Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
If you saw my post in the intro forum you know that I started of on a small cruiser. Since I started riding the CBR I have noticed that I don't even get half as many waves from fellow riders on cruisers as I used to. All the other sport bike folks still wave. I spoke to a friend whose 70 year old father and lifelong rider said many cruiser riders are disgusted by sport bike riders. Saddens me to think that any of this is true.
Have any of you experienced this or do you know of any unspoken hatred by the cruiser community toward the sport bike guys? I truly hope this is not the case. One of the reasons I started riding was because of the camaraderie. I used to drive a jeep and I loved the community associated with those. You'd think as long as we're all on two wheels we're all brothers/sisters.
Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Funny story about the "wave:"

My previous bike was a 599 (in case you couldn't tell from my pic). The front headlight is round, so when other bikes would approach from head on, they often thought I was riding a cruiser. It was kind of funny seeing guys start to give me the "wave," then hurry and pull their hand back in disgust because they realized that I was on a sport bike instead.

Not sure why there has to be some kind of rivalry here. People just like to ride different machines, and that's ok. Maybe it's because there are a few douche bags out there who give us a bad name.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just a culture thing. I have noticed that in a big group of sport-bikes we still get waves from cruisers and ADV bikes, but on my own not usually. I could care less anyways, if they don't like bikes with actual performance they have poor taste.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I know what you mean. Most bikers are good with the waves in my area... The waves aren't what bother me, it's the negative look some adults stare at me with. Kids on the other hand look at sport bikes as the coolest thing on the planet (amazing how innocent and naive they can be compared to a grown adult). I try not to let it bother me... If some want to keep their minds closed and shut like that, I'm cool with it.

Back on topic to the waves... As Mahatma Gandhi once said, "Be the change that you wish to see in the world." Meaning that you just keep waving and stick with that positive attitude. It will influence others out there. I don't give a **** on what someone is riding or what they look like inside their helmet, I'm religious about waving to ALL oncoming riders. We're one. Any hatred or prejudice is disgusting and is pure garbage dating back from last century's BS "fairy tale" reasoning.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Just an another possibility, is that it could also be the level of riding gear you wear.

I don't think that someone on a sport bike who's only real piece of proper gear is a helmet is going to get the same kind of respect (read acknowledgement) as a sport bike rider who's wearing full motorcycle gear head to toe would. Let's face it, wearing a tee shirt, jeans and Nike running shoes while riding a sport bike is at the very least may be seen by many as Someone Who Doesn't Know What They're Doing.

Conversely, wearing full motorcycle gear can't help but garner some amount of first impression respect from those who otherwise do not even know you, much like in the way a 'well put together' man in a sharp Hugo Boss or Brooks Brothers suit does.

Reactions: Luke Offield

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an another possibility, is that it could also be the level of riding gear you wear.
I wear a jacket (scorpion), full-face (HBC), and gloves that all match the color scheme of my bike. A tad hard to miss and certainly does not give the impression of half-assery. :cool: but I do see your point.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
To me ..we are supposed to be a Motorcycle Community (Brothers or Sisters so to speak). I do not care what some one is wearing when I wave. I probably don't care for their use of T-shirts/sandals etc but the point to me is that I wave to signify our love of Motorcycles and just to say "Hi".

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hey there,
If you saw my post in the intro forum you know that I started of on a small cruiser. Since I started riding the CBR I have noticed that I don't even get half as many waves from fellow riders on cruisers as I used to. All the other sport bike folks still wave. I spoke to a friend whose 70 year old father and lifelong rider said many cruiser riders are disgusted by sport bike riders. Saddens me to think that any of this is true.
Have any of you experienced this or do you know of any unspoken hatred by the cruiser community toward the sport bike guys? I truly hope this is not the case. One of the reasons I started riding was because of the camaraderie. I used to drive a jeep and I loved the community associated with those. You'd think as long as we're all on two wheels we're all brothers/sisters.
Thanks!
Every single sport bike rider I see, no matter if it's a 250r or a Hyabusa all give the 'hand down 2 finger wave'. Every single cruiser I see except the occasional Honda will not 'wave' either.
I know they don't particularly care for our 'jap bikes/rice rockets' but it's still the open road bro!
Oh and btw at least in my town, these cruisers don't wear ANY safety gear, including helmets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While there is a helmet law here, most cruiser riders don't wear much other gear. I have only seen a few sport riders who don't fully suit up. I admit that, when it's really hot out and I'm only going the handful of blocks to work, sometimes I forego the jacket. Most of the time I'll have it all on though (don't want to ruin my tattoos).

·
Banned
777 Posts
I got a lot more waves on my 25MPH moped, than on any small bike I've owned.
Also a few on my 125cc.
Nothing on my Rebel, or GS500.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The riding position on cruiser is a sexual position. Imagine the cruiser rider sitting on a bed in the same riding position... The bike vibrates in deep, primordial vibes... How can a man having sex wave? :p

On a less serious note: a motorcycle can be an incredible potent extension of the rider's ego. Big cruisers
have become associated with a "bad boy" image, "look at me, a real, tough biker; I've made it".
Such egotistic people are not likely to acknowledge anything/anyone that doesn't fit that image.

Honda used to have a marketing slogan "You Meet The Nicest People On A Honda".
I think that had...and to some degree still has..some (a lot of?) truth in it. Hondas are
not considered "bad boy" bikes, or "cool dude" bikes. Thus a person buying a Honda bike
is not going to be as an ego-maniac.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ Good points.
My father-in-law, a 50+ year rider, told me he has never liked cruisers and the associated mindset because of things like that. He is opposed to the idea that if you're not wearing the uniform, the "biker pirate" as he calls it, then you tend to not be acknowledged by other cruisers. This just about completely covers the Harley community.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
On a less serious note: a motorcycle can be an incredible potent extension of the rider's ego. Big cruisers
have become associated with a "bad boy" image, "look at me, a real, tough biker; I've made it".
Such egotistic people are not likely to acknowledge anything/anyone that doesn't fit that image.

I think that had...and to some degree still has..some (a lot of?) truth in it. Hondas are
not considered "bad boy" bikes, or "cool dude" bikes. Thus a person buying a Honda bike
Couldn't agree more Michael, my main riding buddy has an Aprilia sportster but traditionally he has been (and still is) a Harley man. He is all about image like you wouldn't believe.
He doesn't like my bike and doesn't get why I ride it and hates it even worse when I stuff it up the inside of him in a bend Ha ha! :laugh: :D

I'm anti image, it's all about the riding for me. I like my bike to look sharp tho and some of my mods are for aesthetic reasons as well as functionality but on the whole it's about being out there riding instead of back in the garage polishing chrome or making sure your leather waist coat matches your trousers.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Banned
777 Posts
Sometimes, especially at a green light, I want to keep both hands on the handlebars, so i can actually shift gears!
Other times, I get tired of waving at everyone on a bike, especially when they don't wave back.

You used to see only a real biker riding over here, but after the economic crash, more people have sought refuge in a bike's good fuel efficiency, trying to save a buck or two.

In the end, most of them give it up after a year. There's an overload of Honda cruisers for sale here.
A 2008 bike, or before, with between 500cc to 1200cc, and 3+k miles, can easily be found for under $3k.
That's 2 to 4x the ccs of a new 300, for half the price.

I guess you could say in 2014 about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the bikers on the road, didn't ride their bikes for more than a few weekends a year, and 2nd hand websites usually had the same bike resurface about every other 3k miles.

2013 and 2015 have been horrible years for bike riding over here, with almost the entire year rain...
Never seen it anywhere close rain this much in FL, in the last 10 years. Then again, from 2005 on, FL has seen a drought that lasted a good 7 years, and almost depleted South Florida drinking supply, Lake Okeechobee.

2013 alone filled up that lake within a few months!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the bikers on the road today, and for the past 3 years, aren't all real bikers,
Meaning they don't have a real love for bikes, or riding.
They might have some ego problems, by wanting to be seen, or looking cool, but no real interest in the ride, the journey, or other bikes than theirs.

Someone that does have a love for bikes, generally will want to spend a little more than a few weekends riding a year...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The riding position on cruiser is a sexual position. Imagine the cruiser rider sitting on a bed in the same riding position... The bike vibrates in deep, primordial vibes... How can a man having sex wave? :p

"Cruiser" sexual position?.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts