Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world. I have a couple questions for the experienced riders out there or anyone that wants to offer tips. For starters I have literally about 1 hour on anything with 2 wheels and a motor and that was an old scooter. I do have a small amount of time with a 4 wheeler with a clutch lever so I'm familiar with using a hand operated clutch and very familiar with a manual in a car if that helps.

Here are my plans for years to come. My plans are to eventually work my way up to a 1000 sport bike once I feel my experience level is there. I'm hoping to start with a 300f since it's inexpensive. I plan to use it as a gas getter back and forth from work. (Hopes are that the gas savings alone will pay the note and Insurance. My daily is a 07 toyota tundra with a 5.7 v8 so city mpg is 13 at best lmao). I'm hoping to use this as my starter bike since I feel the 300 has enough power to fulfill my needs hopefully, (6'3 265lb hoping to go on a diet soon and drop some.weight lmao), but not so much power I get myself in trouble as a new rider, ie end up acidentally wheeling or giving it too much gas in a turn. I am open to other bikes but I want to 1 stick with honda and 2 stick to the sport bike lines. My original plan was to start with the 500 but since the 300 came out I think that would work for me. As I stated after I get my experience I want to then move to a 600 then a 1000.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I too had the intention of moving up to a supersport (still do), but I'm not in a hurry since this bike is more than enough for me at this stage.

Whatever bike you opt for, I would go into the decision with the mindset of not getting out in a hurry. You want to enjoy riding while learning at a comfortable pace (both aspects work together). I wouldn't go into it looking for when you're going to "get bored". Let it come naturally, and choose the bike which you are going to enjoy and allow to stick around you for a good while.

Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Happy to help if I can, but what are your questions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Basically they were hidden in my original post. Do you think the 300 will be too small for the size i am (both physical size of the bike and my weight for the power) and would it be a good starter bike.

Main reason I'm considering the 300 is the mpgs. I plan to start off slow. I'm treating this like a high horsepower car. You can't just hop in oneday and expect be able to harness all that muscle right away. You have to learn it I probably won't be moving up in bikes for a while. As my plans are to buy a house first and get the 300 then for my new commute to work since it will be about 25 miles 1 way. Keep the truck as a weekend fun vehicle/rainy day vehicle.

Kiwi I like the Ducatis especially with exhaust but I love my Hondas also. Off road 4 wheelers that's all my family every owned and the have been awesome so I'm going honda bike. Plus Hondas are a lot more affordable lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My advice to new/prospective riders who have any interest in bikes other than for commuting, especially those who acknowledge they expect to buy a bigger/faster bike when they have the experience, is to buy cheap. Chances are, if you are the aforementioned person, you will trade up within a year, hopefully to something of middleweight size rather than hypersports.......

Buying new means you'll be throwing money away on depreciation, which is steepest in the first and second years. Also, there's a good chance your first bike will be used for falling-off practice - an expensive way to learn on a new bike.

Of course 'cheap' is a relative measure. Maybe a new CBR300 represents pocket money to some riders, making my advice rather pointless, but to most of us, it's a good strategy.

Also, I hate to see shiny new bikes with battle scars - if you're going to see how far a bike will slide on it's side, please use a 'dunger' :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts