Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm Linda from Pennsylvania USA and found this forum while researching buying my first bike of my own. Trying to pin down the difference between the F and the R as those are what I am leaning towards at the moment.
Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well mechanically, they're exactly the same. So performance wise it's basically a draw.

Otherwise it comes down to preferred aesthetics and riding position.

R is the full-fairing "race" version. Has more plastics on the front (+windshield) and sides for better aerodynamics. So compared to the F it's a little more stable at higher speeds, as air can pass around the bike easier. Also has a more forward leaning riding position.

F is the "naked" version, with limited plastics on the sides and front (no windshield). This also makes it about ~10lbs lighter than the R. The riding position is upright so you don't have to lean forward much at all while riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That is very helpful. I was trying to find both to sit on/test drive that weren't a hundred miles apart and that was proving difficult lol. But your reply has been helpful to me. Sounds like I may prefer the R. Lighter and upright would be better for me I think and I'm not looking to go zooming around at top speeds either!

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Welcome to the forum Linda, lots of good info on here accumulated over the last 6+ years. The search box function works fairly well as a starting point.

A lot of first time bike buyers prefer the more upright riding position as you can take in your surroundings easily, it's more of a relaxed position and the naked bikes turn easier. The bikes with fairings have more weight on the front wheel and feel heavier to steer and also the clip on handle bars can be narrower (less leverage) than the one piece handle bar like dirt bikes have.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. These folks have already said it... you really can't go wrong with either model. I suggest you get the bike that feels most comfortable when you first sit on it. If the motorcycle is comfortable, you can concentrate your efforts on getting familiar with its controls and handling... instead of an uncomfortable riding position and sore muscles. Enjoy your search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's very valuable information airhead83 on the comfort of the bike. I ended up buying a bike yesterday and sadly it was not a Honda cb like I thought it would be as it just didn't fit me or feel right. Another bike (not a Honda at all) the salesman showed me fit like a glove and so I guess I should slink away from the honda forum now even tho I have just joined 😎 but you are right....when it feels right you know it's your bike!

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Ha ha, no need to slink! Just curious, what did you find that fitted like a glove??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a Kawasaki Z400. I had a great salesman, who once I gave him my bike wishlist put me on every bike he had remotely close to my "demands" and the Kawasaki just felt the best sitting on it. Best rider position, bike height, weight, saddle width. I couldn't be happier.
Salesman in general are always my most dreaded part of buying any new vehicle. But I've underestimated the value of a good one and I was lucky enough to get one!

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Its a Kawasaki Z400. I had a great salesman, who once I gave him my bike wishlist put me on every bike he had remotely close to my "demands" and the Kawasaki just felt the best sitting on it. Best rider position, bike height, weight, saddle width. I couldn't be happier.
Salesman in general are always my most dreaded part of buying any new vehicle. But I've underestimated the value of a good one and I was lucky enough to get one!
Cool. I'm running a Ninja 400 these days so same engine as your Z. They are proving to be a reliable model and you shouldnt have any issues but just check the dealership has set your clutch freeplay up correctly as per the specs in the owners manual. I wont go into any further detail here as it's not the correct forum but there's heaps of info on the Ninja 400 riders forum.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Z400 -- excellent competitor to the Hondas. Basically splits the difference between the CBR300R and CBR500R. Enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts