Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I got some new tires today! Michelin Road 5s to replace my Dunlop Sportmax. Rear was already wore in the middle :( lol. The tires seem great but my acceleration seems to have slowed down? It almost feels as if the bike is now stock instead of set up with my EJK KN filter and slip on. (yes there was a noticeable difference! hahaha). The one thing they noted was that my chain was way tight so I guess they adjusted it accordingly. Could that adjustment and the new tires have anything to do with it? They recommended a tire pressure of 31F and 36R. I'm just not well versed in this subject and everywhere I search doesn't give me the answers I'm looking for. My guess would be more rolling resistance with new rubber? Give me your opinions! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
The rear tyre will be slightly heavier as it has a full compliment of rubber but not to the point of affecting performance I wouldnt have thought. Ditto the slacker chain. Too tight chain is a common mistake, chains prefer to run on the slack side and it reduces load on your bearings. The 36PSI in the rear sounds a lot for a 140 section rear tyre. I would have thought 32 to be ample. If you have any issues with a lack of grip then back it off.

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear tyre will be slightly heavier as it has a full compliment of rubber but not to the point of affecting performance I wouldnt have thought. Ditto the slacker chain. Too tight chain is a common mistake, chains prefer to run on the slack side and it reduces load on your bearings. The 36PSI in the rear sounds a lot for a 140 section rear tyre. I would have thought 32 to be ample. If you have any issues with a lack of grip then back it off.
Hmm. I'm not sure either. I'm going out for a good ride today. I also need to inspect whether or not the plugged my o2 back in or not just in case. (i have my doubts there). I'll look up the weight of the Sportmax and the Road 5. It could make a difference Idk. Thanks a lot man! If need be I'll attempt to compensate with my EJK and see what happens.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Pilot Road 5 tyres are designed for larger, heavier bikes, not 300s like the CBR. Pilot Street Radial are more suited to these bikes. I use them and find them excellent. For solo riding a pressure of 30/32 would be ample for the rear tyre.My 650 Deauville at 250 kilo only had 42 psi when two up with pillion and using Michelin Pilot Roads.. Honda know what they are doing with pressures and tyre sizes. Here in UK if you had an accident while using non standard pressures and tyre sizes the insurance companies would be quick to point out that these factors were to blame or added to the accident.

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pilot Road 5 tyres are designed for larger, heavier bikes, not 300s like the CBR. Pilot Street Radial are more suited to these bikes. I use them and find them excellent. For solo riding a pressure of 30/32 would be ample for the rear tyre.My 650 Deauville at 250 kilo only had 42 psi when two up with pillion and using Michelin Pilot Roads.. Honda know what they are doing with pressures and tyre sizes. Here in UK if you had an accident while using non standard pressures and tyre sizes the insurance companies would be quick to point out that these factors were to blame or added to the accident.
I looked at those as well and I personally wanted a more touring tire, not sure if the street radial is like the road 5 though. I just had the Sportmax go out so quick and that could be due to my inexperience as a rider as much as the softer center compound of that tire. This one was just recommended by their technician giving the type of riding I described to them and I figured I'd get the best mileage out of it. I'll be driving the bike quite often still as the weather here isn't cold or too cold yet and can try out different pressures. I'll definitely not go any higher that's for sure. I'll more than likely slide back down to see how everything does especially after a few more miles when I'm confident they are good to push a little bit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've had the Pilot Streets on for 7200 miles front and 4800 miles rear. There is plenty of tread left and I find the handling of them excellent. They would be ideal for touring. My pressures are 30 psi front and rear. I'm 150 lbs.

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the Pilot Streets on for 7200 miles front and 4800 miles rear. There is plenty of tread left and I find the handling of them excellent. They would be ideal for touring. My pressures are 30 psi front and rear. I'm 150 lbs.
After these I'll definitely look into other options. At that point will be dependent on my wife who will own the bike then ;) Given that I'm 190 on a bad day I can't see how 31-36 would be a bad pressure? I rode like that pretty rough yesterday and I had no issues. maybe I'll drop the rear to 33/34 and see what happens then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts