Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a 2017 Cbr300r non abs owner located in Toronto!

Heres what I have done to it:
Bought it brand new
Dobeck EJK (highly reccomend)
Danmoto MK 2 slip-on
Ebay mid-pipe (to fit slip on danmoto)
15,000kms put on the bike total

I bought this bike because I used to be a salesperson at a honda dealership and I had lots of success with these.

A few things before I review: I only weigh 150lbs, and my last bike was a Honda 1986 cb450t, which I loved but it just became a basketcase of repairs and letdowns.

I bought the bike for its low cost brand new, sharp looks, low insurance, and praise online (aside from the crankshaft bearing recall), and took a test ride on one at a "come ride with us" event hosted by Honda.

I've had it now 3 seasons in Toronto and frequently take it up north and on highways, up hills, in the city, and 2up with my wife (who is less than 120lbs).

The bike was great stock and I left it as is for the first season i owned it, top speed after break in (approx 2500kms) was a solid 170km/h indicated, but these things read optimistic by as much as 10km/h or more at high speeds. The bike is completely stable and solid on the highway, but vulnerable to wind as it is super light. In town, it's slightly softly sprung and is great! Lots of control and comfort with our patchy roads in Toronto. I'll ride the highway daily, and even though it's illegal, the cars on this highway (404) cruise at 140km/h, so the opportunity to occasionally test it above that is possible and I make sure not to abuse this.

The tires..... I have mixed feelings, on a summer day the bike handles incredible, but once it gets wet or cold, they become quite sketchy. I'll probably consider some better tires in the future, I am currently on my 2nd rear IRC roadwinner and original front, with 15,000kms on the bike.

After the first season I wanted to burn some cash and make the bike "unique". BEWARE MODDING!!! The bike will almost always want to run lean.

I decided to get a slip on exhaust from Ebay, with a baffle. Unfortunately this significantly cut power and torque, and created occasional backfiring, with more vibration and it was quite loud (all symptoms of running lean). I tried running a second baffle for more back pressure (make it run less lean) and it still wasn't enough. The bike would barely go past 150km/h on the speedo.

So, I consulted this forum and read about the Dobeck EJK. Now for starters, what was a $50 cheapo customization quickly tallied up to about $500 all in. I ordered the Dobeck EJK and it came to about $420cdn. I installed it without much trouble, and I'd reccomend doing it with a buddy because you need to lift the tank at one point to feed the cables properly. I am no mechanic and it went smooth, plenty of resources and instructions on this forum.

Once installed and tuned, the bike was MUCH better. Right off the hop the bike did an indicated 180km/h at the same spot I always test it, with the same gear and body positioning (fully tucked lol). In reality I'm guessing it was prob closer to 170km/h. If anyone is wondering I always run 91 octane fuel before and after ejk install.

The EJK made a world of difference, it's got more torque and the powerband is more linear, and where it used to fall off a bit past 8000rpm it peaks in power!! (right before the rev limiter @10,500rpm) .

I've ridden it like this for 2 seasons and the bike seems the best it's ever been with only a marginal decrease of fuel economy.

I'd suggest dropping a rear tooth on the sprocket because the bike has power on tap and seems to be unnecessarily revving when I do highways.

It's funny how often people will tell me to upgrade, lots of people underestimate these, and with the mods it feels complete.

On twisty roads, my friends on bigger faster sportbikes are challenged to keep up, and from a stoplight this will beat most cruisers below 800ccs. The bike is a strong performer in all areas, especially if you can appreciate just how small 300ccs is.

I love this thing and am curious how many kms I'll get before it blows up. I'll keep this forum posted on my ownership experience. I plan on keeping it till the end.

Ps. Where are my fellow cbr300 owners in Toronto at? I never see these bikes around.

Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Welcome, good review. I had a red '15 model but I bought it in '14. I think the 2017 model looks a lot better with some striping breaking up the red. Yes, these bikes in the right hands can be punted along a twisty road quite quickly as they don't have too many handling vices. With hind sight I should have put fork springs of a higher spring rate in the front right from the new as I was predominately sports riding my bike. The standard springs are .49kg/mm. I now ride a Ninja 400 with .77kg/mm fork springs and it's a lot better. I'm a 130lb rider and I striped 30lbs of unnecessary weight off the bike so I surprised a few guys on bigger bikes off the line! A piggy back fuel controller would have made a world of difference too, as you found out.
Thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kiwi Rider!! I have to give lots of credit to the members on this forum (Melee, CDNhondar, KiwiRider, plus a few I am forgetting)

This forum is a great resource for modding and general faqs on the CB/CBR300. I was ready to give up on the exhaust job until I heard of the ejk on this site.

Seems everyone has the same gripes (tires, front forks, stock engine tune is very conservative).

Toronto can have a very cc focussed/ bourgeois attitude towards bikes. Due to the short season and plethora of wealthy riders here, it's common to see Ducati's, BMW1000rrs and every make of top line supersport bikes. Unfortunately it makes for a very competitive market with many people buying bikes they cant handle just to "keep up" (in a material sense) with the performance and ccs of their riding buddies.

Because of this, we experience stratospheric insurance rates in the GTA, and I find the 300 class (R3, ninja 300/400, RC390, CB300R) managed to slip under the radar and has remained reasonable. As a cost-conscious owner I find the bike fits in the diy, modding, and retro bike owners groups as the bike is competitive and simple. It's great to see such a bustling community online of people that appreciate the utility of a small cc bike. Kudos Kiwi!!

I wish everyone all the best in your 300 ownership experience!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts