Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically my title says it all. Should I buy a cb300f? I have done a little research and have found out several problems with this bike such as the kickstand keeping the bike up too upright, the chain being out of spec very quickly, neutral being hard to find, 1st gear being to jerky due to gearing, and the infamous rattling. There is nothing out of my list of problems that I find repulsive except for the rattling. I am a pretty anal person and this rattling issue is really really really making me think twice before buying this bike.

So my general questions is... is the 2015 cb300f worth getting even if it has this inheritable rattling problem? A good follow up question would be, do you regret getting the cb300f due to this rattling problem?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm not sure about the 300F but I own a 300r and haven't had any of those problems......The kickstand isn't even an issue for me. I guess you could pick apart any bike if you wanted to. I personally couldn't be happier with mine.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
A lot of the things you mention aren't really problems, in my honest opinion.

Every product that comes out or has even been out in the market isn't going to be perfect. And some minor flaws actually are a beauty of the machine.

Truth is that the 300 in either form is an updated version of the prior 250... So it's not like it has bugs to be worked out. It has been developed for some years and has improved in different ways.

Yeah, those nitpicks you speak of are things that owners may bring up, but I actually think it would be surprising to find anyone who regrets their purchase decision because of these minor gripes.

Call me biased, but you're getting one heck of a bike, and one will either appreciate it or won't... Simple as that.

* Says the guy who posted up the Dislikes thread. LoL. :laugh:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Call me biased, but you're getting one heck of a bike, and one will either appreciate it or won't... Simple as that.

* Says the guy who posted up the Dislikes thread. LoL. :laugh:
Ah, you were just playing devil advocate with the dislike thread. We all thought the same thing... :)

To Knights (op), I love my 300R and also have had really none of those problems (the kickstand thing is true but, geez, don't let a kickstand keep you from deciding). The "rattle" exists on my bike but is minimal and I accept it as a personality trait of hers. I am still able to enjoy my ride to the fullest each time I gear up, start up, T CLOCS, and hit the road for a ride!

Let us know what you decide and then be sure to introduce yourself in the new member thread, buddy!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I bought a 300r, and although some of those problems are true, the good outweighs the bad by a tramendous margin. I love my bike and don't regret it at all. In the spring I plan on removing the kickstand and modifying it to be a tad shorter. I've also found that running higher octane gas, or ethanol free gas (if you can get it where you are) cut down on the rattle as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also haven't had any trouble at all finding neutral, and first year is only jerky until you get used to the bike, then it's not so bad. Keep in mind that a lot of the reviews you've read, the bikes havnt been completely broken in yet

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies and welcoming comments! I would just like to clarify and narrow this thread to just the rattling being my biggest concern. All the other "problems" I have mentioned do not bother me at all. It is simply the rattling issue that I am afraid will make me regret buying the 2015 CB300F.

Once again thank you for all the replies. I really appreciate the lack of waiting for a response. I hope to see more CB300F owners reply however I greatly appreciate any response from anyone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say if you in that much doubt about it, you might as well pass.
I question everything before I buy anything. Thank you very much for the helpful information.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2015 cb300fa , new to Canada this year, and I had the chain adjusted at 600 Km
but don't know how much it was adjusted. I'm careful how I park the CB so have not had any problems with the kick stand. I have not heard any rattles with well over 2000 Km on the bike. I'm just loving it!!! No shifting problems with the bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2015 cb300fa , new to Canada this year, and I had the chain adjusted at 600 Km
but don't know how much it was adjusted. I'm careful how I park the CB so have not had any problems with the kick stand. I have not heard any rattles with well over 2000 Km on the bike. I'm just loving it!!! No shifting problems with the bike.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 300F has a rattle sound around 5k rpm. Being a new bike I am hyper-sensitive to everything going on so to me it's annoying. I've had friends ride it and I ask them if they hear any sounds and nobody reports anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 300F has a rattle sound around 5k rpm. Being a new bike I am hyper-sensitive to everything going on so to me it's annoying. I've had friends ride it and I ask them if they hear any sounds and nobody reports anything out of the ordinary.
Is it so annoying that you wouldn't buy the bike again or do the good things about the bike outweigh this rattling problem? Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is an easy solution to your dilemma my friend - a test ride.
Using your bike as an example, some bikes will not produce this rattling problem. However yes, I will be test riding a cb300f once I get the chance. Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just came in from a ride trying to keep the engine around 5K RPM. The only noise that I heard was what I would call tappet noise from the valves. It might be described as a rattle by some. It was nothing that I felt was not normal. I now have 26530 Km on the CB300fa.

Since my CB300 was just made last summer, if there was a problem, perhaps they have solved it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just came in from a ride trying to keep the engine around 5K RPM. The only noise that I heard was what I would call tappet noise from the valves. It might be described as a rattle by some. It was nothing that I felt was not normal. I now have 26530 Km on the CB300fa.

Since my CB300 was just made last summer, if there was a problem, perhaps they have solved it.
I don't ever buy my bikes new so I will most likely end up with this issue however it seems to me that the owners that are experiencing this "rattling" issue, including you, do not find this as a reason to regret buying the bike since the pros outweigh the cons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes this tappet noise is what I am hearing.I have done 4000km.If it was tappets why is it not heard at tick over or when the bike is revved in neutral on the stand?.
Good question, if it is the valves making this noise than maybe something with the engine being under-load/ridden has something to do with it. It would be interesting to see how far out of specifications the valves on cbr300r/cb300f get at their recommended valve-check service interval.

Maybe the design of the cylinder head contributes to this noise.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts