Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confused. I purchased a brand new 250 Hawk in '62. I remember it being by far the most superior 250 bike (never mind the 305's). So with the nostalgia and plans to get a 300F next month, I checked out the Dream's spec's. I think I read similar weight, similar HP, similar top speed - all at less RPM. As good as my carbureted twin was, I am hoping for a bit more from the F in the power category. New bike handling is obviously going to be superior but were Honda's original "little" sports bikes really that potent? Not that it changes my plans but I wish there were test rides now like we enjoyed back when. I don't want that Duke 390 looking too attractive on the HP measure. Anyone in the Phoenix area have a CB300 (either kind) that they would show me? All I can easily find are sitting silent at a Ride Now dealer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't forget. Emission standards are MUCH different these days. Totally different engines. And as much as the CB300f is an excellent motorcycle, and a lot of fun, it is basically the least powerful 300 out there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
sorry can't help you with the test ride but I can make some comments

the cb300f it is what it is a 300cc single so it is very light weight & handling is a B+ out of the box

this little bike will surprise you coming out of the hole now so good low end pull, however the top end is average, if you want more top end get a twin but it will weight more & cost more, first gear is a little snatchy in it's stock gearing form

the dash on the cb300f is all digital, the only thing it lacks is a shift counter unlike all the other 300 twins which have a shift counter

gas mileage being a single is superior & is advertised in the low 70s's but I am seeing low 80's, I am seeing the range as just over max 200 miles on a tank, a twin will weigh more & mpg will drop some, fueling is a rare event on the cb300f

it's a pretty simple very reliable bike, for 2015 in the usa the cb300f is priced to sell, with no abs & good clearance the bike can stand some light duty off road use fire or logging roads etc, next year with abs the price will be more in line with the other 300 twins & will Honda stay with a single or go to a twin which will also impact the price?

ride safe

Reactions: scarabjim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another thing to remember is how the power is measured.

In the olden days it was measured at the crank with no accessories,i.e., just the motor.

Now it's measured at the the wheel. ie, what hits the road.

In the automotive world, you could lose 15% just by how it's measured.

There are also higher emissions standards today.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I am so confused. I purchased a brand new 250 Hawk in '62. I remember it being by far the most superior 250 bike (never mind the 305's). So with the nostalgia and plans to get a 300F next month, I checked out the Dream's spec's. I think I read similar weight, similar HP, similar top speed - all at less RPM. As good as my carbureted twin was, I am hoping for a bit more from the F in the power category. New bike handling is obviously going to be superior but were Honda's original "little" sports bikes really that potent? Not that it changes my plans but I wish there were test rides now like we enjoyed back when. I don't want that Duke 390 looking too attractive on the HP measure. Anyone in the Phoenix area have a CB300 (either kind) that they would show me? All I can easily find are sitting silent at a Ride Now dealer.
Your old 1962 Honda Hawk would seem like an vintage antique* in every respect as compared to the 2015 CB300F... an awful lot has changed in the world of motorcycles over the past 53 years. :)

* No doubt a very cool vintage antique, and likely worth a tidy sum today.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
And don't forget..the new 300 is liquid cooled so the engine will last a long time compared to an air cooled engine and will have far better tires/suspension too.

Also one more thing...the cost of a new 300 I'll bet is cheaper than the cost (in todays money converted) to the cost of your 250 Hawk in 1962.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't forget. Emission standards are MUCH different these days. Totally different engines. And as much as the CB300f is an excellent motorcycle, and a lot of fun, it is basically the least powerful 300 out there.
Isn't it also the most fuel efficient? Not sure why that's low on the list of considerations. AFAIK, it's the most fuel efficient in its class.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Isn't it also the most fuel efficient? Not sure why that's low on the list of considerations. AFAIK, it's the most fuel efficient in its class.
I don't think anyone looks at fuel economy to be 'low on the list of considerations', but rather in this thread the OP was mainly comparing the engine power characteristics/spec's of his old Honda Hawk to that of the CB300F.

That these bikes from Honda have great fuel economy is pretty much a foregone conclusion. However, great fuel economy may not necessarily be a main factor for a lot of people when it comes to making a buying decision.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A funny side-note on my '62 Honda. My only experience with a 250cc 4S was my BSA-powered trials bike before moving from England to Kansas. I was told the Honda would have at least twice the HP but when I took delivery, it seemed anemic. So being high on expectations and low on non-Brit bike experience, I took it back to the dealer. He was puzzled at first but soon figured out my problem. The tachometer was the learning tool. I had been riding and shifting by engine sound and was calibrated to the low revs, big torque of the 50's bikes. Of course the Honda had twice the power but I was going to have to use twice the rev's. That bike and I got along famously for the next 10 years, taking me on several cross-country trips and many daily commutes. It ended our relationship as modified into my own version of a dirt bike - solo seat, trials tires, big sprocket, high pipes, and my own stupid kluge of a skid plate. I actually rode it in an observed trial and generated controversy because I could electric start it while still rolling if I let it "chuff-out". One of my friends loved it so much that I was talked into selling to him. A brand new Montesa Cota pushed me along in the decision. If only we had crystal balls to see what we were losing. As my stupid change-bikes behavior progressed and for example, I sold my Ariel Square 4 for 45 bucks (with a side car) and saw one later at auction for 40 K. Memories are great and I can't wait to generate new ones with my upcoming F. Oh, and have I learned anything? Nope; I am still in the buy high, sell low habit and we are talking about 60-odd bikes over the years.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
What a great story..thank you very much. Way back in 1983 I sold my 1st car..a 1963 Ford Fairlane with a trunk full of parts for $600. The car ran well and did not burn oil. Today I bet that car is worth $6k to $7k...oh well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mpg is not a deal breaker for me

I sold a Suzuki single 250 that was advertised at 80mpg however I never saw 70mpg, but hey 67mpg is outstanding anyway

along comes the Honda cb300f advertised with 71mpg & I have never seen < 80mpg, then you can get mpg on the tank & do the math against tank capacity with numbers in mid 200's or another way to look at this is the range between fueling, since I ride 80% outside of town it can sometimes be a ways before I hit a gas station

so it is not a deal breaker but when you deliver +1 on any specification the public generally will notice, & I must say the mpg on these Honda bikes is impressive

ride safe

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
This is not probably newest technology but this is the new swing arm that is going around in Thailand for 250's and 300's
That is actually just a silver colored plastic cover made to fit over the stock swing arm. If you look closely at the axle adjuster, you can see the original box steel swing arm underneath the cover... it's purely cosmetic.

They also make silver plastic covers that go over the section of frame above the foot pegs, so as to give it the appearance of a beefy aluminum box section frame. These covers may fool the casual observer, but anyone who knows bikes will see them for what they are... fake cosmetic farkles.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I would love an aftermarket aluminium swing arm for my 300R but.... I would not put one of those el cheapo plastic covers on for all the tea in China.
That really is so bad. :laugh:

Reactions: MotoMike

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I would love an aftermarket aluminium swing arm for my 300R but.... I would not put one of those el cheapo plastic covers on for all the tea in China.
That really is so bad. :laugh:
Which ironically is where most of the silly motorcycle farkles are being made.

"Why you no like swing arm cover?. Swing arm cover make CBR look like MotoGP racer..."

Reactions: kiwi rider
1 - 18 of 18 Posts