Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
(**disclaimer** started it again while engine was cool and noise continues. Please disregard 'while engine is hot' in topic title.**thanks)

Riding a 'CBR300r'. New rider with new bike. About 145 miles on it right now, so I haven't taken it for it's first service yet. I ride it everyday as it's now my daily commute. (work is a mile away) I've been taking it out on the highway to help break it in.

Yesterday I noticed a noise, like a ticking or rattling noise coming from underneath, didn't think anything of it as it wasn't loud. Well today, being my first off day I took it out for a good two hours and near the end the noise was noticeably louder. It wasn't making the noise at idle at first (I think, I could be wrong) but when I got home I took it in the garage and the ticking noise sounds like it's coming from the engine even while at idle. I took a video.

http://youtu.be/1z8C0Xjccc0

At first I thought it was the chain stretching and thus being loose. but the chain wasn't moving, as you can see in the video.

I haven't noticed the ticking getting any faster when throttling up. And the noise kind of dies out at higher rpms.

I'm stumped, and not sure if it's safe to take out on the road as is.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'll try to answer any other questions.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's very hard to judge noise over the interweb, but I can't hear anything untoward. It sounds just like mine which has 80kms on the clock.

I assume the oil level is correct? Remember the bike must be vertical when checking the level, otherwise it will appear to be higher than it really is.

If in doubt - which you are - and given it's a new bike under warranty, just take it to the dealer and get them to listen. If the oil level is OK and you haven't done anything to the bike other than ride it, then you'll be covered should the engine eat itself on the way over.

:D

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Could be the notorious fuel cap rattle striking again! :eek:
Suggest thread search. Keyword: rattle
Make yourself comfortable first... :D

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
It's very hard to judge noise over the interweb, but I can't hear anything untoward. It sounds just like mine which has 80kms on the clock.

I assume the oil level is correct? Remember the bike must be vertical when checking the level, otherwise it will appear to be higher than it really is.
Should read "... otherwise it will appear to be lower than it really is."

If in doubt - which you are - and given it's a new bike under warranty, just take it to the dealer and get them to listen.
This is what I'd do.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't wish to sound flippant or indeed judgemental here. Your daily commute is a mile each way and you use your motorcycle? If that were me Id walk or cycle get fitter, save a fortune on unnecessary gym fees then just take my motorcycle out in good weather, meaner, leaner and ride fit.
but each to their own.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't wish to sound flippant or indeed judgemental here. Your daily commute is a mile each way and you use your motorcycle? If that were me Id walk or cycle.
I don't know, my commute is about a mile as well, and i take my motorcycle every day. It makes the commute a **** of a lot more fun, especially when you can get out of work at the end of the day and hop on a bike and take the long way home. I Know I could walk or ride a bicycle, but fitness isn't a concern for me, as my job entails 8 hours of physical activity. I'd rather enjoy the commute on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Advise for you guys who are only riding a very short distance to work (anything less than 5 miles one way)... your engine is not reaching anywhere near full operating temperature in that one mile commute. Engine oil that doesn't reach full operating temp will collect a lot of moisture in the form of condensation due to the repeated partial heat up and cool down cycles, whereas engines which are always run up to full operating temp every time it's started won't have the issue of condensation/moisture in the oil.

I would strongly recommend changing your engine oil & filter a lot more frequently than what would be considered a typical or normal oil change 'mileage' interval. I'm thinking at least twice a riding season (or every 1000 miles) for that type of low mileage use.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have 160 miles on my bike too and I can tell you mine sounds exactly the same. Funny thing is I just noticed it the other day too, while warming up. To me it sounded like the valves. Thought I trashed it already lol. My friend works at the Honda service center so I ran up just to let him listen. He said its totally normal. I think the reason I just noticed it now was because I put on a new exhaust and I have really been listening to everything. Mostly to see if there's an air leak at the midpipe. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Advise for you guys who are only riding a very short distance to work (anything less than 5 miles one way)... your engine is not reaching anywhere near full operating temperature in that one mile commute. Engine oil that doesn't reach full operating temp will collect a lot of moisture in the form of condensation due to the repeated partial heat up and cool down cycles, whereas engines which are always run up to full operating temp every time it's started won't have the issue of condensation/moisture in the oil.

I would strongly recommend changing your engine oil & filter a lot more frequently than what would be considered a typical or normal oil change 'mileage' interval. I'm thinking at least twice a riding season (or every 1000 miles) for that type of low mileage use.

+1^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't wish to sound flippant or indeed judgemental here. Your daily commute is a mile each way and you use your motorcycle? If that were me Id walk or cycle get fitter, save a fortune on unnecessary gym fees then just take my motorcycle out in good weather, meaner, leaner and ride fit.
but each to their own.
I used to walk, but after being promoted a few times (I'm now a manager) it doesn't exactly look that good to my employee's. Also I do in fact love taking it out after work and taking the 'long way home'. ;) I just happen to be in a circumstance where it's actually viable, as I'm sure it's not for many other people. Thank you for the positive thinking though!

I have 160 miles on my bike too and I can tell you mine sounds exactly the same. Funny thing is I just noticed it the other day too, while warming up. To me it sounded like the valves. Thought I trashed it already lol. My friend works at the Honda service center so I ran up just to let him listen. He said its totally normal. I think the reason I just noticed it now was because I put on a new exhaust and I have really been listening to everything. Mostly to see if there's an air leak at the midpipe. I would not worry about it.
Thanks for this! though I haven't put on a new exhaust or anything I agree with the fact that I haven't really had enough time to listen. I plan on running by the dealer and having them take a listen to make sure im not going insane. :nerd:

Advice taken! :D

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
but each to their own.
I worked for the Dept of Conservation for 10 years so I cycle to work, otherwise I was a hypocrite all that time!
Gotta practise what you preach :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
long way home

I can dig that sentiment:):) I too take the long way home from work. I get to finish at lunch time and so I get a lot of playtime in while the wage slaves are still at it.
I'm all done and dusted and feeling satisfied by the time office warrior joins the snail train back home.
Keep on keepin on bro:D

·
Registered
447 Posts
You know how to check the fuel cap for a rattle, right? Just pressing on it wouldn't show you if that's the problem, you have to tap on it. It took me a couple of months to locate my rattle. If it is the fuel cap, you can possibly press down an rotate it a little to stop the problem. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7V6QzuiaUU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts