Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon All,

I am new to this forum, as I just got a new 2018 CBR300r a couple of weeks ago. I got it to replace the 2013 CBR250R that I had for 5 years and 51,000 miles that was starting to have some issues that I chose not to chase.

Anyways, I ride in SoCal for commuting purposes and I have gotten used to the daily near-death experiences. Anyways, hope to run into (meet, not literally) some of you out there on the road.

Oh, and before anybody might get offended, I go by my middle name Richard, hence Dick as the username.

Dick

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Hi Dick. 51K miles is impressive on the 250R. Just curious, what sort of issues were arising with it?
I also had the 250 but only put 5,500 miles on it before being lured to the extra power of the 300 model when it came out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Kiwi Rider,

So it started with an engine quit when I would pull in the clutch for deceleration. Whenever I would start coming to a stop, I would pull the clutch and it would quit. I adapted and just started blipping the throttle to keep it running

As time went on the issue got worse whenever I forgot to blip the throttle and getting it restarted was a pain, which usually involved applying the throttle while trying to start it. For whatever reason, it did not want to turn over when the engine quit this way.

To give some history on the bike, I started by having it maintenanced by a guy who was recommended by a coworker, which I think was a bad choice in the first place. The more work on the bike I started doing on my own (Tire, chain, and sprocket changes) the more I realized, he probably knew what he was doing, but he was a one man show and was just slinging bikes out of his shop. He disappeared at one point and I started taking it to an independent shop in the area, and I wasn't overly impressed with them either... I took it in at the 48k for a valve adjustment and they showed me a picture of most of the bike being disassembled for a valve adjustment... I guess they are used to working on cruisers.

Anyways, the last three times I rode the bike, it would idle for 5-10 seconds and then die, I had to apply constant throttle to keep it running. I changed the battery, because it still had the original, and fuel filter as I though it was related to the injectors either not firing at idle due to a failing battery or the fuel filter being clogged. I don't know what it was, but neither fixed the problem and I felt that I got my monies worth out of the 250r and decided to upgrade.

Although, I have really enjoyed the 300r, I am kinda of wishing I moved to the 500r, but I really can't justify it in my head with maintenance costs. I mean, I read 80ish miles a day and I loved that the 300r was inexpensive to maintain, especially when I started doing everything myself, I don't think the 500r would be the same.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I looked long and hard at the 500. Decided I liked the 300 better. I do miss the acceleration that I used to have with the bigger bikes, but not enough to think I made the wrong choice.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went back to the dealer for the 600 mile service and looked at the 500 again.. I am still coveting the 500, but the extra maintenance costs aren't worth it, and I am a small guy (5.5 ft, 150lbs) so the physical size of the 500 is a lot more than I am used to.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I went back to the dealer for the 600 mile service and looked at the 500 again.. I am still coveting the 500, but the extra maintenance costs aren't worth it, and I am a small guy (5.5 ft, 150lbs) so the physical size of the 500 is a lot more than I am used to.

The 500r has a slightly more aggressive riding position than the 300r.... At my age and physical agility, I thought the CBR650r and CBR1100rr would be near impossible to ride...... (but one can still dream......)

Dick.... one of the biggest sellers for me on the 300 over the 500 was the analog tach!! Besides that, I like the way it looked when I was over it, and it felt good between my legs.... what else could a man hope for.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts