Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Have decided to get a bike as sick of a 1.5hr bus commute each day and have colleagues commute further than me on 250's in around 30 mins! I have no motorcycle experience except being on a scooter for 6 months doing a 5km trip to a bus station.
Anyway, I took my basic skills handling course before the holidays and passed so only have my theory to do next week and should be set.

So my question is, as I have no experience riding a bike on the road (scooter excepted) do you think its wise getting straight on a bike like this (test ride first)? I'm comfortable with the clutch etc as no had no issues with that and am comfortable on the road, just wondering how many of you have been like me thats all.

Live on the North Shore of Auckland, New Zealand fwiw.

Thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The only experience I had was driving cars with a manual transmission and riding bicycles... And I did okay catching on.

Just start out very slowly and be cautious... This is always a wise idea.

Go for the test ride as you mentioned, and see what you personally think as well.
@kiwi rider is another fellow member from NZ... Should chime in shortly for his feedback to you. ;)

Reactions: Puk

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
G'day from the South Island!
Yep, good choice of first bike, low seat, user-friendly power delivery and sweet handling.
Like Fanatic said, the test ride will help you decide if this is the bike for you. You've got the throttle/clutch co-ordination sorted already so you should be sweet.
Luckily for you most of the dealers have dropped the price by $500 since release so you should be able to pick one up for $7k in AKL, dont pay any more.
You have a choice of the naked 'F' model or the faired 'R' model, but u prob already know that.
Ideal commuter, I've seen up to 36km/l on mine once when I slapped a restraining order on my right wrist!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G'day from the South Island!
Yep, good choice of first bike, low seat, user-friendly power delivery and sweet handling.
Like Fanatic said, the test ride will help you decide if this is the bike for you. You've got the throttle/clutch co-ordination sorted already so you should be sweet.
Luckily for you most of the dealers have dropped the price by $500 since release so you should be able to pick one up for $7k in AKL, dont pay any more.
You have a choice of the naked 'F' model or the faired 'R' model, but u prob already know that.
Ideal commuter, I've seen up to 36km/l on mine once when I slapped a restraining order on my right wrist!

Thanks both!

Yeah, although I didnt get out of 1st on the basic skills course (stupid small carpark), I'm totally fine with that side of it as have driven manuals for years so didnt have a problem with that aspect. So was planning on booking it for a test drive first and hopefully not look like a total dunce leaving the lot :)
Had seen the price drop for sure, was one of the reason to kick me into gear, plus I have friend who works for Honda Motorcycles so might be able to do a deal there. And yes, will be getting the R model.

Really excited (unlike the wife and parents). Currently paying $55 per week to commute on the bus/scooter but have work collegues coming a lot further on CBR250R and Ninja 300s paying $45 per week all in and an hour each way less then me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was a beginner (still am actually) but this was my first bike and had no previous experience. I picked it right up and the 300R/F is a very friendly bike for people like us (the novice rider). Just keep safe and stay visible during your commutes!

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you've had scooter experience, really nothing better than the 300R as a first bike. I went from scooting to the MSF course to a 600 and I could hang with that. Now I'm way more confident on the 300 but it would've been the same had it been my first bike. Just keep it careful and be mindful of your own abilities.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i rode mopeds for years, but never anything with a manual gearbox. couldn't even drive a stick, or i guess, never really learned. my first bike was an old 74 honda cb125. it was a tiny little guy, but i got used to the shifting and riding in traffic, and about a month of owning it, i went out and bought a new cbr300r, and it was great. its a perfect bike to start on. not too heavy, not too powerful, but definitely powerful enough. first gear will take some getting used to. it's a bit jumpy, but you'll figure out the clutch/throttle control to smooth it out in no time.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think that this bike is a good one to start of with. I question people who start off with bikes that have a 700cc engines. You should be good as long as you are careful like anyone should when riding.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'd say, one who hesitates and is cautious about jumping onto a sub-300cc is a wise & safe man (or woman).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've done it! Purchased a Tri Colour CBR300R none ABS model today! Pick it up on Saturday afternoon as it needs registering etc and I want a quieter day to pick it up as it'll be my first time on the road on a manual bike so want a quiet ride home.

May drive steady round the corner to an unused company car park and ride it round that for 20minutes to get a feel for it!

Super excited! :D

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Well I've done it! Purchased a Tri Colour CBR300R none ABS model today! Super excited! :D
Good on ya mate! exciting times for you, hope the week doesn't pass too slowly..... you wont be disappointed. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got the bike today. 1km on the clock to start with and a nice 31c day in Auckland, NZ.

Was nervous/excited and managed to leave the dealer without stalling and making a tit of myself. Drove round the corner and into a business car park and just drove in a few circles, shifting etc, but it was too small a car park so I drove off slowly and found a quiet side road. Did probably 20 stops and starts to get a feel for it before hitting the road back home. All seemed to go good, didn't have any problems with shifting except a few times I didn't quiet engage it so it just revved but I got better. Had my first "yeeeeeh" moment going up a hill where my poxy 50cc scooter would struggle above 30km/h, but the Honda hit 70 no probs!

First that that struck me though is the weight of the bike. I know its light, but from a scooter its a big step up. Got more confident in my 20km trip home. Loving it so far though, really happy with the purchase! Bike looks MEGA! :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Congratulations. Yes, some of the small scooters are a lot lighter, but this is a very light motorcycle. No under-seat storage though. I take a backpack. I saw a brilliant idea on one of the forums a while back. Someone needed to take more gear with them, so they put one backpack on their back and another one on their front. I tried it once on a trip. Works brilliantly. They counterbalance each other and take strain off of your back. Looks a little weird and you could be mistaken for a suicide bomber is the downside.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Good stuff, sounds like the start of a great relationship!

I clearly remember riding home my first big road bike after having only ridden trail bikes before. It was a Honda VF750 and quite a lot of bike for an 18yr old! I had to stop at one stage and re-gather myself as the sensory overload got too much!
Enjoy your new toy :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
congrats puk, and welcome. I hope you enjoy your 300 as much as the rest of us. I love it so much I sold off my cruisers for it. glad to hear you are cautious, and building confidence. Take your time and ride at your pace and skill level. I watched my GF struggle on a bike that didn't feel good to her. she picked up her 300R, and is in love. I have watched her grow in confidence and love her 300 more than anything. the 300 is a fantastic bike. good luck, ride safe, and enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts