Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get into riding. I will take the MSF before buying a bike, if the snow ever melts. I have three questions. First, will it be hard for me to learn how to ride? Some background, if any of this matters. I have ridden bicycles and scooters for many years. I also can drive a stick shift car, so I am at least familiar with the concept of a clutch. Any other ways to practice with a bike beyond the MSF class, before buying one?

Second question. What first bike should I buy? The type of riding I would do is mostly back roads and around town. Typically 2 hour or less on weekend days and in the evenings during the week (when it is light out in the summer).

These are the bikes that were on my initial list: Honda CBR300R, Yamaha R3, and Kawasaki Ninja 300. I have eliminated the Ninja, even though it is supposed to have a smooth clutch and offers ABS. I do not like the styling as much and I am not sure the quality is as good as the other two bikes on my list.
The CBR is my front runner, because I have always liked Hondas for their styling, reliability, etc. and the CBR 250/300 seems to be recommended by a lot of folks as a great bike to start with. So my question is the following, should I still considered the R3? I have not seen one in person yet, from the pictures I have seen I still like the looks of the CBR better. But I do not want to base my purchase solely on looks. It is also not clear when the R3 will be available, but I will not be buying a bike until May based on the weather where I live. Thoughts?

Last question, should I get ABS if I get the CBR300R? I will pay more if folks think it is helpful and worth it. I want all the safety I can get. Thoughts? Appreciate your guidance and help. Hope I am asking the right questions.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Welcome...

For someone just starting out, I'd recommend either the CBR250R, CBR300R, or the CB300F. And for new motorcycle riders, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for an ABS version. There are still a few new 2012 & 2013 CBR250R's available, although I'm not sure if there are any ABS versions still in dealer inventories.

More and more used CBR250R's (including ABS versions) are becoming available at attractive prices, so that's another option to consider.

The Yamaha R3 looks like a pretty nice bike, but it won't be available in an ABS version in the U.S., it least for the 2015 model year.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome, man.
Might as well stick with what your screen name resembles, right? :)

In all seriousness, a few of us on here, including Fanatic & myself, started from scratch, just as your explained, with the same questions & the same concerns. We had the same choices of bikes too (the R3 was barely a mention at that time tho & still wont hit dealer floors till March '15ometime I believe). I mainly based my purchase on 3 things; price, looks, and reliability. I own a Honda Accord and love it, so when I made my bike purchase, I painted all my garage walls red with Honda wing logos and got a tattoo... im kidding, I didn't do any of that...but I did get the 300R in red and I love it.

The MSF course is an amazing experience and you will learn all that you need to in order to be comfortable with first time riding. They give tons of information in a short period of time but somehow its so easy to let it soak all in. This course will familiarize you with the actions of throttle, clutch, brake and the coordination it takes. You'll get it...Its a great time, for sure, so its a good thing you plan on taking it. Its the first step into the two-wheeled brotherhood.

Keep us all posted on what you end up with, even if it is a YamahaR3. Plenty of us want to know how that things goes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to MotoMike, jmerod58, Gdaddy197 for your replies. I will keep you guys posted and look for advice as well. It sounds like I am going down the right path. I am sure I will end up getting the 300R as I went and saw one in person yesterday, in a word SWEET!
At the end of the day I really do like everything about it, which I can rarely say about anything. Plus with Honda I know I am getting something well built and reliability. The only thing that I saw missing that would be a nice to have is a gear indicator on the dash. For a bike that is somewhat targeted at new riders not sure why they did not include that, but I am sure after a couple of weeks owning the bike I will not miss it. Thanks again. Any other advice is welcome.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the forum dude.

The CBR300 should be a good beginning bike. Enough power to have fun, but nothing too crazy for a beginner. Honda is really good quality. I would always recommend the ABS. You might not need it very often, but when you do you will be happy that you have it?

All the best!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks to MotoMike, jmerod58, Gdaddy197 for your replies...The only thing that I saw missing that would be a nice to have is a gear indicator on the dash. For a bike that is somewhat targeted at new riders not sure why they did not include that, but I am sure after a couple of weeks owning the bike I will not miss it.
We briefly discuss the gear indicator dash thing here in THIS thread, but yeah, you wont miss it after riding the first few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Welcome to the club :D
Mike, did you not see that you had already posted a 'welcome' in this thread? I normally wouldn't say anything and just delete the duplicate post, but I've noticed that you've done this several times now in various New Member Introduction threads... are you just not reading the previous posts before submitting a new post?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Something about this bike that captured me, just like it is doing with you, OP. I knew I had to have it after a 30 minute test ride and after going over all of the benefits it offers for the sub $5k price I received. 2k miles later, I still feel the same way.

Good luck with making the call.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts