Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So im at 1910m today and checked my oil with the sight glass and torch, grey oil?, seems strange as its only done 1200m since its last service.
Any way I have some bog standard 10/40 semi in the garage I ran my CG on for two years along with 2 litres of motul and new filter and gasket, I though I might drain the oil and run the 10/40 semi for a few minutes to flush the crap out then change oil and filter again, any thoughts on this or why the oil would look grey?.
Ta
Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I would definitely be concerned if the oil is looking grey after so few miles. Just a guess, but it could indicate some internal part (bearing?) that has failed. I'd recommend talking to a dealer service department about this and see what they think. You could also send a sample of the oil in for analysis.

Typically, new oil has a light amber tint which then turns to a darker honey color as it gets miles logged on it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what happened with the old bike, Ive read it could be the alloy clutch plate material, will drain and flush over the weekend.If its a bearing the bike will be going back not fit for purpose.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Thats what happened with the old bike, Ive read it could be the alloy clutch plate material, will drain and flush over the weekend. If its a bearing the bike will be going back not fit for purpose.

Mark
With the bike being under warranty, I would take in to the dealer with the oil as is. Let them deal with it, as something is not right.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I drained it this morning and its black, must have been the led light making it look grey in the sight glass :eek: , flushed it and put new oil and filter in anyway for piece of mind. Not sure whether to do the changes at 2500m or 3000m.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
That's a good result then Mark. I do my oil changes every 4000km which is 2500miles if that helps. I work on the theory that 1500ml of oil and an $11 filter is cheap engine insurance. Also. because I change it often I don't feel the need to invest in expensive fully synthetic oils.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Still seems strange that it would be that contaminated at only 1900 miles. I run about 4000 miles between oil & filter changes on my bike, and the drained oil is nowhere near being "black". It's translucent, and similar to the color of dark honey.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still seems strange that it would be that contaminated at only 1900 miles. I run about 4000 miles between oil & filter changes on my bike, and the drained oil is nowhere near being "black". It's translucent, and similar to the color of dark honey.
The Motul 5100 is dark brown in colour new anyway, might try Silkoline Comp 4 next time. More like 1300 miles, it had a change at 250m, warranty at 700m and this at 1910. It doesnt get thrashed and its only a small amount of stop/start.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts