Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three weeks ago I took delivery of an 8 year old CBR300F with just over 9,000km on the clock. Its in very good condition with no modifications. But, unless I can sort out the comfort issues it may not last another 3 weeks.

I've been riding bikes for over 55 years and have owned more bikes than is reasonable. Most of them have been 650cc or less, so a small bike was not an issue. My other bike is a Kawi Versys 300. Obviously, I'm not as young as I used to be. Comfort is important! The reason for the "new" bike was that my previous other bike, CFMoto 650GT, although a nice bike was getting too heavy to move around. I was after lite.

Back to comfort - my back aches! Not had this sort of issue for over 35 years. Part of the problem is my body shape - short overall, but long torso and very short limbs. Two issues here: can't reach the ground on many bikes (CBR300F is OK) and can't reach the handle bars, hence I'm crouched over too much.
The roads where I live (mid north coast, NSW, Australia) have been absolutely destroyed in the past 3 years due to continual rain and flooding. Many are still closed and will probably remain that way for some years yet. Crappy roads definitely doesn't help.

Tomorrow I will purchase a set of bar risers and see if that helps. It's pretty much a standard mod I make to many bikes. Helps me sit up straighter so minimising shocks up the spine.

It's been interesting comparing the 300F to the 300 Versys. 300F is easier to ride due to better torque curve, but Versys is much smoother (300 twin). Getting the Versys moving off the mark on a steep incline is difficult. No torque at low revs and a very narrow take up on the clutch. 300F is easy peasy. Riding position on Versys is better (for me) but the seat is 'orrible. The 300F is not even in the same ball park when it comes to suspension. This is primarily due to the Versys having a lot more suspension. The Versys physically is a much bigger bike so can carry a shitload of luggage. But, it's tall - I can't reach the ground even after lowering it.

Decision, decisions. Will keep the 300F for a while and see if I can sort out the issues.

Get back to you later.

BruceC

· Registered
519 Posts
Welcome from UK. Like you, I didn't start riding seriously until 21 but that was 62 years ago. (I was too much into racing cycles before that). 5½ years ago I gave up my 650 Deauville due to the weight and got a 2016 CBR300R. Thought it would last me until I gave up but by end of 2021 the arthritis in my neck was making the ride painful after an hour or so. Up to then I found the CBR comfortable for a 5 hour non-stop ride. 14 months ago I got a CB300R instead as the more upright position made riding good. I'm hoping the CB300 will now see me until I decide to stop. The 300s are ideal for our winding roads here in North Wales. Best mod to both CBR and CB was fitting a 15T front sprocket.

· Super Moderator
428 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. However, I said I had been riding bikes for over 55 years. I didn't start riding until I was 21. Hence a bit older than 55.:)
Welcome Bruce. I did note Airheads slip up there but didnt want to be 'that guy' and pull him up. :giggle:
I hope to be still riding regularly at your age too.
Well there you go. See what old age does to you. Not only can I not hear well, but the mind's going too. No need to mention all the other parts that don't work designed.:whistle:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts