Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself here after lurking for a while. I have my sights set on a 300 here in the coming months so I thought I'd go ahead and jump on in.

I consider myself still a newbie to riding although I'm not entirely green. I'm a huge racing fan no matter if it's MotoGP or Formula 1, so when I started college at the University of Texas at Arlington, I got heavily involved with the Formula SAE program on campus (if you've never heard of it and are interested in racing check it out, it's pretty freakin sweet!) and naturally I caught the bug for a bike. Seeing as I'm only 5'3 I debated between the Ninja 250 and the CBR250 for quite some time. After going to MotoGP in Austin and getting to sit on the CBR for the first time I was sold by how solid it was and how well it fit me as a short rider. I promised myself that I would build my gear collection first and then take a MSF course before I even thought about getting a bike. Well of course, I came across a screaming deal in November of last year for a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R that I couldn't pass up. Not my first choice of course since even it felt big to me, but like I said, would've been stupid to pass on it. Kept my promise though and it sat in the garage through winter until I had my gear/license and felt I was actually ready to ride the thing. The plan all along was to sell it and in the time that I did have it, I could get my feet wet and learn a little, so that's just what I did this summer. Only clocked in 600 miles before it sold, but I'm hooked. It may still be a while before I get a 300, but I'm hoping it won't be long. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing everyone else's as they start to trickle in, and hopefully I'll get to share mine with yall soon!

-Doc

·
Registered
532 Posts
HEy welcome to the show! I actually have heard of Formula SAE, when I was in school a few years back we had the program as well, having grown up the son of a grease monkey and working in shops to put myself through college I was naturally very excited about the prospects. However when I went to join they wouldn't let me play seeing as I wasn't in engineering and just a marketing jock.

Too **** bad, I could drive a mean go kart...;):D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new bike. Welcome to the forum!

Are you planning any changes or mods to your new bike? Can you post some pictures?

Cheers!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cropper: Haha I hear you man since I'm a marketing major also! Our program is "open to all majors" but everyone on the team was an engineer when I arrived. It took a while to show them I wasn't just another business major, but I eventually earned their respect :)

Shift: No bike quite yet, but ASAP...or at least when they finally start hitting the showrooms... No plans for mods as of yet, maybe an exhaust down the road if it sounds too much like a fart machine :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be honest, I'm very much on the fence at the moment. I'm paying off the final bits of college debt I have so it depends mostly on how long that takes. I would like to try and pick one up sometime this winter in the hopes of getting a little better of a deal and then I can have it for a full season next year. I was really bummed that the Repsol didn't make it (although I know it never does in the first year) so I would hate to pick one up to have a Repsol released a few months after I purchase one. I know, I know it's shallow, but it is my favorite scheme by far haha

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it did take over a year, but I finally got myself a 300! Been eyeing Craigslist for months now and this one came along. The guy had bought it for his wife a month ago, she didn't like it, so he bought her a Rebel instead. Had 86 miles on it when I got it. Paid $3700 after tax/title/license. I feel like I got a fair deal. Had my heart really set on the R but after the first ride, I'm completely sold on the F. Glad to be back on two wheels again regardless, that's for sure!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
WOW! You did alright my friend. I just bought a 300 R about a week and a half ago..just in time for Winter. My bike is at the dealer for storage so I have not even had it for a ride yet. Come on Spring!

·
Premium Member
5,384 Posts
Welcome! That was quite cool reading back through your old posts and seeing you now finally realise the dream. Nice one.
Maybe I should post a thread on here about how I'm looking at getting a CBR___RR next year... :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Welcome! That was quite cool reading back through your old posts and seeing you now finally realise the dream. Nice one.
Maybe I should post a thread on here about how I'm looking at getting a CBR___RR next year... :D
Maybe you could do a trade with FANATIC!!! Of course you would accept USD from him to get new accessories for your newish ride....:devil:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol fortunately for us here in Texas, the weather during winter isn't as bad as a lot of places. It was in the mid 70's the last few days so I've taken the bike out a number of times and loving every second of it.

Kiwi, give it a try!! And since you're down in NZ, make it for a 250RR so I can import one here to the States and enjoy that 19k redline!!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The Water Cooler talk here is that the new Honda RR will be of the 350cc variety to compete with the Yamaha R 3.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nice pick up, and way to keep at it...

Btw, I was born in Fort Worth and resided there until I was about 4 or 5. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice pick up, and way to keep at it...

Btw, I was born in Fort Worth and resided there until I was about 4 or 5. :)
Nice! I just noticed you're in Plano. Maybe one of these days we'll run into each other. I'm technically in Euless but I always say Dallas/Fort Worth since more people tend to know where that is.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts