Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a really long commute this morning about 40 miles on the freeway, most of it high rpm and around 80 mph. When I parked I noticed a little spout at the bottom of my engine leaking oil!

Does anyone know what this is? There was a good couple drops on the ground after about 4 hours of sitting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I actually cant see any oil in that photo at all. If its only a couple of drops I wouldn't be bothered, It's when you've got a puddle that you start worrying!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got another picture, it's been sitting all day and has a pretty consistent oil drip, was also leaking coolant from the same spout after the long ride yesterday. Going to look into warranty repairs I'll keep updating in case anyone else runs into this.

Edit: after a good amount of googling I found this thread:

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...e-oil-leak.html#/forumsite/20735/topics/26634

I guess it's a recurring problem that's been carried over from the 250's since its basically the same engine. Will still look into making a warranty claim, might as well just so it's documented on paper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
That's really interesting, I didn't even know this weep hole existed. The 250 website is a little mine of information. I don't think a lot of the members realise how similar the two bikes are.
So it doesn't sound like your leak is a major concern but yeah, worth getting checked out under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have not had a single drop of oilleak on any Honda engine i have owned, cars bikes ATV, or lawnmower.. strange that yours have. It must be something you can take to a dealer and get a waranty job. Here in Norway we have 5 years waranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess if you have that, the extended warranty might be a good thing to take. (USA has 1 year warranty only, but can buy the extended warranty before the end of the 12 months).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The price the dealer offered me on extended warranty was pretty expensive so I decided against purchasing it. I still have another six months left on my factory warranty if I continue to run into problems I'll get the extension. According to Hondas website,
"Deadline

HondaCare Protection can prolong genuine Honda coverage, but it's only available while your new-vehicle warranty is still in effect. Check your paperwork carefully, because when your warranty expires, so does this offer."

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Updating this for anyone else that might encounter the same problem. Had the water pump "rebuilt" under warranty, they replaced the mechanical seal. I thrashed my bike really good on the 30 mile freeway trip back to my house. Not a single drop of oil or coolant fter shutting it off so I guess it's fixed for now.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts