Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
In what way is the handling improved? Great that its lighter, always a bonus on a small displacement bike :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
where to buy the ohlins and racetech? part numbers? can you post pictures of the suspension mods? Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
back end tracks better, feels planted and stable, not bumpy/jolting, cornering better then I have ever before, so smooth

Now with Ohlins rear end and racetech front end the bike feels fantastic, best mod for the bike!
I really hate that about the stock rear shock. There's a few roads where I live that have some bumps mid corner and since the shock is already under load it can't handle them and it feels very unstable. I won't be able to afford an Ohlins shock for a while but thanks for the YouTube vids they're helpful.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes Videos are quite useful..Thanks very much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
thats hilarious, ive been subbed to you for a while, when i saw your rattlesnake video in my sub box i was sooo surprised loool. keep up the good videos!

·
Registered
289 Posts
click on the video link on the first post, you'll also see other videos I made for the 300f. And my signature is the link to my youtube channel.

I got my racetech and ohlins from BattleScooter in Sunnyvale, CA

I'm looking into the Ohlins, the one you have the HO426 S36DR1? how hard was it to set the rebound? Did you ever find yourself messing with it? I'm considering buying the cheaper one without rebound adjustment, my thought is once I set sag I shouldn't need to keep messing with it for the type of riding I do. Its hard finding info on these things.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah HO426. Rebound is easy just had play around with it until if feels best overall for your riding. Shocks do break-in just like most other stuff so will need to adjust again.....can't remember how many miles bike had when I first installed the ohlins but usually suspension needs at least 3k miles to fully break in. Think you should save up a little more for the adjustable rebound, it's worth it.

When you get an ohlins, they will ask if you want street or track valving, I got street. And my spring is for a 160-180# rider. My riding weight is 160# so I could also gotten one spring softer (140-160#) but I ain't getting any skinnier...but also if I take a road trip I'll be carrying about 20# worth of stuff.

If what ever place you decide to get the ohlins from and they don't ask you about riding weight and valving, don't buy it from them, it should be custom for you an not what they just got.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah HO426. Rebound is easy just had play around with it until if feels best overall for your riding. Shocks do break-in just like most other stuff so will need to adjust again.....can't remember how many miles bike had when I first installed the ohlins but usually suspension needs at least 3k miles to fully break in. Think you should save up a little more for the adjustable rebound, it's worth it.

When you get an ohlins, they will ask if you want street or track valving, I got street. And my spring is for a 160-180# rider. My riding weight is 160# so I could also gotten one spring softer (140-160#) but I ain't getting any skinnier...but also if I take a road trip I'll be carrying about 20# worth of stuff.

If what ever place you decide to get the ohlins from and they don't ask you about riding weight and valving, don't buy it from them, it should be custom for you an not what they just got.
Cool thanks, yeah good idea, I'll go with the adjustable one. I checked around a few places and there's some pretty big price differences so I'm going to get some quotes then dive in.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
@DaBinChe Was there a specific reason you went with Ohlins? Other than price. I just did the front race tech too .85 and was looking at the Ohlins but I also was looking into the Nitron R3.
Is there a difference between the HO 122 for the 250r and the HO 426 for the 300?
Nitron R3 Shock Honda CBR300R / CBR250R - RevZilla

You can also purchase according to weight and it comes with a remote hydraulic preload adjuster(which I wouldn't get). Any opinions on the Nitron?

Also found out that a 06 - 09 GSXR600 rear shock is a direct bolt on, and the SV650's can be mounted but another hole has to be drilled on the clevis...12. 25 inches eye to eye. Then you have the R6 that was done in the 250r forum but requires a bit of customization like shaving part of the frame which I wouldn't get involved with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
@DaBinChe Was there a specific reason you went with Ohlins? Other than price. I just did the front race tech too .85 and was looking at the Ohlins but I also was looking into the Nitron R3.
Is there a difference between the HO 122 for the 250r and the HO 426 for the 300?
Nitron R3 Shock Honda CBR300R / CBR250R - RevZilla

You can also purchase according to weight and it comes with a remote hydraulic preload adjuster(which I wouldn't get). Any opinions on the Nitron?

Also found out that a 06 - 09 GSXR600 rear shock is a direct bolt on, and the SV650's can be mounted but another hole has to be drilled on the clevis...12. 25 inches eye to eye. Then you have the R6 that was done in the 250r forum but requires a bit of customization like shaving part of the frame which I wouldn't get involved with.
HO122 is only preload adjustable, HO426 is preload and rebound adjustable. Same shock for the 250/300.

I did a lot of research into the R6 shock, even bought one. You don't need the shave the frame on a non-abs model, just need a shim stack. Only problem is that it's sprung and valved for a heavier bike. my cb300f is ~330 lbs. the r6 is ~420 lbs. so it's almost a 100 lbs difference, it would make setting up the dampening a pain in the ass, and I don't want a really high s/r for a street bike. Something to consider. I would go with a Nitron r3 if money wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never heard of nitron before, looks like it is very adjustable which explains the price, would be kinda a headache to to tune.

I went with ohlins cause they really do make the best suspension, but there are different ranges/levels, and just feels better then other brands.

M- on the race tech you got, did you get the emulator too? you should if not. It'll balance really well once you get a rear shock, other wise the front will be pogo-ey

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Never heard of nitron before, looks like it is very adjustable which explains the price, would be kinda a headache to to tune.

I went with ohlins cause they really do make the best suspension, but there are different ranges/levels, and just feels better then other brands.

M- on the race tech you got, did you get the emulator too? you should if not. It'll balance really well once you get a rear shock, other wise the front will be pogo-ey
Well the front end kinda went together in installments ha. Springs first, then back out, 20w fork oil put in, then springs back in, then preload adjusters. So the gold emulators are on my list somewhere:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just ordered my HO426 S36DR1 for $415 plus $16 shipping. I'm also dropping off my forks to Race Tech since there around the block. Going to have the new springs, gold emulator and SSR preload adjuster install for around $579. I cant wait to test them out.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Does anybody know where the point of diminishing returns is with the 300's forks? By that I mean, given that our forks 'external' design is fairly low-spec (thin tubes, RWU design, no fork brace, limited bracing around the steering head, etc), there will be a point at which this becomes the limiting factor, mostly due to flex. That's not to say improving the internals is a waste of time, because well-controlled suspension (not just stiffened) can help in ways other than max attack situations, but if your aim is to improve 'max attack' performance, you have to consider how far you can go before you 'over capitalise' those forks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts