Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed a new rattle. Sounds like the ball in a spray-paint can when you shake and it's coming from the front instrument panel. It rattles even when I am coasting with the bike off and in N, so this rattle is not engine related. Best I can come up after reading through several rattle posts is that it is my tilt sensor. Someone described that as rattling like it has a BB inside of it when you shake it. I may have to just bypass the thing since someone has also given good instructions on how to do that. Anyone know how those sensors work. I mean is there an actual metal piece inside that moves around?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I developed a new rattle. Sounds like the ball in a spray-paint can when you shake and it's coming from the front instrument panel. It rattles even when I am coasting with the bike off and in N, so this rattle is not engine related. Best I can come up after reading through several rattle posts is that it is my tilt sensor. Someone described that as rattling like it has a BB inside of it when you shake it. I may have to just bypass the thing since someone has also given good instructions on how to do that. Anyone know how those sensors work. I mean is there an actual metal piece inside that moves around?

It's called the 'Bank Angle Sensor'... I don't think your rattle noise is coming from the BAS, as the ball inside this sensor is suspended in a light oil.

I would start by going through and checking all of the various screws in the upper cowl/instrument cluster area for tightness.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. It's just that the description of a BB moving around and rattling describes the sound to a T. Nothing is loose that I can find. This sound wouldn't come from something loose anyway. It would come from something off and rattling around...a washer or screw inside the instrument panel or something like that. It does sound like it is coming from the dashboard area and the BAS is right behind the headlight. I rode the bike without a helmet and coasted down a hill. Going over rough areas of the road caused the rattle for a couple seconds. I notice there is a little play in the front fender even when the fasteners are tight, but that wouldn't make this loose bb rattling around inside a can sound. The fact it isn't engine related like my other rattle was is reassuring. Guess I'll take off the nose fairing and headlight to check. Even if it is rattling though, apparently that is not a defective part and people have tried taking it and insulating it to reduce the sound with varying success. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. No go on removing the nose fairing. Some fastener is holding it on that I can't find..or else there is a trick to getting it off. Got is loose enough to look in and see the wiring and back of the headlight, but not off and I don't want to break anything. Looked like just two hex bolts and 2 pop rivets holding it on. Next I removed the 2 bolts securing the nose to the frame. It wiggles good but still something holding it on up at the top. I'll either have to buy a service manual or live with the rattle it I guess.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I had an odd, intermittent rattling noise on my 250R last year... turned out to be a small rock bouncing around down inside the lower engine cowl.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
that was one reported here from
a screw in lower cowel..
another reported a source under
front tank cover..
another a screw inside instrument panel
[these from assembly]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There are certainly a lot of different rattles reported with this bike...some rattle at 5000rpms possibly from valves or valve springs, loose hardware, rocks, leaves, BAS, loose gas caps. I had one that turned out to be ignition that was solved by using premium gas, now this rattle whatever that is. Update: After failing to get the nose cone off, I rode it today and there was no rattle. I didn't do a dang thing to the bike and no loose screws fell out of the front cowling when I had it moving, so it remains a mystery. The lower cowling on the CB300F is open so nothing could hide in there. In the scheme of what can go wrong with motorcycles though, these aren't serious issues even if you have them...not like stalling which the 2013 Ninja 300 and several other new models of bikes have had. A rattle won't get you hurt...unless you are like me, riding without a helmet, standing up and bending over the handlebars with your ear to the instrument cluster trying to locate a dang rattle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are certainly a lot of different rattles reported with this bike...some rattle at 5000rpms possibly from valves or valve springs, loose hardware, rocks, leaves, BAS, loose gas caps. I had one that turned out to be ignition that was solved by using premium gas, now this rattle whatever that is. Update: After failing to get the nose cone off, I rode it today and there was no rattle. I didn't do a dang thing to the bike and no loose screws fell out of the front cowling when I had it moving, so it remains a mystery. The lower cowling on the CB300F is open so nothing could hide in there. In the scheme of what can go wrong with motorcycles though, these aren't serious issues even if you have them...not like stalling which the 2013 Ninja 300 and several other new models of bikes have had. A rattle won't get you hurt...unless you are like me, riding without a helmet, standing up and bending over the handlebars with your ear to the instrument cluster trying to locate a dang rattle.
I can't really comment on why the rattle suddenly stopped, but I have to assume that these bikes are going to be prone to more intermittent rattles in different places on the bike throughout its useful life considering that you have a single cylinder bike with a little more bore and stroke than the 250. I'm no engineer, but it seems like that would jostle a few screws loose over time from the vibration.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I owned a Grom. Talk about shaking. That bike shook bad at idle and shook my license plate fasteners out and I just caught it before the plate fell off. Still, there were no rattles or weird noises other than the license plate rattling against the fender before I stuck some tape on the back of the plate. The CB300F has way less vibration than the Grom. Actually for a single cylinder, the CB300F is pretty smooth with the exception being when you take off in 1st gear with a cold bike. That can be a little jumpy but they must have balanced the engine well because otherwise it rides very smooth..not parallel twin smooth, but smooth enough. Even if the rattle returns and I expect it to, I love the bike. For me, the light weight and basic simplicity is very important.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I owned a Grom. Talk about shaking. That bike shook bad at idle and shook my license plate fasteners out and I just caught it before the plate fell off. Still, there were no rattles or weird noises other than the license plate rattling against the fender before I stuck some tape on the back of the plate. The CB300F has way less vibration than the Grom. Actually for a single cylinder, the CB300F is pretty smooth with the exception being when you take off in 1st gear with a cold bike. That can be a little jumpy but they must have balanced the engine well because otherwise it rides very smooth..not parallel twin smooth, but smooth enough. Even if the rattle returns and I expect it to, I love the bike. For me, the light weight and basic simplicity is very important.
I think locktite in the fasteners would have helped to keep them from loosening up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've noticed a small rattle that seems to come & go. It sounds like it's coming from under the radiator area by the wheel. I'm going to use the hex key to fasten down some of the screws just to make sure there isn't anything loose. It definitely sounds like a rattling screw from the vibrations.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
I've noticed a small rattle that seems to come & go. It sounds like it's coming from under the radiator area by the wheel. I'm going to use the hex key to fasten down some of the screws just to make sure there isn't anything loose. It definitely sounds like a rattling screw from the vibrations.
'Return of the phantom rattle' pt.III :eek:

Lock up your daughters and break out the Loctite :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I recently purchased a CBR300, and it now has 1000 km on it. I also hear this "rattling" noise around 5000 - 5500 rpm. It sounds like some kind of engine chain noise to me, but I'm certainly no expert. It doesn't seem to effect the operation of the bike, but I was, and still am, a little worried about it. I am taking my bike in for its first service this weekend and I will ask them to listen to it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I was out for a ride with a fellow CBR 300 R rider the other day and he too mentioned a rattle in his bike at about 5500 RPMs. He asked me if I had rattles also and I said..just the ones in my head. :) However he revved up his bike to 5500 and sure enough it was there......his clutch lever was bouncing like crazy making a bloody racket. So check yours out it just may be the clutch lever.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Every bike I've owned has had rattles. I fix 'em with these:

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi
I got annoyed with the rattle on mine tried all kinds of things from fastners to petrol cap, I did notice there was no rattle going up in speed or coming down in speed just at the point of maintaining it, I came across a site that suggested the pair valve baffle in the cylinder head. I coundnt be fussed removing all the tank and fairing so I just took off the nearside panels after loosening the middle cowl, then I disconnected the rubber hose from the solenoid and blocked it of with a wooden dowel and covered the solenoid valve, tucked it away and have ridden it for the past few days, the loud rattle has gone and can just hear a little one , which is probably the baffle plate still rattling but without the reed valve opening making it worse, this I can live with, sounds so much better, when I can be arsed I may pull it all apart and remove the baffle fully or block it off.
Takes half an hour to do so might be worth a punt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I had the 'rattle'. Exactly as everyone describes around 5000-5500rpms only when giving it very light throttle or just letting off the throttle. I tried to track it down constantly to no avail. I blocked off the Pair valve, then even took out the whole Reed and put a block off plate on. The sound didn't go away but I did notice there was another sound that I guess I never cared too much about that was now gone. So I just learned to live with it and tried to keep the rpms out of that area. So while making my rounds in some Thai Forums I found out that it is a very common and known issue over there that there is a factory problem with the Cam Chain Tensioner. Apparently it sits a bit loose and allows the chain to flap a bit. They said it's on every single cylinder, even the CRF. That would probably explain the sound going away under heavy throttle or higher rpms. That is not worth opening as it's a major job but 1 guy did, and showed the problem with photos.
So recently I installed a new set of clip-ons. I had to take off the wheel and push the forks up a bit. Also had to take the brake hose clips off at the caliper and the bolted clip on the triple tree to give it some free play. Then I took off both the clutch and throttle cable clips that were attached to the top triple tree clamp again to allow for free movement since the clip ons were low. So I tightened it all back up really good and bought some aftermarket type 'farkle' clamps for the brake hose and throttle cables. But they are still not connected to the bike in any way and have total free play. I don't know if anything I did solved the rattle issue for sure, but my 'rattle' issue is totally gone..for sure.
The very first ride after that job, and every ride since I have not had any sort of rattle at all. Totally gone.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Update. No go on removing the nose fairing. Some fastener is holding it on that I can't find..or else there is a trick to getting it off. Got is loose enough to look in and see the wiring and back of the headlight, but not off and I don't want to break anything. Looked like just two hex bolts and 2 pop rivets holding it on. Next I removed the 2 bolts securing the nose to the frame. It wiggles good but still something holding it on up at the top. I'll either have to buy a service manual or live with the rattle it I guess.
I assume you took off the mirrors? The 4 bolts in the dash under the windscreen? Underneath the headlamps and then the 2 big bolts up underneath the fairing that attach to the front frame bracket stay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts