Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a pair of CBR300RA bikes. Hers is the tricolor, mine is the black and yellow. I've named mine Toothless (as in Night Fury), she hasn't named hers yet. No character, I guess? :)

We're just taking a motorcycle safety course this weekend on 1982 Honda Nighthawks. Really must say I like the CBR a little better than the Nighthawks, but the course is great. Feeling much more comfortable with the low speed maneuvers now. I was doing locked handlebar figure eights today and it felt great. Had most trouble with the immediate 90 degree turns from a stop.

Absolutely loved the swerving through cones at speed. I could do that all day long. We should be getting out of the parking lot and putting some road miles on tomorrow at the safety course. Looking forward to that too, although I may have snuck out on a couple of road trips with the CBR already (with my supervisor, of course)

Loving the bike, not planning on getting bored with her any time soon!

The forum has been a great resource as well. Lots of great information for a new rider in general, and about the CBR300 in particular. Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome along, that's pretty cool both of you getting new bikes at the same time. All of my previous girlfriends haven't been that into bikes apart from maybe one or two pillion rides to satisfy their curiosity! Enjoy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We finished the second day of our motorcycle safety course yesterday. We are both feeling very confident about passing the licensing skills test on Thursday morning. That will remove the supervisor restriction so we can get more time on the bikes.

On the second day of the course we did some more low speed maneuvering work. My turns from a stop improved considerably. We also worked on high speed cornering (what, 40km/h [25mph] isn't high speed cornering? Speak for yourself. :D), braking in a corner, accelerating from a stop in a corner, and driving over an obstruction (2x4).

We did a spin out on the the roads as well. A couple of our group are still a bit nervous so we didn't venture far. Riding as a group definitely adds some tension to the ride, with trying to stay together. I was the lead rider, so it wasn't too stressful for me. Just had to keep it slow so we had a chance at sticking together. Car drivers were, by and large, respectful of our bright orange student rider vests.

At the end of the day we did a mock skills test. I lost one point for putting my foot down. On the real test, I think I'll leave it in 1st for the 25-30kmh run. Shifting on that short stretch was a bit much, in combination with the U-turn at the end, and I got wobbly.

We have one more 3 hour session this evening, which will likely be focused on the skills assessment, then it's fingers crossed that the test anxiety doesn't cause any problems on Thursday. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good to hear you guys are doing it the right way; coursework and together! You guys can keep each other in check too... good work. Welcome.
Stay safe out there, and as always..."Finish the Ride!"

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nothing like having his and her bikes of the same type!
I hope the dealer you guys got your bikes from at least cut you a decent deal since you were buying 2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing like having his and her bikes of the same type!
I hope the dealer you guys got your bikes from at least cut you a decent deal since you were buying 2.
We did get the price knocked down a bit, but I'm not much of a haggler, so I won't be advertising our OTD price, on the grounds that ignorance is bliss.

We did get an additional $250 off the price of each bike because we were enrolled in the safety course. I thought this was a nice touch. Do other dealers offer a similar incentive?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, now I have a question. My bike has been neglected since last Saturday. It's been parked in the garage while I've been off gallivanting on the Honda NightHawk for the training sessions. Today the bike stands I ordered arrived, and I put the bike up on the stand and tried to start it up, but there wasn't enough juice in the battery to start the bike. The dash lights all came on, and the EFI pump kicked in. I'm thinking this seems a little unusual. The battery should last longer than a week and a half, I would think?

I put the battery on a 2A trickle charger for an hour, and it started right up.

The dealer has offered us a battery tender for $20CAD (regular $90, they say). Guess I 'd better pick a couple of those up? Should I be checking for a drain on the battery somewhere?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Yes that's not usual. The best bit is that if it does it again then, being a brand new motorcycle under warranty, you just take it right on back to the dealer!

After you've charged up the flat battery of course... ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
when I bought mine I rode it home (the long way) & put it on a battery tender, noticed it took about 2 hours to fully charge which is a long time, so a bike new out of the box the battery really needs a deep charge, after that summertime maybe once per week for the battery tender, winter time constant, besides the battery will last longer if you use a tender

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today is one of those good news/bad news days for me.

Good News

I passed my motorcycle safety assessment today with no demerits! Now I'm free to ride without a supervisor.

Bad News

My bike wouldn't start again today.

I put an ammeter on my battery and found a 23 milliAmp draw on the battery with the ignition off. Service manual specs say 0.8 milliAmp is the limit.

Managed to get the left side fairings off to disconnect the rectifier, but same draw on the battery with no rectifier. (By the way, it would sure have been nice if the service manual had told me to remove the rectifier BEFORE trying to undo the wiring harness. There was no way I could get my fingers on that thing to undo it right behind the frame.)

Looks like a short in the wiring somewhere or a faulty ignition switch, so the bike will have to go back to the dealer for some warranty work.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
That's annoying on a new bike. Sounds like your on to it tho. Keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer said it was the battery. New battery installed, and it started up just fine after sitting for 24 hours, so looks like that's what it was. Hopefully my new bump starting skills won't be needed for a long while.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have the same bike as you and I haven't had a single problem starting it, even after it sat for 2 weeks. Glad you got it fixed enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! Loving it. Ridden it to work every day since I got the new battery, so I'm not giving the battery much of a chance to drain, but it is certainly not causing me any problems anymore.

My new issue is that I'm missing my shift up to third or fourth sometimes. This one is totally user error though. :) I'm working on it. I think I'm not getting the timing right between clutch-throttle-shift. If I go slow and deliberate it's not a problem, but if I try to be quicker, I'll sometimes stay in the lower gear. I've tried the clutchless shifting up, and that works for me, but I'm not terribly smooth coming back on the throttle, and I'm a little worried about what I might be doing to my clutch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got my bike almost new(400 miles on it) and had battery issues right off the bat. It ended up dying once and I am so new to this type of thing so I googled how to bump start. Got it on my first try! Glad to see you got yours going with just a new battery too :)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I cant comment on the standard battery as I swapped mine out for a lithium Ion battery the day i brought the bike home from the dealer. This battery had been in my CBR250R for a year previous and I cant fault it. As a bonus they weigh one quarter of the weight of the lead acid OEM battery.

LFX14L2-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

1 - 18 of 18 Posts