Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
Very happy with my new CB300F - the little motorcycle that could! Looking forward to the snow melting off here in Montreal, Canada so I can get out for a good long spring ride. I am very interested in some light touring and would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have for mounting brackets that allow for a top case to be installed. I've looked all over the internet and it seems manufacturers don't include the CB300F in their lists ... so having no luck so far. My bike is pearl white so ideally I can find a nice top box, around 30-40 litres in size.
Anyhow, nice to join a club with like minded moto enthusiasts.
Cheers,
Elpedalo

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Welcome to the forum friend. 'The little bike that could', I like that! :D

The CB's seem to be selling well of late and most folk agree they look really smart in the White. If you use the search function you will find various threads on luggage possibilities.
Enjoy the coming riding season.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello elpedalo. I live in Toronto.

There is this thread about a top case, but it's from Thailand:
http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/parts-accessories/6233-mounting-rack-givi-e21-e22.html

Otherwise, I don't remember seeing any other reference to top cases for our bikes.
There is a luggage rack you can order from Bikerzbits:
https://bikerzbits.com/apk3381200ta-cbr300r-f-rear-rack.html
It's a shop in Thailand, but even with the shipping charge the price is reasonable.
I have it on my CB. It seems sturdy. It's quite narrow, though, so care needs to be taken attaching camping equipment to it.
Soft panniers can be attached to the bike, but be careful on the right side - the muffler
limits the pannier space (it gets hot and melts/burns everything that touches it).
I've done two 5-day camping trips and one tour on my CB. It can be done, but loading the bike is not much fun, as it's not designed for it. Unless you have some high-tech camping equipment like an ultra-light down sleeping bag that packs really small and a sleeping pad that also packs tiny.
These Tourmaster Select saddlebags from FortNine (in Montreal) fit the bike quite well:
https://fortnine.ca/en/tourmaster-select-saddlebags
They are tiny, though. Only 12 litres each. I have them on my bike now, but it's obvious unless I update my camping gear with the mentioned high-tech ultra-light and small stuff, there won't be any more camping trips.
Before I had Kappa panniers. Actually, cheaper than the Tourmasters and 2x as big.
They were large enough to enable my camping trips, but the right one couldn't be expanded (due to the high exhaust) and also had to be held up by a bungie cord attached
to the rear luggage rack so the bottom of the panniers would stay about 5 cm above the muffler.
Another thing I've discovered is that if you load the bike with camping gear and you park on uneven ground, the bike is tippy - the heavy rear of the bike wants to tip the bike over (this is not an issue on hard even ground though).
As I said, camping/self-supported touring can be done with this bike, but it's not a completely smooth sail. You mention "light touring", so perhaps you mean just a motel-hopping adventure. For this the bike is sufficient.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for all the excellent information. The rack from Thailand looks good but the member has a CBR300R so I'm not sure it will fit on my CB300F? If so I think it is a great option.

Again, thanks for all the advice and links!

Adrian

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for all the excellent information. The rack from Thailand looks good but the member has a CBR300R so I'm not sure it will fit on my CB300F? If so I think it is a great option.

Adrian
You'll find most parts between the "f" and "r" are compatible. The exceptions, of course, would be the fairings, headlights, engine guards, handlebars, and a couple other small things. The entire rear of both bikes, passenger seat, exhaust, passenger foot pegs, and grab handle bars are the same on both versions of the 300. A lot of sites in Thailand/Indonesia usually only refer to the cb300f model.
Also, a lot of add-on items for the cbr250r will fit the 300f and r. Panniers may be an issue there though because the 250r has a different exhaust and slightly different grab bars. There may be a clearance problem with the muffler or something like that. But I'd say about 75% of the add-on parts I have on my 'R' were listed for the 250r.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi Michael,

Adrian

Mine is CB300F. Easy to install, as mentioned. One thing is that if you install the rack, you won't be able to carry a pillion without very likely damaging the plastic covers by the pillion seat. This is because
the grab rails (that come with the bike) have special tabs on which a part of the pillion seat sits. The rear luggage rack lacks those tabs, so the pillion seat sits on the plastic covers. It's not a problem with empty pillion seat. Some members here welded on DIY metal tabs (to their rear racks).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome! Hope you enjoy your CB300F, let us know what your thoughts are. I put a deposit on a CB300F from a guy in Ottawa, and I'll be riding it all the way back to BC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Michael, appreciate the clarification ... now if it would just stop snowing in Montreal! Talk about April Fools!

·
Registered
2015 CB300F
13 Posts
Reviving old thread ....did anyone sort a cost effective top case?
I'm tempted by the Shad rack at least ....there are some used Shad top cases around.

Does anyone have info on what Givi rack fits the CB300?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts