Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Hello from Sydney, Australia

Got myself a new (to me) 2016 CBR300R which has only done about 7000 kms. I decided to do a few track days this year and wanted to start on something light and small. This bike will predominantly be used as a track bike. It came with an aftermarket (unknown brand and relatively loud) silencer and I just got some Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 tyres installed.

The bike has been great, I just did 1800 kms the past weekend and it was mostly wet weather. While the stock tyres were all right in the wet, they were a bit sketchy and I was running out of tread, hence the upgrade to the Pirellis.

The plan is to upskill myself in track conditions. In terms of mods, I will do a few track days with the bike as it is, but will eventually upgrade the suspension and get some rearsets. If there are any other must do mods to improve the handling/performance, please let me know.

My other ride is a 2008 Street Triple which I will mainly use for commuting and longer rides.

Looking forward to learning a lot from this forum about this neat little bike. :)

Cheers
Kartik

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it going to be turned into a fully setup track only bike, or stay as a 2nd bike that can be tracked?
At the moment it'll be a 2nd bike that can be tracked. The registration runs out in September, and will not be renewed. From September, it would be a track only bike. At least that's the plan

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should setup the ignition to be a switch instead once it’s off the streets, it’s so nice.
Thanks mate, will definitely look into that once it is a dedicated track bike. Did an oil & filter change and installed GB Racing covers on the bike yesterday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice all around bike. i did the 15T front sprocket to help on the freeways.
we were in sugerloaf beach (or sugerloaf lighthouse) close to williams lake last january, most beautiful beach ever.
enjoy !

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
Have got my first ever track day on 2nd April. Definitely looking forward to that. Will post back after the event.
Hi, how'd you get on? Not many people track the CBR, mostly R3's and Ninja 300's out there, but I did a couple of track days on mine and had fun with it. Great way to learn track skills without being intimidated by a powerful engine that wants to break traction all the time and flick you over the high side lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, how'd you get on? Not many people track the CBR, mostly R3's and Ninja 300's out there, but I did a couple of track days on mine and had fun with it. Great way to learn track skills without being intimidated by a powerful engine that wants to break traction all the time and flick you over the high side lol.
Hey mate, it was a great day. Thanks for asking.

Yeah the cbr300r was the smallest bike out there apart from a couple of 2 stroke Aprillia RS125's. I had an absolutely amazing time and yes heaps of R3's at this track.

I loved it and there is so much room for improvement for me. Looking at some of my pics, I realised that I could lean a lot more. I was quite upright on some of the corners.

It also got confusing about which gear to stay on. If I stayed in second, I would hit the rev limiter quite early and if I was in third, then it takes some time for the revs to climb up and generate power. So still trying to find a balance there.

But overall an amazing day and I've booked my next track day for 17th May.

Also removed the passenger footpegs and installed a R & G exhaust hanger.

Some pics from the track day
IMG-20210406-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20210406-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20210406-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20210406-WA0016.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,414 Posts
Hey mate, it was a great day. Thanks for asking.

Yeah the cbr300r was the smallest bike out there apart from a couple of 2 stroke Aprillia RS125's. I had an absolutely amazing time and yes heaps of R3's at this track.

I loved it and there is so much room for improvement for me. Looking at some of my pics, I realised that I could lean a lot more. I was quite upright on some of the corners.

It also got confusing about which gear to stay on. If I stayed in second, I would hit the rev limiter quite early and if I was in third, then it takes some time for the revs to climb up and generate power. So still trying to find a balance there.

But overall an amazing day and I've booked my next track day for 17th May.

Also removed the passenger footpegs and installed a R & G exhaust hanger.

Some pics from the track day View attachment 34870 View attachment 34871 View attachment 34872 View attachment 34873
Nice one! You've booked again so that's a good sign . (y)Just curious, what track was this at?
Track photo's are generally quite revealing in that even though it felt like you really had it over at the time the photos show otherwise. It all comes together in time though, dont be in a rush to 'get your knee down' lol.
The main thing is just to enjoy yourself out there and gain speed at a pace comfortable to you. There will always be someone faster than yourself.
I distinctly remember my first track day on my old CBR250R. I came in after the first session where I felt I'd botched up pretty much every corner and thought to myself : hmmm, maybe this isnt for me? But by the last session of the day I had a huge grin on my mug and the seed had been well and truly sown. That was 7 years ago and now I'm riding at national level and loving it. Motorcycle racing is the biggest thing in my life these days. So you've been warned! 😄

Regarding the correct gear for corners: If you find in the future you are riding at this one track most of the time then think about getting some alternative rear sprockets so you can change your gearing to suit the track. There will always be compromises though, hard to get the gearing bang on for EVERY corner on the track.

Have fun out there. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one! You've booked again so that's a good sign . (y)Just curious, what track was this at?
Track photo's are generally quite revealing in that even though it felt like you really had it over at the time the photos show otherwise. It all comes together in time though, dont be in a rush to 'get your knee down' lol.
The main thing is just to enjoy yourself out there and gain speed at a pace comfortable to you. There will always be someone faster than yourself.
I distinctly remember my first track day on my old CBR250R. I came in after the first session where I felt I'd botched up pretty much every corner and thought to myself : hmmm, maybe this isnt for me? But by the last session of the day I had a huge grin on my mug and the seed had been well and truly sown. That was 7 years ago and now I'm riding at national level and loving it. Motorcycle racing is the biggest thing in my life these days. So you've been warned! 😄

Regarding the correct gear for corners: If you find in the future you are riding at this one track most of the time then think about getting some alternative rear sprockets so you can change your gearing to suit the track. There will always be compromises though, hard to get the gearing bang on for EVERY corner on the track.

Have fun out there. :)
This track is Luddenham Raceway - Luddenham Raceway – Outdoor Go Karting, Paintball and Track Days

Nah, not in any rush to get my knee down, I am going to take my time building my confidence and getting my techniques right. Eventually, I will be able to build up speed and be able to corner more accurately. I was very apprehensive during my first session and I was taking it really slow. Had a kid who lapped me twice, hahaha (but the kid was soon upgraded to one of the more experienced groups). But once the first session was done and I was able to catch my breath, I couldn't wait to go out again and was eagerly waiting for our group to be called.

It can get addictive very quickly, as soon as I got home, I booked my next track day:)

That is amazing that you are riding at the national level. Kudos to you mate, well done!

Yeah have been thinking about getting an alternative rear sprocket, but I will go again to the track without any other changes and will see how I go. Maybe I will change the sprockets when I book the next one in June ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts