Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am about to do my first oil change for my cb300fa the manual say filter should be replace fot the first oil change. i am wondering about the gasket does the oil filter gasket need to be replace together with the filter every oil change?

Thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello i am about to do my first oil change for my cb300fa the manual say filter should be replace fot the first oil change. i am wondering about the gasket does the oil filter gasket need to be replace together with the filter every oil change?

Thank you.
Yes, the gasket needs to be replaced with the filter every oil change. Please note that new oil filters always come new gaskets so there should be no additional purchase.

[I do not own a cb300f YET, so if the original poster is referring to something different, someone please correct me]

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts

Thank you.

You can reuse the oil filter cover gasket, as it is a metal compression type of gasket. What this means is it has a ridge that goes all the way around the gasket, and when the filter cover bolts are tightened down, the cover compresses this ridge on the gasket which then forms the seal.

I've reused my original oil filter cover gasket for the first 3 oil & filter changes, and then finally replaced it with a new gasket at the 4th change, as the compression ridge was looking a bit flattened out as compared to a new gasket.

In any case, the oil filter cover gasket isn't expensive... about $3.50 USD... Honda P/N 15412-KYJ-901 GASKET

When doing an oil change, you'll also want to have a new crush washer for the crankcase drain plug... Honda P/N 94109-12000 WASHER, DRAIN (12MM)

And here's the oil filter you need... Honda P/N 15410-KYJ-901 ELEMENT, OIL FILTER

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Yes, the gasket needs to be replaced with the filter every oil change.
The filter cover gasket doesn't necessarily need to be replaced at every oil filter change, as long as it is in good condition and not deformed, it can be reused... see my previous post for a detailed explanation of this type of gasket.

Please note that new oil filters always come new gaskets so there should be no additional purchase.
Honda only sells the cover gasket as a separate part... it is not included with the oil filter.

Reactions: Knights2theEnd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys... and yes my dealer says the oil filter gasket cover is seperate with the engine oil filter. good thing to know about the drain plug washer might have a new one installed with the fresh oil change.

Anyone know the correct torque settings to tighten bolts for the engine oil filter cover?

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The filter cover gasket doesn't necessarily need to be replaced at every oil filter change, as long as it is in good condition and not deformed, it can be reused... see my previous post for a detailed explanation of this type of gasket.

Honda only sells the cover gasket as a separate part... it is not included with the oil filter.
Thank you for the correction!

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Thanks guys... and yes my dealer says the oil filter gasket cover is seperate with the engine oil filter. good thing to know about the drain plug washer might have a new one installed with the fresh oil change.
You'll need to replace the drain plug washer at each oil change... it's an aluminum crush washer, which means it is intended to deform when the drain plug is torqued (18 ft lbs. for the drain plug). If it is not replaced, you could very well have engine oil leaking from the drain plug. Besides, the drain plug washer only costs about $0.60, so there is no reason not to replace it every time.

Anyone know the correct torque settings to tighten bolts for the engine oil filter cover?
The filter cover screws can be snapped pretty easily, so you definitely do not want to use a 3/8" drive torque wrench on them... it's way too big of a torque wrench for this application. If you happen to own one of those expensive ($400) Snap-On 1/4" drive digital inch/pound torque wrench, that would work really well for this application.

To tighten these filter cover screws, use either a 1/4" drive ratchet with an 8 mm socket, or an 8 mm nut driver to hand tighten them. After the flanges of all four screw head are lightly seated against the cover, snug them down to about one quarter turn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont own a small torque wrench actually i was about to look for one if they are expensive as you say they are motomike i might just have to use a small ratchet and tight it lightly.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
I use K&N filters I get online and because I'm 160km from my nearest Honda dealer I just reuse the gasket and the drain plug washer. Still waiting for my first leak. Both are easy to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did my first oil change about a week ago and I replaced the oil filter cover gasket but it's leaking oil from the gasket. Is anyone else having this issue? It's really frustrating.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I purchased everything I needed from Honda (including oil) for $45. I replace the gasket out of good practise. I did up the filter cover bolts with a quarter inch ratchet and just using my thumb and two fingers to do it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tighten the bolts up and let it run for a few and after about 5 minutes of riding I already have some oil leaking onto the exhaust and ground. The gasket is brand new so this shouldn't be happening but yet it still is.

·
Registered
236 Posts
FYI I think Revzilla is a good place to get everything you need to purchase. I wanted to buy from Amazon originally, because we have a Prime membership. However, the parts all ended up costing more on Amazon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I bought an extra gasket to keep on hand, but the gasket is not a paper gasket. Unlikely it will tear or fall apart and should be able to be reused indefinitely. My first clue this was true was when I couldn't find one available at 3 different dealerships. My second clue was MotoMike told me it's reusable. LOL. Funny story about that. I finally found one in San Antonio and this was last winter and I was wearing a sweatshirt with a breast pocket that has a Velcro closure, so I stuck it in there. When I got home the dang gasket was gone. Musta flew out of the pocket when I was riding...or so I thought. That's when I started calling around and couldn't find another and before I knew it didn't need to be changed. One day I was putting this same sweatshirt on before my ride and something made a crinkling sound. Turns out the pocket wrapped way around so the opening was much smaller than the pocket itself and the gasket and plastic wrapper it came in had just moved over to one side.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
honda gn4 oil change kit has new gasket
15412-kyj-901 in the box with oil and filter..

gasket/cover shouldnt leak [obviously]
when installed correctly/normally..
something, must be allowing the leak..
its possible, that uneven tightening of
fasterners could allow some leakage..

best to finger tighten cover bolts first,
checking for nice contact and alignment
then with hand wrench [or socket]
take them in until light resistance,
in a 1 - 3 - 2 - 4 sequence..

then repeat that sequence til resistance felt..
just normal strength together with pivot
effect of the tool is enough, no need to
put effort into it..

repeat again if you like,
but its enough to take fasterner threads
into torque and a touch more..
after that threads dont have much room
for give, and to avoid stripping threads
of engine case, bolt head strength
is such as will give first..

ie, if bolt head breaks off
it has done its job protecting
engine case threads from
being stripped..

if you tighten in broken sequence
without monstering it, and have any
concerns about it, just keep an eye on it..
once those threads are secure its
unlikely any will come out..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I redid it two more times and it's still leaking so I decided screw it I'll let honda deal with it. They took a quick look and the tech said it looks like it coming from the water pump weep hole which is covered by the warranty but still is gonna pull it apart to make sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts