Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 799 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently there is a new recall pending, which involves the connecting rod bearing on 2015-2016 CBR300R's & CB300F's...

From the American Honda Powersports website: Recall Information - Honda Powersports ...

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: AWAITING#
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: CB/CBR300 ROD BEARING RECALL
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: KB9
RECALL DATE:
RECALL STATUS: VIN/HIN Required

And from this website: Honda CBR300R & CB300F Stop Sale / Recall - Potentially Defective Crankshaft | Honda-Pro Kevin ...

– 2015 – 2016 CBR300R & 2015 – 2016 CB300F Motorcycle Recall –

Honda just announced a STOP SALE NOTICE of model year 2015 through 2016 CBR300R and CB300F motorcycles to repair a potentially defective crankshaft on affected motorcycles.

What could happen if your crankshaft fails? If the connecting rod bearing retainer breaks, the engine may stall and/or not restart. An engine that stalls while riding increases the risk of a crash.

Effective immediately, dealers can not sell any 2015 through 2016 CBR300R and CB300F motorcycles until it has been repaired according to this Service Bulletin.

Affected Units:

2015 CBR300R – All
2016 CBR300R – All
2015 CB300F – All
2016 CB300F – All
American Honda will be mailing notification letters to owners of affected CBR300R & CB300F motorcycles by late August, 2016.

Also found on this Australian website: Honda CB300F And CBR300R Recalled For Possible Engine Issue - Behind the Wheel...

The very popular Honda CB300F and CBR300R are being recalled due to a potential problem that could lead to a major engine failure.

Honda states that “due to incorrect Quality Control during the manufacturing process, the engine crankshaft bearings may fail and cause the engine to stop suddenly and be unable to be restarted” in the recall notice issued through the ACCC recall website.

The recall notice also suggests that if engine stops suddenly while riding it could result in a crash.

Affected VIN numbers are:

CB300F: MLHNC52U3F5100001 to MLHNC52U9G5200248
CBR300R: MLHNC51U5F5100003 to MLHNC51U7G5200699
The Honda CB300F and CBR300R share the same single cylinder 300cc engine.

Owners are being asked to take their motorcycle to their nearest Honda Dealer and arrange to have the motorcycle repaired as soon as possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Weak Sauce, I have both models.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Issues "Stop Sell" on All 300's

Went to the dealer yesterday for my 600 mile service. Dealer tells me that Honda has had them remove all 300's from sales floor pending an engine "main shaft" recall/replacement. Dealer also said that Honda will take such action when a problem has been identified and when injury(s) or worse has occurred. They are hoping to have the parts in a week or so.

I assume what they told is valid and true. Just passing it along for what it's worth.

Ride safe!

Reactions: mikal

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
From the looks of it, those affected VIN numbers listed on the Australian website cover all of the 2015 CB300F's & CBR300R's, and a small number of early production 2016 models (248 CB300F's and 699 CBR300R's) imported to Australia.

For those who may not be aware of how Honda differentiates between model years in the VIN number, the tenth character of the VIN is a model year letter code... F is used for the 2015 model year, and G is used for the 2016 model year.

CB300F: MLHNC52U3F5100001 to MLHNC52U9G5200248

CBR300R: MLHNC51U5F5100003 to MLHNC51U7G5200699

·
Registered
256 Posts
Im interested to see what they will replace exactly. As the honda parts list shows the crank and rod as 1 assembly.
13000-K33-D03

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Went to the dealer yesterday for my 600 mile service. Dealer tells me that Honda has had them remove all 300's from sales floor pending an engine "main shaft" recall/replacement. Dealer also said that Honda will take such action when a problem has been identified and when injury(s) or worse has occurred. They are hoping to have the parts in a week or so.

I assume what they told is valid and true. Just passing it along for what it's worth.

Ride safe!
I wouldn't count on dealers having the parts that quickly. As one website stated, American Honda Motor Co. will be sending U.S. owners of affected bikes notification letters by the end of August. Needless to say, Honda will have to come up with new replacement crankshaft assemblies (as well as related parts like crankshaft main bearings & bottom end gaskets) in sufficient quantities to cover all of the affected bikes worldwide. Obviously manufacturing these new parts won't happen overnight, and will take some time.

Honda will also need to look at any crankshaft assemblies already sitting on shelves in their parts warehouses to see if those may been built using the same production lot of faulty rod bearings... much like the faulty ignition switch recall that General Motors had a couple years ago, which not only affected customer vehicles but large numbers of ignition switches that GM & AC Delco wholesalers, dealers and independent retailers already had on their shelves. So it's probably a safe assumption that today Honda has a 'hold' on shipping any crankshafts they may currently have in their warehouses.

Im interested to see what they will replace exactly. As the honda parts list shows the crank and rod as 1 assembly.
13000-K33-D03
As you say, since it's an assembly (con rod & bearing are not available as separate parts), it will have to be replacement of the complete crankshaft/connecting rod assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So quick question, this is my first bike and it has been running flawlessly so far. Should I wait to take it in until they have a solution for it or take it in now. I love riding it and its my only way to get to work besides buses. What do you guys think? If I rode it and the crankshaft did break would they fix it at no cost?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is this a UK problem as well?, mine ends in B4F5100251, not the U5F5.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello,
I've been on this site for a while but never post, just a quiet kind of guy who listens more than talks. I do enjoy reading what you all have to say.
I have a Tricolour CBR300RA 2015 in case anyone was wondering.
Anyhooo the reason I'm writing is, that after reading this thread this morning I reached out to Honda Canada and shocked by their response.
First on their site my VIN comes up as a recall but no info, just to call or email them.
Second the email got an automatic response saying higher than usual email and to call.
So I called, after waiting on hold for a length of time then having to answer 5 minutes worth of question to confirm that I own my bike I was put on hold so the C.S could look into this. So yes there is recall for the codrod bearing but the haven't notified the authorities yet and then the letters will go out in late August sometime (to owners) but no parts are yet available to fix all the bikes!!!
When asked about the safety of using the bike he said he was not a technician and could not answer. He suggest calling the dealer who (he admitted) may not have even been notified yet of the issue.
So what gives?
Is it safe?
When are the parts available?
So in the mean time I called the dealer and they weren't aware but took the time to investigate and confirmed that no pieces were available and no service bulletin was yet issued. They did open a file for my bike and will contact me as soon as they have more info and or parts.
The MAIN THING is that he told me to stop using the bike. Both the service manager and the mechanic feel strongly about this because of possible seizing of the engine and crashing that could happen.
The riding season in Canada is short enough as it is without losing weeks or months to get it fixed.
What are the other member doing? You all parking the bike or how great is the risk really?

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

Gabriel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ugh..I wonder if Honda Dealers will take the recalled bikes back as a trade-in? I'll just trade up maybe to the 650f

You can also punch in your VIN # here to see any recalls listed. It does list this recall but the status shows "status not available"
Recall Information - Honda Powersports

I would totally take a trade in deal but something tells me this will not be an option...

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I would totally take a trade in deal but something tells me this will not be an option...
You always obviously get less on trade-ins than selling privately, but you think Honda wouldn't take the bike because of the recall?
Kelly Blue Book trade-in is about $22-2300 and Retail value is about $3300

·
Registered
10 Posts
I mean that kinda a horrible deal though. I paid $4800 brand new for my bike. Really with a recall like this will as many bikes as it affected and how serious the problem is and they have no solution probably for a number of months, they should offer full refunds. They would never do that but if they gave me the option, I would upgrade to a 500 or 600 and pay the difference...

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Is this a UK problem as well?, mine ends in B4F5100251, not the U5F5.
It looks like it's every single F and G 300 engine made. Go to the Honda Recall website I posted and punch in your VIN #. It will show the Recall but says the status is unavailable. They haven't given it a recall # or anything yet

1 - 20 of 799 Posts