit a new CBR600RR to the back of it.

That should fix the braking problem.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a non-ABS model 300r as well, and I find the front brakes to be more than adequate. In fact, in several review videos that I've seen comparing the cbr300 to the KTM and Ninja and the R3, most people seemed to think that although the Honda was the least powerful in the group, it was the cheapest, and had the best brakes and suspension.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Let your pads bed in a bit and try a brake bleed first before chucking money at it. Pad upgrade would be easiest option. Shouldn't need it tho, this bike has good brakes IMO.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi
I find nothing wrong with the front brakes, they stop me fine :eek:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yup.. I have had a number of bikes in my past and stock brakes are IMHO very good....better than the Yamaha R 3.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
It's easy. You just remove the screws holding the numberplate, then holding the numberplate firmly, fit a new CBR600RR to the back of it.

That should fix the braking problem.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just ask Fanatic....http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/other-bikes/8218-fanatics-new-bike.html
Actually, the 300R responds better with braking than my 600RR. Maybe it's because the 300 is lighter and easier to manage?? At least I feel this difference at lower speeds. I don't know, I'm afraid to test the 600RR's full potential and wish not to be catapulted off! :laugh:

LoL. Sorry to thread jack.

Welcome aboard, @atown8605 ... Don't forget to post some pics!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Jokes aside, the brakes on the WeeBee are excellent and match the bike very well. Of course, they could be stronger and some owners can't help fiddling and changing things. There's no technical reason why you couldn't fit some high-spec Brembo setup to the bike, if you were determined enough.

Frankly though, unless you enjoy a challenge for the challenge's sake alone, I don't know why you would start with the CBR3. You see, once you've upgraded the brakes you're going to want to upgrade the forks, too, which are set up quite soft and use a very simple design. Of course, there's little point upgrading the front suspension and leaving the rear alone, so.....

Once you've fixed the suspension, you're going to need better tyres. Great, you're looking good now. trouble is, the stock swinging arm is straight off a commuter bike - simple box section steel with no bracing. And so it goes.

Even if you do all of that, you eventually work your way in till you get to the engine - and that's pretty much where you hit a brick wall. Trying to get substantial hp or torque increases out of a little fourstroke single is hard and likely to result in heartbreak.

So, like I say: if people enjoy the challenge of doing the semi-impossible, that's fine, but realistically, if you want better brakes, suspension, power, etc, you'd be better off just buying a faster/better bike in the first place. It would be way cheaper too.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Let your pads bed in a bit and try a brake bleed first before chucking money at it. Pad upgrade would be easiest option. Shouldn't need it tho, this bike has good brakes IMO.
I agree with this. The 300 does have very good braking, and I happened to test them out pretty well during my ownership. I wouldn't change them up so fast without really giving more time to experience them fully.

I'm very picky, and the standard brakes on the 300 exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Picked up a 2015 cbr300 a week ago. It's first sport bike. It's not ABS.

What can I do to improve the front brake?
There have been a few comments about the front brake on various forum posts and most if not all relate to non-ABS models from memory.

The brakes on the ABS model, mine anyway are excellent.

Welcome to the forum :) .

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There have been a few comments about the front brake on various forum posts and most if not all relate to non-ABS models from memory.

The brakes on the ABS model, mine anyway are excellent.

Welcome to the forum :) .
As far as I know, the brake setup on both is identical apart from the addition of the necessary rotation sensor and electronics on the ABS model. Mine is non-ABS (I like to be able to lock the rear if I need to - hopefully never) and the brakes are excellent.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
As far as I know, the brake setup on both is identical apart from the addition of the necessary rotation sensor and electronics on the ABS model. Mine is non-ABS (I like to be able to lock the rear if I need to - hopefully never) and the brakes are excellent.
+ 1 , this is the first complaint Ive heard about the brakes. Generally in reviews/shoot outs the brakes are mentioned as being best in class.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Good point about letting the pads break in.

I was hoping there was a larger rotor upgrade available.

I have a CRF230M with an over sized front rotor. So compared to what I'm used to the 300 brake could be better.

The braking is improving with more miles on the bike but if it was possible I would put an oversized on it. Say 320mm if possible.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Good point about letting the pads break in.

I was hoping there was a larger rotor upgrade available.

I have a CRF230M with an over sized front rotor. So compared to what I'm used to the 300 brake could be better.

The braking is improving with more miles on the bike but if it was possible I would put an oversized on it. Say 320mm if possible.
Oh yeah, that's fair enough if your used to a stronger set up on your CRF. It's funny how you dont miss what you dont know!

I find the brakes on my CBR have more feel and initial bite than my twin rotor GSXR400, but if I give the lever a real good squeeze it pulls up strongly.

Have you done a search on the cbr250.net site regarding front rotor upgrade as its the same front end on those bikes and guys have been modding them for ages.

Cost wise I still wonder if a set of race grade pads would be cheapest option.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah, that's fair enough if your used to a stronger set up on your CRF. It's funny how you dont miss what you dont know!

I find the brakes on my CBR have more feel and initial bite than my twin rotor GSXR400, but if I give the lever a real good squeeze it pulls up strongly.

Have you done a search on the cbr250.net site regarding front rotor upgrade as its the same front end on those bikes and guys have been modding them for ages.

Cost wise I still wonder if a set of race grade pads would be cheapest option.

Anyone have a recommendation for better pads?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts