Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my CBR 300RA (ABS)... I'm a new rider and just literally passed the MSF class last week LOL! I don't have the bike yet cuz I had to get it lowered so it won't be ready til Saturday. I wanted to get it towed to my house cuz I'm not comfy riding just yet but towing is going to cost me an arm and a leg! Any suggestions how I can take it home for a cheap price? I live like about 40miles from the dealership. I have AAA but they said my RV membership is only for emergencies... So, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
You'd be hard pressed to find a more user friendly first bike to ride home from a dealer. Just pick your traffic time well and dont rush things. You've gotta get on that saddle sooner or later!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just bought my CBR 300RA (ABS)... I wanted to get it towed to my house cuz I'm not comfy riding just yet but towing is going to cost me an arm and a leg
yep, gotta mount that baby sooner or later ;)
But I felt the same way when I got mine. Conveniently the dealership I got mine from delivered the bike no charge to my driveway. Otherwise, find someone to help you out with a truck and load it up in the bed. You would need a ramp, but ill bet the dealership would ramp it up there for you if you asked; I mean, you did just buy a brand new 2015 Honda CBR!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
For sure, ask your dealer for some assistance on delivery... Or else maybe find a good friend to ride it back for you in exchange for some lunch or beer.

I can relate though. I was very nervous and was in pretty much the same position since I had completed my MSF course a week prior to my purchase as well. I rode my bike back by myself, and yes, I was greatly nervous too.

It was a 25 minute journey for me, and I only took smaller city streets with speed limits of no more than 40 - 45 mph. I always stayed in the right lane (slowest lane), and I tried my best to not let the cars pressure or distract my mind. Also, I avoided traffic time. My overall speeds probably averaged between 20 - 30 mph since that's the most I felt comfortable with. Worked out well and made it in one piece, thankfully.

FYI, before departing, I took some practice laps around the dealer's parking lot to get warmed up and build some confidence.

With this being said, I agree that this bike's first impressions aren't intimidating like other bigger and bulkier bikes can be for a new rider (like you and I). Just dial your inputs back, and be aware of everything happening around you. Take everything slowly, it's okay.

If you still don't feel comfortable, don't force or pressure this on yourself. Take your very own time because you are the determining factor.

Good luck, and let us know how everything goes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For sure, ask your dealer for some assistance on delivery... Or else maybe find a good friend to ride it back for you in exchange for some lunch or beer.

I can relate though. I was very nervous and was in pretty much the same position since I had completed my MSF course a week prior to my purchase as well. I rode my bike back by myself, and yes, I was greatly nervous too.

It was a 25 minute journey for me, and I only took smaller city streets with speed limits of no more than 40 - 45 mph. I always stayed on the right lane (slowest lane), and I tried my best to not let the cars pressure or distract my mind. Also, I avoided traffic time. My overall speeds probably averaged between 20 - 30 mph since that's the most I felt comfortable with. Worked out well and made it in one piece, thankfully.

FYI, before departing, I took some practice laps around the dealer's parking lot to get warmed up and build some confidence.

With this being said, I agree that this bike's first impressions aren't intimidating like other bigger and bulkier bikes can be for a new rider (like you and I). Just dial your inputs back, and be aware of everything happening around you. Take everything slowly, it's okay.

If you still don't feel comfortable, don't force or pressure this on you. Take your very own time because you are the determining factor.

Good luck, and let us know how everything goes.
Fantastic fanatic advice!

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can do it! Plan smart, ride smart and you'll have her home in no time. Guaranteed you'll grin ear to ear the rest of the day!!!

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you guys! No friends that ride... They are all girlie and what not haha! I literally have a day to figure it out :( I called the Honda and they were charging me $130 and that's the cheapest! Ughhh! I don't think I'm comfy enough to ride it since the bikes at the MSF is different from my bike... I have a feeling I'm gonna end up eating the towing fee or lie to AAA that my bike has an issue and cant ride it hehe! I'll keep you guys posted!

Thank you for the advice guys!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thank you guys! No friends that ride... They are all girlie and what not haha! I literally have a day to figure it out :( I called the Honda and they were charging me $130 and that's the cheapest! Ughhh! I don't think I'm comfy enough to ride it since the bikes at the MSF is different from my bike... I have a feeling I'm gonna end up eating the towing fee or lie to AAA that my bike has an issue and cant ride it hehe! I'll keep you guys posted!

Thank you for the advice guys!
Take this with a grain of salt, but you don't have to lie to AAA. Try riding your bike out, and if you truly can't continue the journey, then pull over and make the call. Let them know that you can't make it home on your bike and need the assistance (don't forget to say "please"). The less you say, the better. Remember key terms: Stuck, Need Help, and I Don't Know. ;)

Reactions: Cropper

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Last I checked a standard AAA fee doesn't include motorcycles. Just stay on slow familiar streets and take it easy. After those 40 miles I'll wager that you'll want to just keep going.
+1.

Then you'll start building up your confidence, and riding the bike will start to feel like the most awesome drug injected into your system... :cool: ... That is until you bog down the bike at the next signal. :p Just start her back up and keep going!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I always get delivery included in the negotiations to buy the bike when I don't ride it home. Lots of other items are also negotiable besides price. Things like the first service, a riding jacket, helmet, oil filters...whatever you need and want. Even an extended warranty can be thrown into the deal. Otherwise, after you pay for it, they then try and sell you all that stuff anyway. Likely you could have got a free delivery thrown into the deal. Not now you can't. Remember that next bike you buy. Motorcycles are sold like cars...that is, if you are not careful you can overpay by hundreds of dollars...thousands on more expensive motorcycles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello guys! I'm back! Hehe! My baby made it home in 1 one piece hehe! My coworker helped me and I'm glad I didn't ride it cuz I dropped her the first ride :( but very tiny scratch! I was practicing at the storage place by my house and the ground is not flat... And with a very tight space but I'm alive with a couple of bruises! Lol! That fall scared the crap out of me and I didn't want to ride in the street after that but my bf was very supportive and helpful. So in other words, I took a deep breath and rode off the storage place. I'm glad I did cuz 4hrs went buy I didn't even notice hehe! It was a lot of fun!

A lot of head turns when I was riding... Like what is that little person doing riding a motorcycle LOL! Anyhoo, I attached a picture of me and my BF :) thank you again guys for all the advice! You guys are awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Looks great, glad you're ok.
Nice bikes; good choice on the red...I'm biased tho haha. And that's a nice Kawasaki your man has too.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Glad you went with your inner feeling because no one knows you better than yourself. You handled it very well.

Best thing of all, you got your first scratch out of the way. Now for riding to become second nature to you, and it looks like you already have a great start on that aspect!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts