Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..

Just wondering.... The gasket that is used on the oil filter cover.. do you guys reuse it, or just replace it with every oil change?.. Cost is not the issue..

Just looking to see if you generally replace it with every oil change, or every other oil change etc...

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
I reused the original gasket for 3 oil filter changes on my CBR250R, and it was still in decent shape at the 4th oil change when I replaced it with a new gasket.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree, its good for at least 2 or 3 oil changes but be very delicate and gentle with it. Also the oil bolt washer is good for about 3 oil changes as well I think. Some people say to turn the oil bolt washer inside out (not sure the proper terminology but I think you understand what I am saying).

I will tell you a story from another forum:

Dude was reusing his oil bolt washer for like the 10th time.

He noticed some small droplets of oil so he figured "Must not be tight enough" so he torqued it down tighter.

He noticed some small droplets of oil so he figured "Must not be tight enough" so he torqued it down tighter.

He noticed some small droplets of oil so he figured "Must not be tight enough" so he torqued it down REAL tight. Used all his strength.......

Heard a loud CRACK! Oil started gushing out! Like a torrent!

So the lesson learned is dont "push it" when it comes to reusing the washer. 3 times maximum.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I replace it every time. Drain plug washer every other time. Just seems the reasonable thing to do. It’s not like either of them cost any real money.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can purchase a pack of the copper washers at any autozone or such for nothing. Good to have in the workshop. Without replacing it is a good idea to anneal the washer by heating it up to slightly glowing ( I use a map gas torch if I'm not replacing the washer, which I do almost every time) and letting it cool gradually. It will re-soften the copper and allow it to seal better. As for tightening the drain plug, if you are not an experienced wrencher, I suggest a torque wrench so you don't have to learn how to replace the sump pan. Good insurance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My concern is how many times can the oil bolt threads support 10 years worth of oil changes before they get worn out or cross-threaded? These Fumoto valves literally last a lifetime, you can keep reusing it on future motorcycles or cars so that is how I talked myself into buying it. And no more burned hands from the hot oil. But Im keeping the old bolt to put it back in when I sell the motorcycle. Im planning to keep it 10 years and I wonder if anyone will even want to buy my CB300F in 2029? We shall see

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, if you think about it, most folks don't ride 10k miles a year (of course some do) so realistically your only changing the oil 1 maybe 2 times a year (so that's 10 maybe 15 changes in 10 years). I wouldn't worry about the threads if properly torqued down. They should last the lifetime of the bike. I've been riding on the street for 28 years and never had an issue. Now, what I do worry about with the little gizmo shown is how far does it hang down under the bike? I would hate to have something hit that (curb, rock, etc) and rip that puppy off. If that happens, again, you are learning how to replace the sump.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It sticks out 26.5 mm (1.02 inch) Here is more info and dimensions:

https://ezoildrain.com/product/ez-109

I think it should be fine as far as clearance. Im doing next oil change in January but I will post about it if I end up not liking the product. I have a fumoto on my car and it has been a great convenience. This is my first time with this other cheaper brand that is a knockoff of Fumoto

Update: I changed my mind and cancelled the order. Truth is I already have 3 extra crush washers so it is not worth the money actually for me to install this valve. Especially since I will only be doing 1 oil change per year so I decided to cancel the order before it shipped out. Also on eBay I found our M12 washers at $1.19 for a pack of 10 (shipped slow from China)

No more paying $1.50 each from the Dealership.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6-M8-M10-M12-M14-Motorcycle-ATV-Brake-Fuel-Banjo-Seal-Copper-Crush-Washer/253312951130?var=552467557412

·
Registered
50 Posts
There ya go. People tend to over think things from time to time. In my world, less is more. Drain plugs have been unchanged for many, many years. There is a reason for that...it works. Now, would I like to have a simple valve to open\close to make it easier? Sure. But I want nothing hanging down any further below my bike that holds a critical component such as oil. Just replace the washer and enjoy the ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts