Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 64 and I've been riding bikes for 50 years. Hondas, Yamahas, Harleys, Victorys.
Never had anything like a CBR before.
Bought a 2015 over the weekend with known issues. Well, kinda.
I knew it had issues I'm just not sure what they are.
Here's the run down. The owner had it for a couple of years and recently it died on the interstate. He hauled it home and after fiddling with it decided to sell it.
His craigslist ad went something like this. "It cranks and runs but when I try to ride it, it stops"
Curiosity had me calling to get the full story. Everything he told me sounded electrical. He felt strongly it was engine related.
No bad noises. Cranked every time when cold with a push of the starter button and after a short period of time (a few seconds to at most 2 minutes) it shut off as if you had turned the key.
Then it wouldn't turn over anymore, like it was seized. Let it cool off and it would crank again, no problem.
I bought it and got it home. The next day I put a battery charger on it and noticed the battery was showing 60% charge. I hit with 25 amps for a little while and it showed 100%.
Cranked right up and as long as I had the charger connected it idled. I turned it off after 10 minutes.
Had the battery tested, bad, replaced.
Changed the oil and yes there is shiny stuff in what drained out.
Ran it around the neighborhood, took it out for about a 2 mile run, gently. Valves (I think) are really noisy.
Any input on the next step would be greatly appreciated.
I'm an average shade tree mechanic and do most of my own repairs on cars but have never done bike work.
Thanks!
Max

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Hi, I'd get the valve clearances adjusted and see how noisy it is after that. Get a shop to do it (preferably Honda dealer) as they are bucket and shim, not the easy screw and locknut type. Get spark plug changed at same time cos it's a pain to get at.. Check how clean air filter is. Do you know if it's had the crank recall done? This could be a biggy, esp since you've seen shiny stuff in oil. There's a site you put your VIN in to check or ring your local honda dealer with your VIN handy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kiwi's capable of helping with that site. But since he lives in the more prosperous part of the world, can't access the Honda website you need here in the US. It's below. It sounds like you've either made a good score, or you're about to find out how good a shade tree mechanic you are. Either way, it's all good and entertaining. :whistle:

Almost forgot. There's an awesome series of post available on this Forum, detailing and videoing the complete process of: removal, disassembly, and reassembly of a 300's engine. Easy to follow.. really 1st quality production. If you decide you need it, give out a shout. One of us will help find it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer confirmed it's considered a safety recall and they never expire. But if you mean overdue in that waiting to long might damage internal parts, it's overdue!
It runs and drives, I just don't like the sounds coming from it. It'll stay parked until I trailer it to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Yes I meant potentially it may already be worn. Good idea to leave parked up for now. We did have a few members on here with catastrophic failures.

Get the Honda shop to check your valve clearances while they have your bike for the recall job. Will save you a bunch of cash. My shop did it for free which was great as I was nearing the 24,000km check. As a matter of interest they were all within spec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts