Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Anna and I am from Washington state!

I passed the motorcycle class about a year ago and got my endorsement. YAY!
I started on a Suzuki GS850 and I dropped it after trying to attempt a U turn without realizing how heavy the bike is...
my mistake 100% and this was my first time sitting on a bike after getting my license.
Sadly I messed up the bike and it needs repairs and I am honestly too nervous to get back on the GS850 until I get better at motorcycling...(I only drove down my neighborhood a little and dropped the GS850)
A year later and my husband just recently purchased a 2018 CB300F for me and that motorcycle just makes me smile!!
sorry for the long intro! I cant wait to learn new things and soon enough get on the road!

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum Anna :)
I'm from New Zealand but I've been to Washington State twice. First time by myself in '95 and then again in '07 with a girl friend. Unfortunately both times I was travelling in a rental car as some of the roads over the mountain passes looked to be excellent biking roads. I just love going fast round corners basically and in recent years have branched into track racing to scratch the itch in a safer environment.

Great idea to find your wings on a smaller, lighter machine that you can be the mistress of rather than vice versa. Have fun out there and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Lots of us have owned, ridden, and sold larger motorcycles. Then returned to lighter and just as capable bikes.. and never looked back. Enjoy and Ride Safe.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man 3 new posts from people in the PNW. Nice.

Whereabouts in WA are you? Do you ever go across the border for day trips?
Yeah I noticed the new people from Washington too! our weather is starting to get nice lol.
I am from Spanaway, WA so I'm pretty close to Mount Rainer!
almost every weekend I either go travel around Washington, Oregon or Cali. My husband and I do a lot of traveling!
I have only been to Canada once just to visit Vancouver and we loved it! once the border opens up we plan to go back there again soon! any tips on places to go for motorcycle rides there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum Anna :)
I'm from New Zealand but I've been to Washington State twice. First time by myself in '95 and then again in '07 with a girl friend. Unfortunately both times I was travelling in a rental car as some of the roads over the mountain passes looked to be excellent biking roads. I just love going fast round corners basically and in recent years have branched into track racing to scratch the itch in a safer environment.

Great idea to find your wings on a smaller, lighter machine that you can be the mistress of rather than vice versa. Have fun out there and keep us posted on your progress.
Hello! thanks for the warm welcome!
Oh bummer! Washington is so great for motorcycle riding! maybe next time you come to Washington? I still haven't gotten to ride on the road with my cb300f since I'm still practicing in parking lots but I have been passenger with my husband many times on his gxsr750 so I have seen a lot of nice roads he goes to for corners. We live so close to Mount Rainer too so the road to there is amazing for riding corners!! I wish you lots of fun on the track :)

Yeah! I am so glad that I was able to find something lighter and more friendly to me. I am a little short on the motorcycle but not enough to make it a problem since its so light compared to the other one I dropped :/
I'll be sure to post! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the Forum. Lots of us have owned, ridden, and sold larger motorcycles. Then returned to lighter and just as capable bikes.. and never looked back. Enjoy and Ride Safe.:)
I am so glad I'm not the only one! I learned my lesson and I still have the heavier motorcycle so once I overcome my fears in the future I plan to treat it well too!

Thanks for the welcome and I wish everyone safety and fun too! especially with the weather getting better where I'm located. ☀

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have only been to Canada once just to visit Vancouver and we loved it! once the border opens up we plan to go back there again soon! any tips on places to go for motorcycle rides there?
There's a few rides but not much choice IMO. Also there are some cops that straight up hate bikers (sometime for good reason since there are people that speed up and down the Sea to Sky highway and treat it like it's MotoGP) so don't speed or you'll get the flatbed.

Anyways two rides that I can think of:

Highway 99 up to Whistler > Pemby > Lillooet > Kamloops then back down is a nice multi day ride.

You can also go up highway 1 to Spences Bridge.

There's also Highway 3 (Crowsnest Highway) that is very nice. My ex did that trip with her parents and she was on a Ninja 250 so the 300 is plenty fine power wise (not great since you have the naked version but it'll work). If you can swap motorcycles with your husband every so often it'll make it much more enjoyable of a ride since you just get beat up on the small bike.

Also highly recommended to get an aftermarket wind screen like a Puig if you're going to be doing a lot of highway riding/touring Windshield Naked New Generation Sport for motorcycle Honda CB300F 2018 - Motoplastic PUIG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a few rides but not much choice IMO. Also there are some cops that straight up hate bikers (sometime for good reason since there are people that speed up and down the Sea to Sky highway and treat it like it's MotoGP) so don't speed or you'll get the flatbed.

Anyways two rides that I can think of:

Highway 99 up to Whistler > Pemby > Lillooet > Kamloops then back down is a nice multi day ride.

You can also go up highway 1 to Spences Bridge.

There's also Highway 3 (Crowsnest Highway) that is very nice. My ex did that trip with her parents and she was on a Ninja 250 so the 300 is plenty fine power wise (not great since you have the naked version but it'll work). If you can swap motorcycles with your husband every so often it'll make it much more enjoyable of a ride since you just get beat up on the small bike.

Also highly recommended to get an aftermarket wind screen like a Puig if you're going to be doing a lot of highway riding/touring Windshield Naked New Generation Sport for motorcycle Honda CB300F 2018 - Motoplastic PUIG.

I totally forgot we also went to Whistler last winter. The road to there was long so I can see how it can turn into a fun couple days riding trip!

Thank you for the recommendations! We will be sure to check those roads out once I'm ready to bike the roads in Canada.

Yeah right now thinking about it I am nervous about even riding his gxsr cause of the power and sitting position but I'm sure by then hopefully I wont be so nervous. Time will tell!

Luckily we bought the cbf from a guy who put a nice wind screen on there that does help okay from what my husband tells me.

Thanks again for the advice! :)
I'll try to post on here whenever I get the chance to visit Canada again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah right now thinking about it I am nervous about even riding his gxsr cause of the power and sitting position but I'm sure by then hopefully I wont be so nervous. Time will tell!

Luckily we bought the cbf from a guy who put a nice wind screen on there that does help okay from what my husband tells me.

Thanks again for the advice! :)
I'll try to post on here whenever I get the chance to visit Canada again!
Actually the GSXR is probably not better for doing a long tour on compared to your CB300 since it's more racy and "forward leaning" compared to the more "standard" riding position that the CB300F has (CBR and CB have the same geometry and riding position). If your husband had something like an SV650, Katana, or Bandit then it would be a different story.

When my ex did her long road trip, she was on a Ninja 250, her mom an F650GS and her dad a GSX650F (essentially a Bandit) and what they did was rotate bikes every so often along with taking breaks to see the sights, fill gas, and look at other points of interest.

I do the Vancouver to Whistler trip on my CBR or my car on a regular basis in the summer for mountain biking or chilling at a buddy's place and at no point when I'm doing those trips do I feel like I'm underpowered on the CBR. I also highly recommend the 15 tooth front sprocket mod to make the bike less buzzy when you're at highway speeds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually the GSXR is probably not better for doing a long tour on compared to your CB300 since it's more racy and "forward leaning" compared to the more "standard" riding position that the CB300F has (CBR and CB have the same geometry and riding position). If your husband had something like an SV650, Katana, or Bandit then it would be a different story.

When my ex did her long road trip, she was on a Ninja 250, her mom an F650GS and her dad a GSX650F (essentially a Bandit) and what they did was rotate bikes every so often along with taking breaks to see the sights, fill gas, and look at other points of interest.

I do the Vancouver to Whistler trip on my CBR or my car on a regular basis in the summer for mountain biking or chilling at a buddy's place and at no point when I'm doing those trips do I feel like I'm underpowered on the CBR. I also highly recommend the 15 tooth front sprocket mod to make the bike less buzzy when you're at highway speeds.

Oh I see what you mean, whenever I would ride passenger with him on his bike and we would do a long trip I could tell he was getting cramped up and tired after a while of riding but at least his stamina is a million times better than mine since I'm always the one to ask for a lot of breaks just by being a passenger on his bike. We still have the gs850 (the bike i dropped :()and once its repaired we might just take that with us instead of the gxsr :)

Are there any cons to having the 15 tooth front sprocket mod for the cb300f?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome to the forums and enjoy the new 300!

I absolutely have to ride along the Pacific Coast someday... Bucket list-type experience for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh I see what you mean, whenever I would ride passenger with him on his bike and we would do a long trip I could tell he was getting cramped up and tired after a while of riding but at least his stamina is a million times better than mine since I'm always the one to ask for a lot of breaks just by being a passenger on his bike. We still have the gs850 (the bike i dropped :()and once its repaired we might just take that with us instead of the gxsr :)

Are there any cons to having the 15 tooth front sprocket mod for the cb300f?
It's not the end all be all but geometry does make a difference. I don't know how well people here know road cycling but while they look the same there are minute differences between; race bikes, aero bikes, and endurance bikes. Taking that to motorcycles would be like supersports/rep racers, standard/sport bikes, and sport touring motorcycles. All may look the same but there's minute differences that make them slightly better for one activity over another.

In general the more forward leaning and aggressive the head tube (rake) of your bike is the more "twitchy" it will be (ie. respond to inputs) in addition to not being super comfy on long rides due to the body positioning. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum you have long and slack bikes like the Shadow and Gold Wing where you're more leaned back and it's like you're sitting on a comfy couch.

As for the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, basically it doesn't "pick up" as fast off the line (after a year with it I hardly notice it at all and 3 years later it's just normal for me). However when you're in 6th gear cruising on the highway with the +1 (15 tooth) your rpm's will be lower compared to the stock 14 tooth and it'll be less "buzzy" assuming you're going the same speed. Also no you don't "lose torque" going bigger in the front (or smaller in the rear), that's something that someone made up with an incomplete understanding of how physics works (the engine still generates the same amount of torque but because of the gearing it doesn't accelerate as fast). I wouldn't go smaller on the front because of how the chain wrap is tighter it wears out the chain faster, also it will lower your top speed and you'll bang through your gears faster and be in a higher engine RPM for the same speed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's not the end all be all but geometry does make a difference. I don't know how well people here know road cycling but while they look the same there are minute differences between; race bikes, aero bikes, and endurance bikes. Taking that to motorcycles would be like supersports/rep racers, standard/sport bikes, and sport touring motorcycles. All may look the same but there's minute differences that make them slightly better for one activity over another.

In general the more forward leaning and aggressive the head tube (rake) of your bike is the more "twitchy" it will be (ie. respond to inputs) in addition to not being super comfy on long rides due to the body positioning. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum you have long and slack bikes like the Shadow and Gold Wing where you're more leaned back and it's like you're sitting on a comfy couch.

As for the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, basically it doesn't "pick up" as fast off the line (after a year with it I hardly notice it at all and 3 years later it's just normal for me). However when you're in 6th gear cruising on the highway with the +1 (15 tooth) your rpm's will be lower compared to the stock 14 tooth and it'll be less "buzzy" assuming you're going the same speed. Also no you don't "lose torque" going bigger in the front (or smaller in the rear), that's something that someone made up with an incomplete understanding of how physics works (the engine still generates the same amount of torque but because of the gearing it doesn't accelerate as fast). I wouldn't go smaller on the front because of how the chain wrap is tighter it wears out the chain faster, also it will lower your top speed and you'll bang through your gears faster and be in a higher engine RPM for the same speed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I find that with a 15T on the front the bike is so much more pleasant to ride. When you take off, especially if turning at the same time, you are able to get moving comfortably before changing gear whereas with the 14T you seem to be changing up before you have time to settle. Much more controllable on roundabouts etc. The lower revs for a given speed make for a more pleasant ride.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I find that with a 15T on the front the bike is so much more pleasant to ride. When you take off, especially if turning at the same time, you are able to get moving comfortably before changing gear whereas with the 14T you seem to be changing up before you have time to settle. Much more controllable on roundabouts etc. The lower revs for a given speed make for a more pleasant ride.
+1 to all of that. The more user friendly 1st gear take-offs were a nice by product of the sprocket change.
I couldn't believe how low geared the bike was when i first got it, esp for a single cylinder engine with more torque lower down the rev range. This gives the engine the ability to comfortably pull taller gearing at highway cruising speeds. With gearing my bike up by 13% (+1 front, -2 rear) I managed to lower my 60MPH cruising revs to 5,500rpm. Much more relaxed and better fuel economy. Also, when your running a reasonably loud slip on you dont want to be listening to the bike revving it's head off in your right ear constantly when your on a long ride or tour.
This mod wont be for everyone though, depends what sort of riding you mainly do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

oh okay I see what you mean and it makes a lot more sense. He mentioned that he plans to get a dual sport motorcycle in the near future so that might be when we decide to go on long routes.

Oh! that sounds like a good bonus, anything to help with a better ride! Right now I am still in parking lots learning to shift well enough to even start getting onto the road (and getting used to not being nervous) but once I do get on the road I plan to start modifying my cbf and I'll keep the 15 tooth in mind as one of my first changes. :)
Thanks again for the helpful tips!

·
Registered
93 Posts
oh okay I see what you mean and it makes a lot more sense. He mentioned that he plans to get a dual sport motorcycle in the near future so that might be when we decide to go on long routes.

Oh! that sounds like a good bonus, anything to help with a better ride! Right now I am still in parking lots learning to shift well enough to even start getting onto the road (and getting used to not being nervous) but once I do get on the road I plan to start modifying my cbf and I'll keep the 15 tooth in mind as one of my first changes. :)
Thanks again for the helpful tips!
Well.... I guess dual sports are cool. Although arguably they might be worse than the GSXR750 for long distance touring, that is unless you're talking about the likes of a DR650, XR650, or KLR650.

Also the CRF450L can actually be made into a pretty capable adv touring rig (and I guess if you want to go crazier, the WR450F or RMX450Z as well).

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
7 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I have a 2017 CB300F that my wife also rides a bit. Your intro made me smile. I initially learned to ride at 18 - 19 by buying a used Yamaha XS-650 off an add in the newspaper. A friend rode it home for me, showed me how the shifter worked and that was all of my instruction. I honestly thought "I know how to ride a bicycle, I've ridden a moped, how different can it be?" (18 year old guys aren't known for thinking things out fully, but in fairness, the MSF BRC didn't exist back then.) Anyway, like your 850, it was way too big a bike to start out on. I didn't kill myself and sold it a year and a half later (under pressure from my father ;-). Fast forward 30 years, I decided to get back into riding and bought a CB300F. Great nimble fun bike. Enjoy the summer. Stay safe.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
7 Posts
BTW - Somewhat off topic, but if you don't already own some get yourself some riding jeans or leggings. (They're Kevlar reinforced. Regular jeans will shred instantly in a slide.) My wife ended up going for the Oxford Super Leggings (smallest dress size). She added REV'IT! Seesmart Hip Protectors RV33, which are super thin and comfortable though only C1, and also swapped the stock knee pads with the Icon D3O Knee Pads at the recommendation of the Revzilla parts geek. The last part is not really necessary as the two are very similar, but the Icon's were only $25, are a bit better made, a bit more comfortable and don't have the ridges that the stock pads do so are less visible.

For the bike, a set of Shogun Frame Sliders Honda CB300F 2015-2018 - Black, SKU: 750-3129 is cheap insurance if (when) you every roll it off the kickstand or otherwise tip it over by accident (always parking in first gear minimizes the chance). If you have any trouble seeing behind you with the stock mirrors, a pair of BikeMaster Black Mirror Extensions 29-21103 makes a world of difference. Both items are inexpensive super easy to install (bolt-on).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts