Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just got signed up and reading through the rules so figured I would post my first here. I've had a few other bikes and dirtbikes but just bought a 2017 cb300fa from someone who said the battery was dead, so hoping that is all that it is, I have one on order but we will see. I've had a variety of other bikes but currently have a 2009 Yamaha WR250F and 1993 Harley Fatboy. I figured this one would be fun to jump around town on. If I get it going my friends wife has been wanting to ride so I hope I can get it going and she can start off on this. Looks like fun. I'm sure I will be needing some help on this bike since it wasn't running and that is why I signed up.

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hello and welcome.

You may want to charge the battery with a 2 amp charger up to 12.73v and then bring the battery to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts or O'Reilly and they will perform a free load test on it. This way you will know for certain if the battery is the culprit of the bike not starting.

See here:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-test-a-motorcycle-battery

12.73 or better 100 percent. Go ride.
12.62 90 percent. Charge it, then go ride.
12.50 80 percent. Charge it, then go ride.
12.32 70 percent. Charge it, then go ride.
12.20 60 percent. Charge it, then go ride.
12.06 50 percent. Charge it, then go ride.
11.90 40 percent. Try charging it, but it might be toast.
11.75 30 percent. Try charging it, but it might be toast.
11.58 20 percent. Battery has converted to doorstop.
11.31 10 percent. Battery has morphed into boat anchor.
10.50 No meaningful charge. Check to see if battery has been replaced with rock.

Actually before you even charge it you should hook it up to a Multi-Meter/VoltOhmMeter (Such as the cheap one from Harbor Freight tools) and as you can see from the chart above if it is showing 11.90 or below the battery might be a goner.

If you bring to AutoParts store for testing also leave the screws inside the terminals because the machine they use has those huge alligator clips and it needs the screws in the posts in order to be able to grab on to them (Else not enough clearance)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a good charge to reference, I ordered a new one because the gauges wouldn't light up without jumper cables attached to at least show it would turn on. I'll hopefully get that today and then test. Thanks for the chart, haven't seen that before so will have to save that in my documents. I'll try to post in the forum when I get that battery and can do a real test. Thanks for the reply and info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I need to finish my profile, still clicking around. I live in Springfield MO. There are a couple of these riding around, and I hope this one gets there soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts