Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone- I just joined this forum, my first forum ever, so if I don't do things right, sorry. I plan to buy my cbr 300 in November when I return to udon, Thailand. I live in so. California in the summer.
I have had 60-70 bikes in my lifetime, lots of different kinds, but mostly Hondas. my requirements for a bike here in the US and in Thailand are very different. 4 years ago, in udon, I rode a cbr 150, and liked it very much, but needed more power for better cruising speeds. im kinda big, 220 lbs, but all thai girlfriends only weigh 100 pounds. at thae time bigger bikes were scarce and hard to get. then 2 years ago, I bought a cbr 250 new in khon kaen for 100,000 thb, only 3,300 bucks, and loved that bike.
I had a few small complaints, seat could be a little better, headlight could be a little brighter, muffler could look better, a little more torqe would be nice, and 6th gear could be a little taller. well, Honda read my mind because the 300 fixed all that, and a bit more. my 250 did not have abs, but due to its low weight, compared to bigger bikes, it stopped great, very im portant in s.e. asia because in cities driving is kaos. many time a sat on a curb waiting for the pain to go away after hitting my you know whats on the gas tank during a panic stop, but better than crashing. one time I did lock up the brakes when a dog ran out in front of me, didn't crash, but decided net time ill get abs.
so to sum it up, the 300, I believe will be the perfect bike for me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Glad to have you on the forum! Are you at all nervous to return to Thailand given the military coup that happened there recently?

Plenty of info on here about the CBR300. IF you are still deciding than you should be able to get questions answered and once you get a CBR300 in your garage, then you can show us any mods you'd like to do.

Welcome! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! no, im not worried at all about going back to Thailand. theres always a coup or something, not even noticeable in isaan. and ill buy my 300 there because they make them there so the price will be great, and its the perfect bike for there.
as far as future mods, I think it great that Honda stroked it for the more cc's, so that sometime in the future im sure there will be a big bore kit you can bolt right on for 350cc or so. but we will all know more when we can get the bike!

·
Registered
532 Posts
thanks! no, im not worried at all about going back to Thailand. theres always a coup or something, not even noticeable in isaan. and ill buy my 300 there because they make them there so the price will be great, and its the perfect bike for there.
as far as future mods, I think it great that Honda stroked it for the more cc's, so that sometime in the future im sure there will be a big bore kit you can bolt right on for 350cc or so. but we will all know more when we can get the bike!
I had heard that the big bores on the 250 were never really worth it. I dunno I just feel that the amount of fiddling, funds and parts that are needed to bolt it together proper just far outweight the bennies. I mean at that point might as well just upgrade ;)

At least thats here, I know moto culture in SE asia is quite different...

·
Registered
707 Posts
I guess for some people it's worth depending on how they see it and their situation. I just wouldn't get into it. Rather upgrade to a bigger bike.

·
Registered
528 Posts
worth it is subjective

there will always be those who spend loads on a 250 up to the point where they could have bought a 600

·
Registered
707 Posts
I completely agree.
Never was the type to do crazy mods, but I would do little mods like what you mentioned to open up the engine a bit more. Still rather upgrade if I wanted a nice jump in power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
let me just add this about big bore kits. I wouldn't just take a bike apart to increase the size a bit, but lets say your bike is getting older, now its got a lot of miles on it so your thinking of freshening up the top end, now a big bore kit could make sense.
one other thing to consider though, is some will say why spend the money for more power? easy answer, same weight you had before. and a light bike is good for many reasons, my reason is where I live, traffic is kaos, your weaving, braking, avoiding trouble all the time, I don't want a heavy bike. on the roads in the US where your cruising a lot, weight is not a concern.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome my friend......I personally think that the CBR 300r is just about perfect for anyone. I couldnt be happier with mine. However...... If you feel that it's too small or to under powered for you than get a bigger bike. Just make sure it's a Honda.......

·
Registered
295 Posts
let me just add this about big bore kits. I wouldn't just take a bike apart to increase the size a bit, but lets say your bike is getting older, now its got a lot of miles on it so your thinking of freshening up the top end, now a big bore kit could make sense.
one other thing to consider though, is some will say why spend the money for more power? easy answer, same weight you had before. and a light bike is good for many reasons, my reason is where I live, traffic is kaos, your weaving, braking, avoiding trouble all the time, I don't want a heavy bike. on the roads in the US where your cruising a lot, weight is not a concern.
big bore kits on older bikes have been something i have always been a fan of, never with newer bikes, might as well buy what has the sort of cc and power you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts